Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me says I!!!

OnyxBMW

Default Help me says I!!!

Hi! *wave*

None of you know me...or if you do it's from somewhere else...but I have a few questions related to this game!

When I did play horizons, it was at launch...the horrible oh so plagued launch that completely shattered any hopes or dreams of making my beloved dragon in horizons and bringing him up to the level cap. Long story short, I quit the game way back when there was more than enough reason to quit. No real quests, massive grind it seemed, horrendous lag, content you could count on one hand, and one massive let down.

So, my question to you guys/gals where applicable, is if any of this has changed! I have read hundreds of posts everywhere and have seen the review and re-review of horizons on MMORPG.com and wish to know what has changed and if it is worth trying again!

Thanks in advance for your time in answering my questions.

-Onyx

Kael Morbane

Default Re: Help me says I!!!

Onyx, I'm not the best person to ask this, but I'm also a "At-launch" player that quit, came back, and quit again. Yea, it was a major let-down both times. However, I see the potential, I always have, and I continue to come back, I came back for the second time (three all together) and best way to put is.....wow! Things really have improved, the community is AMAZING, Devs, and others involve themselves and mingle with us, TG has listened to what we are saying. I mean, I've never seen this kind of interaction. To be honest, before I came back, only game I was ever truly addicted to was old school 2000-2001 Asheron's Call, the only game I've been at like a crackhead....till I came back this time to Horizons. granted I'm once again gone from the game, this time it was for reasons outside the game (military) and I can't WAIT till I can come back. Anyway, I gave you my personal opinion, and I say its well worth it, as to all thats changed....man, its a different game then it was at launch.

OnyxBMW

Would you say it stands a chance in direct comparison to WoW?

I can deal with a slightly slower leveling curve, but not too slow ALA EQ grind. I can deal with having only 300 people on at prime time as long as I don't solo all over the place, as solo just kills me. (even if it is just a duo it's better than soloing and I can deal with it)

Are there actual quests?

Does content exist?

Are adult dragons cool?

How many white dragons exist?

Where are you deployed in the military? Wherever it is, have a safe journey and come back in one piece.

Kael Morbane

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxBMW
    Would you say it stands a chance in direct comparison to WoW?

I can deal with a slightly slower leveling curve, but not too slow ALA EQ grind. I can deal with having only 300 people on at prime time as long as I don't solo all over the place, as solo just kills me. (even if it is just a duo it's better than soloing and I can deal with it)

Are there actual quests?

Does content exist?

Are adult dragons cool?

How many white dragons exist?

Where are you deployed in the military? Wherever it is, have a safe journey and come back in one piece.
    I'm also an old WoW player, and What I believe is yea, Horizons has the ability to blow WoW AWAY. Quests aren't really the focus like it is in WoW unless you are a dragon, and unlike the quests in WoW, these quests aren't "Kill Van Cleef and save the land" they are, "Kill 50 Sand Ogre's to prove your worth and I'll train you in this art." Stuff like that, Unlike WoW where the goal is race to level 60 as fast as you can so you can kill horde OR alliance, Horizons is extremely community based, which is more realistic because how many times has Van Cleef died? It depends on your tastes, there is no pvp, and therefore really, leveling isn't a god send mission, I've known MASTER crafters that were only level 19 single class warriors. The game is meant to be free form, meaning what you want to do is your choice, I like to kill things with metal objects, but I aint trying to hit 100 as fast as I can, I'm here purely for the fun factor. Shadow Dragon Attacks, WA Raid Parties, I was there if I knew about them, even thouugh they could BLAST me in one hit, I still went. I dont know how many white dragonsexist but I've seen a few here and there, Adult Dragons are......AWSOME, bad ****** incarnate if you will, but it hard work getting there...if pvp existed and my lev 28 reaver went against a level 28 dragon hatchling....dragon wouldn'tstand a chance. But when you hit up to level 50 and become an adult...you could farm things higher level then you, hard as hell at first, but they are awsome to play after you become an adult. Content, depending on what you mean, I suggest look through here, content is coming, but TG is amazingly understaffed, and though dedicated, (example...Manga overworked himself) You gotta give them time, they are doing the best they can. All and all, best way to find out if you are good for the game and vice versa, download the client, and create a 7 day trial acct, and instead of trying to powerlevel, talk to the community, join chat rooms in the game, have someone show you what has changed, etc.

Kael Morbane

oh yea, and I'm transfering from Sicily to Battalion in Virginia, thanks for concern, it means alot.

