Thread: Prize Fights

Default Prize Fights

Devs make us an arena. NPC in arena is charge of arena. Some folks what to have a go at each other they pay a fee to use arena. Futher, they agree to to an amount of coin each will give to NPC to hold pending outcome of the fight.Last one standing wins. No adjusting of classes, no nerfsticks, no running away or flying out.Anything else goes. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.

Kwinn
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Default Re: Prize Fights

Sounds like the only doable HZ PvP, assuming the coding to let players attack players is not a nightmare. I completely agree that it should not be used as an excuse to alter classes. But no nerf sticks? You'd ban Bat of the Gnerph? ;)

Could there be teams? 10 level 20's going up against one rating 100? Hoards of knights in armor against a dragon?

I know that despite our very mature player base, this arena would lead to trash talk. But it's a nice idea, Kwinn, and I say that as someone who hates PvP.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's pad
    100 Blacksmith/78 Fitter/45 Mason/45 Carpenter/100 Reaver/41 IceD

Since Search is the Red Headed Stepchild of the forums . . . .

[img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon_post_show.gif[/img]03-21-2005, 3:42 PM [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/user_IsOffline.gif[/img] Smeglor

[img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/rankicons/rankTop150.gif[/img]
    Joined on 10-15-2004
    Posts 112 [img]/Web/Utility/1x1.gif[/img]

[img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/roleicons/11.gif[/img] Re: Consider consent pvp
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/newpost.gif[/img] [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/quote.gif[/img] [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/spacer.gif[/img] Just wanted to let you know this is something we've discussed on more than one occasion and in a fair amount of detail just recently.

While it seems simple at first, providing consensual PvP (a.k.a. dueling) causes a cascading amount of development. Because Horizons was made to be a PvE game, the system isn't readily set up to allow players to attack one another, so fundamental changes would have to be made both to the simulation and the client to get that basic part working. Once that's done, then there's the large issue of preventing outside help, such as bystanders healing one of the duelists. There would need to be some sort of limitation on movement, as well. Further, if we're going to go through all of the above, we would want to allow group versus group duels as well, which adds yet more complexity.

Anyway, my point here is yes, we would like to do this, but it requires the efforts of multiple programmers all of whom have more important tasks right now. When the time is right and the decision is made, a duel systemmay be put onto the schedule and make its way into the game.

Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

How about indirect PvP?

-Players have 10 mins in separate arenas.
    -1st wave of mobs is 1v1, 2nd wave is 2v1, 3rd wave is 3v1, etc. etc.
    -The next wave is triggered 10 seconds after the previous wave was defeated.
    -Whoever kills the most amount of mobs in the given 10 mins, wins the reward.

In essence it is PvP.

Or something like that.. Didn't put much thought into this (can't really be bothered atm), but it's a start.
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

I don't think Horizons' server implementation could support instancing (creating a new instance of the arena for each player/team who wants to fight), so people would need to queue to such an event. The arena would need to have thick enough walls and a roof so outsiders couldn't come in and help or mess things up.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

gusi, that's not pvp [:)]

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

gusi, that's not pvp [:)]
    Pvp and indirect pvp (like I suggested above) are completely different things. In essence it is still pvp, as the end result isn't the tally of Player kills Vs. Mob kills, but the tally of Player1 kills Vs. Player2 kills.. As I said, indirect pvp (seems to be the only viable option to introduce pvp as the game is now).
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

I'm loyal to the game and will probably be here until the lights go out.

But with so much to work on and so many fixes to be made, if I even thought they were wasting time working on PVP I would be so gone. I think there are lots of others that feel the same way.

Thread Information