Thread: RE: Slate Fields and Dragon Stone Fields

Threaded View

Default RE: Slate Fields and Dragon Stone Fields

Since Amon locked the thread (really REALLY wish he would stop doing that) in mid-conversation, I'm starting another thread on a similar subject.

What he didn't give us _time_ to say before he locked a thread on a subject that was _not_ done being talked about, was this:

The only decent thing for Dragons to level DCRA on, is Stone Scales.

Hear me out here.

What can a dragon level DCRA on?

Spells: You need two different materials to do these past Tier 1. Most dragons do T1 spells and then start Stone Scales when they can do Tier 2 good enough.

Scales: You either do Metal or Stone, or Metal-Stone scales. Metal-Stone scales are plain annoying and take a long time for a not reasonable reward; and Metal past tier 2 has that annoying "2 unique, 3 resource per bar at max efficiency" aspect, that makes it unattractive to work with. So, those who do scales tend to want to do Stone scales, as you only ever need 2 slabs per brick.

Gems: If I wanted to level Miner, I'd do so on a biped.... once you make the gems, what are you going to do with them? Add to the fact there's a complete lack of a gemcutter anywhere near any Tier4 gem, and you got a no-go.

Anything else: Too many materials needed. Claws, Scalepacks, etc...

So, we're stuck with Stone Scales.

That's OK usually, but... let's re-iterate the fact we are doing scales. Doing scales requires a Scaleforge, or, an Anvil work in a pinch (but will not give you Scalecraft bonus).

So, we need an ANVIL or a SCALEFORGE near a Stone field. How many areas fit the bill for this?

On Order:

Tier 2:

Snowfall did, at last on Order.
    Scorpion Island? Nope.
    Abandoned Island? Not last I checked.
    Lesser Aradoth? I don't even remember there being slate in Lesser Aradoth..
    Dalimond Peninsula? Never checked, but there'd have to be a player-built machine, as there's never Ore and Stone right next to each other.

Tier 3:

Aughundell? Nope. Not unless you want to fight Level 50 mobs and spend 5+ minutes running back up to the Granite Field after dropping down to the anvil down in there. I think there's an anvil down in there anyways...

Drift Point: Currently on Order there's a player plot there that allows this. Everyone knows, though, that these can disappear at any time.

Not sure where else Granite is found...

Tier 4: Obsidian: South of Dralk is perfect.

So, my point with the Slate, and why so many dragons are upset with this, is because it was one of _the_ few places where it could be feasibly done. So, my suggestion is...

Either add a couple more non-player dragon caves near some of these resources to bridge the Tier2 and Tier3 gaps, or, change how Scalecrafting is handled. There are far too few anvils near stone, for dragons to level their DCRA efficiently.

The Snowfall Slate field empties out if you got 2-3 hatchlings trying to level their DCRA on Stone scales. They _could_ do Iron, but there's only 1 place in the game I know of, that allows for this (that has a smelter AND anvil) and it is pretty out-of-the-way and difficult to get to, and harder still to explain to a newbie.

That, and if you're in Tier2, gearing yourself for +Smelting and +Mining, you'll hit Tier 3 and have to switch over to +Quarrying and +Stoneworking instead, for the stone scales.

We wouldn't be so upset about the Snowfall Slate Field, if you'd fix the Scalecrafting problem. That could *easily* be done by adding one dragon craft cave (doesn't even have to have all of the machines -- JUST a cutter and scaleforge would do) near at least 1 decent-sized, unguarded Slate and another near a similar Granite field. Make it a world project, even, to give people something to do.

Or, stash a couple anvils near aforementioned stonecutters. Easier still.
    Last edited by Dhalin; August 21st, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Thread Information