OnyxBMW

Is crafting a necessity in a game? I know it is for the dragons rites of passage (level 20 right? 30 for the crafter dragon)

Would the community be willing to help me out, not necessarily power level, but would someone exist to group with?

one thing I hated in the game during launch was running to a quest giver, get a "kill 20 ice golem" quests, going out, killing 20 ice golems...and coming back, rinse, repeat...are the quests that do exist more involved? Have I asked enough questions?

In your opinion, where is the fun in the game for you? Is it going out and slaying enemies with a friend or just generally chatting, or perhaps a mysterious 3rd, 4th, or 5th answer...

Just my curiousities...I'd hate to jump into the ocean without first knowing how to swim...

Edited since you did answer the question [:P]

Kael Morbane

Finding someone to play with isn't hard but at the same time it is...especially the new Monster AI, however, I get my kicks in places like Deadpool...me and a couple of buddies go out there, and its a non-stop battle, no rest period...nothing, just straight warfare, the meat blights coming at us all the time, as long as there is a cleric....you'll have no problems provided you guys are all the same level. Which unless of course you're level 100, finding a like-level is kinda hard. I don't know, I like it the way it is, and for a dragon, crafting is an absolute necessity till about 35-40. After that, not really, you'll just be buying scales and crap from other dragons. For a non-dragon, absolutely not necessary, but if you also let other people build your plot....you'll be broke quick. :p depends on you man...I craft a little bit, mostly if the alternative is soloing. But I like to kill things, just the way I am. Otherwise, my best suggestion is get a 7 day trial and get a feel for it yourself, My way of playing is different from alot of people. You may fall in love with crafting, which is the best I have ever seen...but you have to be a crafter. Everyone else is welcomed to help me here...I'm bragging about a game I only got to play for two weeks. :P

Kael, you wouldn't happen to be going to Fort Belvoir, would you? My folks were stationed there when I was born (in Falls Church).
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I too was a Beta/release player, quit after a few months, went and played other games including WoW, and finally came back just a couple weeks ago. My impressions so far, in no particular order or anything:

Game performance has improved significantly. Lag is less, engine runs better, and I can even run around Tazoon now with double-digit FPS. ;p It's still a ways from perfect, but very welcome gains there. As far as gameplay and things to do, there's nothing really fundamentally new, but there is a lot more than there used to be. As far as enemies to fight, there are more, in more places, with a wider range of difficulties (they go over level 100 now, great challenge for a high-level group). Enemies even drop loot now... hoardables for dragons, trinkets that give small buffs/debuffs, trophies that you can collect for quests, forms/techs, and blighted equipment, which comes with random enchantments and wears out over time. At the highest levels there are also set items that drop rarely. Quests are not the focus of the game as in WoW, but there are more available than at launch (less annoying than I remember as well) and they are a nice xp/coin bonus. Leveling isn't as fast as WoW, but it's not nearly as painful as the EQ grind of camping in groups for hours to squeeze out a single level.

On the crafting side, they have added tier 5 resources, and via transmutation builders can even construct tier 6 structures. Tons of land has been added, enough for everyone to own a plot, and the number of buildable structures has been increased. They also offer functionality via storage space that you can share with a guild or list of friends. Many resource fields are guarded now, which makes things a bit more dangerous and exciting if you're up for the challenge. Only for dragons wanting to become adult is it *necessary* to be a crafter, but you're missing out on tons of content if you don't. ;p

As far as the actual playing experience, I'm having a blast... I've even started getting up earlier to squeeze in a few precious minutes of Horizons time before I go to work! The community has gotten a little smaller, but I dare say much closer... virtually everyone is helpful and friendly. During busy hours there are a couple hundred people online on the Order shard, but even so it's not too hard to find help if you need something. The dev team has shrunk too, but they are actually normal human beings who make themselves accessible to us, are honest and open about what's going on, and even *gasp* listen to the voice of the community!

Er... I'm hungry. *wanders off to find food*
    kitty: 48 Mage 22 Healer + others
    80 MIN 65 GTH 69 TNK 70 MSN 55 SPL
    41 BLK 41 SCH 47 CRP 38 JWL + others
    dragon: 91 adv, 100 craft, 22 lair
    elf: 49 ELAR, 31 Healer, 51 Fitter + others

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Kael Morbane
    It depends on your tastes, there is no pvp, and therefore really, leveling isn't a god send mission, I've known MASTER crafters that were only level 19 single class warriors. The game is meant to be free form, meaning what you want to do is your choice,
    I resemble that remark! i happen to BE only a level 19 warrior, but I have all 5 construction classes and am capable of all of tiers 1 and 2 with some ability in tier 3.

