Thread: Can't add player to friends list

Zwack

Default Can't add player to friends list

I have been trying to add Zekester to my friends list, every time I do it tells me the player does not exist. I can search for Zekester and the system finds him just fine. If I try to add him again I get the error that the system can not add null. Any ideas?

Default Re: Can't add player to friends list

Which shard is this occurring on?

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Zwack

Chaos

dhowe01

I opened up a bug on this over a week ago and havnt heard anything.

so annoying

This is the same problem as this thread:

http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=15501

check out my latest post there as the issues are identical.

- Amon

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

dhowe01

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    This is the same problem as this thread:

http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=15501

check out my latest post there as the issues are identical.

- Amon
    yup. the issues are identical. when will it be fixed?

I do not have an ETA. All I know is what Smeglor told me. That he found the problem and that he could prevent it from happening in the future. I do not know when that will patch.

- Amon

dhowe01

still cannot be added to a friends list.
    its been weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by dhowe01
    still cannot be added to a friends list.
    its been weeks now.

I finally was able to be added on friends lists/guilds after I switched back to cleric from another class...but since i still had several prbs (hotkeys etc) i ended up deleting my char and reinstalling game and now i very few prbs.

dhowe01

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanathan Shadowbane
    I finally was able to be added on friends lists/guilds after I switched back to cleric from another class...but since i still had several prbs (hotkeys etc) i ended up deleting my char and reinstalling game and now i very few prbs.
    Switching to cleric (from scout) didn't help me. I'm not gong to delete this character. I'll give the game a little more time, but a month with this problem (and Im basicily being ignored by AE) is ridiculous.

:o Actually I do not see you being ignored (sees dev posting saying the issue is known and being worked on)... It being clear the issue is not fixed. But what you need to know is the problem is not on your end, its on your friends end... He has to do something different or get involved in this.

Have him try doing a full scan before launch. This helpedreleive the problem with other people I have talked to. There may be some name issue on the server so they have to clean it up every now and again...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

dhowe01

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin
    [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img] Actually I do not see you being ignored (sees dev posting saying the issue is known and being worked on)... It being clear the issue is not fixed. But what you need to know is the problem is not on your end, its on your friends end... He has to do something different or get involved in this.

Have him try doing a full scan before launch. This helpedreleive the problem with other people I have talked to. There may be some name issue on the server so they have to clean it up every now and again...
    Hi Seikojin, thanks for your unexpected interest in this. Since you seem delightfully concerned, let me give you some more info.
    1) My statement about being ignored comes from the following experiences.
    a) Opening up a trouble ticket, as instructed by AE. waiting well over the 6 days period for a response. none recieved then finally
    b) posting on this board. only to get a reply on the forums that effectively said "yeah, we know. we're working on it."
    c) that was followed up by a technician on here (not on my bug report) saying she heard that a developer said he knew what the problem was. no estimated time for a fix.
    d) a while after that, I get an update on the bug (finnally) saying that the problem *might* be fixed in tuesdays patch. this was midweek. so did they mean last tuesdays patch? or the approaching tuesday? hmmm. dunno.
    e) I tried the game. didn't work.
    f) waited until the next tuesday. tried. didn't work.
    g) updated the ticket, said it didn't work.
    h) waited several days. guess what. no response from AE. posted here.
    i) no response.

So, in summary, when the only activity that I see from AE regarding this month old problem that keeps me from both being on friends lists and joining guilds, is someone saying "it might be fixed on tuesday" I consider that being an ignored issue.

to your other points.

2) No, the problem is not on my friends part. Nobody can add me, nor can I be invited to any guild. the problem is with my character.

3) yes. did a full scan.

thanks,
    dan

[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img] Oh sorry about that. I thought you and the first person were the same (didnt look at names, just read the posts...

What it looks like to me is there are flags or information attached to characters on the server end that can get corrupt, and this list needs to be rehashed each time someone name is broken and can't be added.

If memory serves me, Silvanathan tired to get added to a guild after the tuesday patch that was supposed to fix it, and it didnt work. Nor could anyone add him to their friends list. He did a full scan (was using a special log in script that I believe is available on the forums here) and I think was able to be added and friended. But that his hotkeys were all screwed up every time. So he deleted his character. Now no issues that I know of... Mechanically at least...

So the issue Smeglor might have fixed did not get fixed... So its just soemthing else they have to work on (with their little to no staff or budget...) Have you played WW2 online? Before it's official release? How about UO? All MMO's are bug filled. Its a matter of money and time and manpower... Something AE is low on in all three fronts. I stopped playing the game for about 4 or 6 months because there was nothing in the game. Tazoon was empty, many other towns were empty and 60% of the quests were not included because some bugs in them. Now the game is playable in the least, but its FAR from finished... It's really too bad the game has gone this path... Its a really good and promising game... I could see alot in this game that make it cool and unique. And I can see the improvements for it that would make it a gem of an MMO. And not an uncut one either [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

You could PM smeglor or amon
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

:o problem solved...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

If you are havnig problems with your name or adding someone to your list, send me a PM.

- Amon

Thread Information