Thread: New Slash Command to reduce Lag

Default New Slash Command to reduce Lag

I have a PC that can get 20 to 35 FPS in most places in Istaria. The exception to that is towns, where in most cases FPS drops to about 10 which is still not to bad. Those cases where the FPS drops lower are in towns like New Rachival and Tazoon, where there is a lot of animation. New Rachival is by far the worst dropping my FPS to 1. There is so much animation in NR that it takes 30 mins to draw the buildings and walls and most times portal doesn't get drawn at all.

I think we need a slash command to disable the animations in towns. As I understand it the animations are client side and the server sends packets to draw them but the server is still having to send to much info, so disabling animations in towns and sending a response the server that they are off could tell server to stop sending the animation packets. You would also need a Slash Command to reenable them.

If that is not feasible another possibility would be the ability to save Graphics options with a file name so you could have more than one setup, one of those could be very low graphic setting for towns, which could be loaded before going to NR and reducing lag in that manner

Thanx
    Katscratch

temato

Default Re: New Slash Command to reduce Lag

I think all the animations of buildings and such should be COMPLETELYclient side. The only things that shouldn't be client side are the things that constantly change like mobs and such.

Anything else is just asinine.

For those of us with systems not even remotely top-of-the-line, or those running on dial-up, animations and spell effects are painful to our systems causeing terrible lagg, sometimes so bad it can take a minute to get a moving picture again. For me, this is mostly in combat. They need to install an option to turn off animations in town, and spell effects, in the options setting. Almost all other first-person games have this option and in one that demands such high-end graphics / data transfer, if it almost a necessity!

But, that is just for those of us on dial-up (cringes and prays for DSL soon) or those of us with less-than-dreamy systems.

Tauriena

Some of you might find this interesting. I built a new PC a bit ago, a 2.21 GHz AMD 64. I have a GB of ram an 800 front side buss and a 10k RPG HDD. After all that I installed my old AMD ti4200 into my PC as my new video card (an NV 6800 ultra) was not in yet. I loaded Horizons and set my configuration getting around 15 FPS in towns and around 40 in empty space. After a week I got my new 6800, installed it, and have no graphics / FPS improvement at all. If you want Horizons to run well, get loads of ram, dump everything you can that runs in the background. Etc. Horizons doesn?t use the video card much at all from what I can tell. Oh, and I was rewarded with a bug, Horizons does something to my video card causing it to get stuck in infantine loops causing my computer to crash.

Thread Information