From personal experience: I joined the game a few months after it went live. Tagath started a few weeks after it went live (he's a blue). What everyone has said thus far is true, and I'd like to add some of my own thoughts.

Adventuring and crafting are two totally different aspects of the game. You may do one or the other or both. As a biped, the choices for different classes on both sides is immense and you can absolutely fine-tune your choices for a unique set of skills and abilities. As a dragon, you have currently only adventurer and crafter classes. Rumor has it with the upcoming development of lairs there may also be a lairshaper (construction) class. Again, you can fine-tune even in this by deciding how strongly you want to do one or the other or both. I personally know of four white dragons on Order that I've run into, across, over, etc. And by no means are even dragons cookie-cutter characters in this game with only the two classes. Uniqueness is also raised in the fact that you gain training points per adventuring level to spend on stats, health, or certain attributes, as well as either making for yourself or buying equipment with techniques which further enhance skills or attributes as you see fit.

I've never played WoW and I don't intend to because I'm interested in crafting. I joined this game solely to build Istaria and that's what I'm doing, both as an individual landowner, Architect for Obsidian Order (the first in the guild to obtain all five construction classes in one character), and as World Projects Team leader. I can say that the "grind" people talk about doesn't affect me because each load of resources I work brings Istaria that much closer to completion. Some prefer to slaughter the minions of the Withered Aegis to the ends of the empire. Some take pride in their craftsmanship of the products they make for the good of the community. However, there is a kindred bond amongst us all to make our land of Istaria much better for all of us by being here. I agree about the suggestion of running the seven-day trial and talking with members of the community, seeing just how much you can experience on your own as well as with the aid of others. By all means, ask questions. You will find people to assist.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

OnyxBMW

Thanks for all of the replies thus far.

I'll need to take everything into consideration before trying it, but wouldn't waste my time on a 7 day trial when I have a perfectly good account I can reactivate for 30 days. (besides, if I know I'd abandon that account for my original from the start, I'd never truly bother actually playing it :S)

Excuse me whilst I ponder amongst myself.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

In all honesty, you can do both. A 7-day trial just means you have up to 5 different characters extra on a second subscription if you choose to keep it. It does not supercede your other account which is still fully intact (with any exception of plot repossession) and would only need to be resubscribed.

On this side of the screen, not actually needing CD keys to add subscriptions has been a tremendous plus. It was available early, got exploited, was removed, dealt with a change of billing companies, trial period added, and now is where we are where you just add another billing to your current account.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

OnyxBMW

Oh well, we shall see...we shall see.*collects more information*

Kael Morbane

the little evil voice in your subconcious says "do it! you will lose nothing by doing it so what harm is there?" The little evil voice also says maniacly, "I will send Lia Morbane to hideiously torture you into insanity if you resist this urge to play" Oddly enough, you think, the voice sounds alot like Kael's, but hey, scary notion the voice gave....maybeyoushould just install the game and hopeyou're not too late....some reasonyou hear Lia's chains clinking and rattling....

*snickers*

Lia Morbane

*Brandishes the chains menacingly*

[;)]

OnyxBMW

I NEED AN ADULT! I NEED AN ADULT!!!

[:P]

Kael Morbane

*plays the Friday the 13th Theme Music* Onyx.....oh Onyx, come out, come out wherever you are....lets play a game. *evil snickering*

lmao, ok ok, enough evil me...i'm scaring the kids. Seriously though, we can all tell you how much this game has changed for the good, but truly you can't find out if things change UNLESS you give it a try. Oh, and dont fear me...its Lia thats the frightening one, thats why I used her to threaten you. [:D]

OnyxBMW

Erhm...

*backs slowly away from the forums*

Narrator: 10 minutes later

*Onyx arrives 10 minutes later with a 12 guage shot gun, baretta, 6 foot staff, 50 caliber m82a1 semi-auto sniper rifle, and some high-explosive grenades*

Lets dance.

Kael Morbane

where'd you get those? Toys-R-US? pfft, Lia, I think its time our little child learns just why you are feared. >:)

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxBMW
    Erhm...

*backs slowly away from the forums*

Narrator: 10 minutes later

*Onyx arrives 10 minutes later with a 12 guage shot gun, baretta, 6 foot staff, 50 caliber m82a1 semi-auto sniper rifle, and some high-explosive grenades*

Lets dance.
    Okay, you asked for it.
    *Calls in a B-52 and sits back as the pilots do all the work*

Dont mind the little laser spot on your forehead [:)]
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

Thread Information