It should be understood that I speak of the speaking of Kalivar BrokenWing. Such wisdom as is found in this speaking be to the virtue and honour of Kalivar. His speakings of the primal flows were made long and long ago, though few seem to know of them these tides. Such errors as are found within my speaking be mine, for I speak from the memory of Kalivar?s wisdom. The speakings themselves I have not found in much searching, though Istaria and draku be poorer for their absence.

Of what do I speak? The matter of the smallest. For the wings of a Dryad are yet smaller, yet still the Dryad flies. And how may this be? And since the Dryad yet be small and light, and of little burden, wherefore do they not fly over water of any depth save small and shallow places? And how is it that they soar not, nor lift those tiny frames far above the blades of grass that to them are close to forest?

Hear the speakings of Kalivar.

We are draku. To say those words is to say ? we are of the Primal?. The very essence of dragon kind is found in and of the ebbs and flows of the Primal. Our magery, our growing from youngling to adult, from adult to Ancient and from Ancient yet to youngling be a matter of the primal, for our outer forms are but cloaks for the essence within which be Primal. But the nature of draku be not of this speaking, though Kalivar spoke of such. For the winds I have followed, rather would I seek the speaking of Branival SkySpear on those things of drake nature. But for Dryads?. Kalivar.

So what of Dryads? Draku fly. They are of the Primal. Dryads fly. Thus, as by Andorien?s Ael-logiku, must we wonder if Dryads also be of the Primal? Not so, speaks Kalivar. For Dryads may be close to the nature of things, but their winds take them closer to the elfin than the drake. No. Dryads not be of the Primal, but they do rather be not of the Primal.

As Kalivar BrokenWing itself does stand, a drake may damage wing or find it stiffen as the water does in Winter, or ever inMahagra, yet still fly. The speaking of Branival goes further to this. But a Dryad with a broken wing be a Dryad with sore feet, for then they must walk. And why so?

The power of the Dryad flight be indeed in their wings. That this be so is a thing of truth. And this be why. For the Dryad doth use their nature through their wings, that flight be a thing of truth. For the Dryad nature doth seek to repel the Primal! That is not to say that they may not use Primal power, for many races seek drake magery and of a time, some may succeed. But the essence nature of Dryad doth seek, in a manner, to put itself away from the flow of the Primal. And through the wing, the Dryad doth have the ability to magnify and enhance this thing, even as a gnome-kin may take the small light of the sun and, with a glass, make of this light a burning that brings flame to wood or cloth. The wings of the Dryad do be such a glass.

But how does this bring flight?

The Dryad doth take wing by spreading wing. And in that spread and swift movement of wing, it doth focus close on the antipathy of Dryad nature for Primal flows. And it doth take that spirit of disdain, and it doth bring it to bear against the Primal flows that run ever in the solid ground. And, even as the gnome-kin seeking stones, the one doth seek to part from the other, and lo! The Dryad doth rise! But the power of the disdain be a thing gathered by the Dryad frame, and the gathering and focus of that disdain be begun at the wing, but made to a pint of precision at the very ground. So thus it is, and the math?matickers may speak of this with greater precision, that a Dryad be gathered to a height above the ground. And in small manner, the more disdain of frame a Dryad may have then the higher this place of lifted disdain may be. And Kalivar made much measure of this?

Thus and so. The Drayad may rise! But what of movement, of flight? Again Kalivardoth speak. For the Dryad is not to be thought simple in nature merely because they lack size. For the nature of the Dryad wing is such that it directs and focuses the disdain of the Dryad frame. And the air itself bears Primal flows, even as the ground? So the wings of the Dryad may focus and redirect the disdain of Dryad essence, such that no disdain be evident in the directon of flight, and in the anti-poise of that flight be all the disdain the air Primal might feel. And with disdain behind and none before? the Dryad moves! But not at draku speed, for the Primal of the air be of a permissive nature and doth flow away from push and pull even as the air. And thus some Dryad disdain be lost behind as the Primal flows do slip away. Yet the managing of height be sound, for the flows of the ground be sluggish and strong and feel no inclination to slip away.

So thus and more. The Dryad may lift from the solid ground, and it may then make move to other places. But the lift of the Dryad be small and the speed be not the greatest. Yet what of water? For over deep water, the smallest dip and dive and die. Yet over but shallow water they slip and slide and fly. How may this be so? Again Kalivar speaks.

The Primal flows of the earth be strong and of little inclination to move, or part from the paths they set themselves. The flows of the air be gentler, yet swift and easily pushed from their path. The flows of water lie somewhere close in between? And thus it be. For when it flies over deep water, the focus of the Dryad disdain seeks flows that resist its seeking. And the flows of water do part and pass at the seeking and the Dryad sinks below the water skin and, still seeking more sluggard flows, it sinks and dies. But over the water which be shallw? why then, the disdain of the Dryad doth part the inconstant flows of water, yet find the sluggish flows of ground! And the ground doth act as ever it should, and the Dryad wings make good their part and the Dryad fly! And, for those skilled, the very water itself may be used as a secondary focus and the small resistance of the water Primal flows be added to the sluggish earth and the Dryad rise some small distance yet further over water!

And these are the words of Kalivar BrokenWing. Much honour to its wisdom, and if a fool speaks those words ill, then the fault be the fool?s, and not of any other.