Thread: Evasion Modified negativly by Armor

Default Evasion Modified negativly by Armor

ok I was readying about the new werewolves and a monks ability to evade being useless. I agree. Why not have armor types produce negative evasion modifiers. everyone knows Heavy armor is bulky and somewhat difficult to be agile in. A person in armor gains the benefit of absorbing some damage but being hit more often as they can't dodge as well as someone unarmored.

So even if you multi classed Monk to 100 if you wear armor your evasion would go way down basically negating the benefit of training monk. But if you wear lighter or no armor then hey.

Would also give people a reason to use lighter Armors.

P.S. Just a thought but could also make ethereal or magical armors made of Plate that were less bulky (less negatives on evasion) allowing for special techs to be added to armor types.

Default Re: Evasion Modified negativly by Armor

Because Monks/Disciples aren't the only school Evasion is important to?

Spearmen are defensive "tanks." This means they are able to block, parry, and evade more often and far better than any offensive "tank." True, they wouldn't, and shouldn't, be as good at evading as a Monk/Disciple but I believe they are second to them. And Spearmen are restricted to Ring/Chain armor types. Add a penalty too severe and Spearmen become an unviable school.

True, but one of the Spearmen class ablilities could be bonuses to evade to offset the negatives from the armor and it could only be applied when wearing armor. It could be done.

Or the limit to "evade" is made up by their ability to "block" and "parry", something monks (as monks) can't do (don't think they can weild a shield) and don't think wraps allow a parry.

So the spearman gains
    1) Armor
    2) Parry
    3) Block

But looses some
    1) Evasion

Seems fair.

And as mentioned there could be "special" armor techs that lighten the armor, or use the special silvers to make other armor or other things.

But again, lowering evasion (and possibly lowering spell casting) due to heavy armor isn't (my opinion) a bad thing.

Clerics get block (don't know if they get parry) so their lower evasion made up by block.

Blood Mages get low AU so they can't even wear armor of their level (72nd level blood mage with 500 AU), so armor is low, evasion is null, no block, no parry. But is made up with life stealling spells/abilities.

Sorcerers are pretty much in the same boat as blood mage, but instead of life stealing, they rely on stuns/mezzes.

I am all for lowering evasion (assuming mobs are rebalanced too) due to armor, and would go so far as to say it needs to lower magic use too (-% to spell casting depending on heavyness of the armor). Again, with some counter to this for the armor BattleMages can wear.

The spearman dodging as well as the monk + block + parry makes playing the monk seem worthless (and thus the multi-classing justification). In my opinion.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Monks can parry. Handwraps allow for the use of parry how ever it does require one multiclass to gain the ability.

There should be an evasion penalty for wearing armour, there should also be a different skill requirement for wearing cloth vs plate imo.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl
    Monks can parry. Handwraps allow for the use of parry how ever it does require one multiclass to gain the ability.

There should be an evasion penalty for wearing armour, there should also be a different skill requirement for wearing cloth vs plate imo.
    Not sure why? You are limited by level and AU. So the only advantage is if you have 2 classes, one with a good AU, one with a bad, when they are both 100 you can wear the better armor (for the level).

Blood mage gets 8 AU per level, so max I will have is an AU of 800, so I can wear 80 level armor unless I multi-class to something with 10 AU. (currently level 72 with something like 580 in AU, pretty stinky to be wearing 50 armor fighting 70 mobs!)

-Digit Dryad
    Chaos

A more proactive solution would be to give a bonus to evasion based on lack of armor. And sensibly, total bulk should effect evasion as well, but that might create issues.

It does makes sense though.
    -12-
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

I'm not sure what the intent of this thread is, to nerf multiclassers or to buff monks. As the stated suggestion, capping evasion based onarmor type does neither.

Capping the abilities of othersdoesn't help monks

and

Capping the evasion ofthose wearing heavy armor doesn't really hurt them unless you're cutting evasion in half or more. If TG came to me and said I could eitherlose 1000 armor or 1000 evasion (please don't do this [:P]) I'd keep the armor.

Personally, they should decrease the effectiveness of high armor, but increase the effectivness of evasion. In a corresponding manner that keeps the damage per second of multiclassers and armored classes the same, but lessens how much damage classes stuck in leather and cloth take.

PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Well, I don't know about any sort of intent, but for the sake of argument, let's imgine that the point is to make for a better game design.

Ideally, every choice has some upside and downside, or else there really is no point to the choice.

Currently, there is no choice involved in armor use. You simply wear the best armor your AU/class level allows. There is no point in wearing anything but the best you can afford/find.

If there was a system where evasion and armor were inversely proportionate, then there would be some mobs where you might be better off wearing light/no armor and some mobs where you'd be better off wearing the best you could manage. Your choices then affect your performance, allowing you to trade evasiveness for sturdiness.

This, of course, assumes the reworking of the current evasion scheme which many people think is pretty broken.

Of course, some people are going to view this as an all-out attack on the massively multiclassed, but as long as this scheme is also used to apply to mobs, I'm all for it. Under such a scheme, spiders, long renown for their evasiveness, will be extremely brittle and easily crunched once contact is made. Seems fair enough to me.

Thread Information