Thread: Dryads Fly Tree High, and over water

Palaxe

Default Dryads Fly Tree High, and over water

It would be very cool if Dryads could flyat least as high as tree tops...
    Dryads live in trees, it only makes sence.
    Tree Houseing for them would be cool.. but I know you devs are way to busy for that....
    Anyway to fly across the water also would make the Dryad class Special in it own way... ( also a new game engine that didn't lagg...lol.. )

Default Re: Dryads Fly Tree High, and over water

You can espect to see tree houses before higher flight hight for Dryads. Both are on the list to do in my understanding. With the bugs being worked out with Dragon Lairs and when they get art team time they are going to do Dwarf underground buildings and Tree houses for Dryads. Again no ETA.

They have spoke of doing a ROP/AROP like quest for dryads to get a flight hight increase. No where near us dragons but this is on the pony list, or at least that is my understanding from the word on this long ago,so it could be a long wait for this.

Dont hold your breath.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Palaxe

Ahh.. thatsgood to know... I play a drag but my wife plays a dryad and always feel left out when I touch the sky..;) That is one thing that make this a better game then other games is the fact races have there own goodies :)

Does seem odd dryads can only 'fly' just above the ground. If they can still use a BIT of height to make alternate routes to other bipeds, maybe they can come up with their own cargo disks (along with large quadrupeds demanding some to prevent dryads from being eaten[:P]).

Per ther in game lore dryads having been shut away for so long have lost many of their original abilities ie they are weakened. I do not see them changing dry ad flight with out something akin to a RoP.As it stands it may or may not be on their pony list but they have a lot of stuff that is solidly written and has to be implemented first, which will take time.
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

Yep I agree. And we fiends should be able to levitate since we have channeling minds :)

Jayne

Some people use Flight as leverage as to why dragons can't get better Healing spells, a Resurrection pre-100, etc, etc, etc.

If Dryads get their 'better flight' then what exactly would Dragons have over Dryads, again? They can fly just like a Dragon can, but they can still Multiclass like any Biped can...

Flight is one of The Few things a Dragons have exclusively. Please don't take that away from us. Flying Tree-High would give Dryads the ability to go over mountains as well, something only we dragons can do presently. I know why the OP suggested it, but balance-wise, if you give Dryads flight, then I suggest you give us Dragons some multiclassing Adventure schools too...

[Edit: And if you did give Dragon Multiclass Adventure schools, don't do no crap where you have to become Ancient to unlock it. Bipeds don't have to wait to Lv100 in their first class to multiclass, why should we?]

--Dhalin

I expected no less from the dragons...

As far as I can see, the main intent was just a bit of fluff, letting dryads fly up a bit, not the full blown, over mounatins and continents type of flight that dragons get...

I support dryads eventually gaining a limited form of flight, but not over water...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

As long as they can't go over mountains and water, its fine with me.. *Shrug*

I'm just asking that TG doesn't take away the one major specialty that dragons really have over the Bipeds, and that is simply Flight. Giving Flight to a biped is like.... a slap in the face? *Shrug*

--Dhalin

I agree, give dryads a flight cap of say 50-100 over the land. That might be too much I should check in game to see how much that actually is, but then again that might not be....for all the older players 100 is half the hight dragons used to be able to fly to. Dryads have wings for a reason and look at how well butterflies fly in real life. 50-100 will in no way infringe on what dragons now have and will make the skies of Istaria a little more interesting.

PS. I also say give the rest of biped limeted flight potions or something, maybe 20 above the land. But that's a topic for another thread. Oh also I want to mention that I am no way stuck in the numbers I gave for flight hight...just numbers I came up with at the time.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayuaka
    I agree, give dryads a flight cap of say 50-100 over the land. That might be too much I should check in game to see how much that actually is, but then again that might not be....for all the older players 100 is half the hight dragons used to be able to fly to. Dryads have wings for a reason and look at how well butterflies fly in real life. 50-100 will in no way infringe on what dragons now have and will make the skies of Istaria a little more interesting.

PS. I also say give the rest of biped limeted flight potions or something, maybe 20 above the land. But that's a topic for another thread. Oh also I want to mention that I am no way stuck in the numbers I gave for flight hight...just numbers I came up with at the time.
    That's way too high. If the pixies were to fly, I wouldn't exept them to fly more than 5 meters high. Otherwise, you can get to a lot of reserved area throught fly, jump, fly. 5 meters is plenty enough if Tulga could change the rule regardings water.

And only them should fly, not biped through potions. Well, unless that the same 'flying potions' found in Morrowind :)
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Woohoo, flight potions [Y][Y]
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Here we go with the "Let's devolve this thread into a 'Dragons vs Bi-ped" bash thread...

The original post has merit; but David already stated that no other races would be flying soon, (last I heard).

If that changes; I can see how it "would" work. If you allow dryads to be able to maybe raise their "Z" axis a little (maybe to Ancient dragon head level height, so the dragon has an easier meal) and limit the "flying speed" to 50 + velocity bonus only on boots, and not allow spells to work that give road bonus, you would have a cute little dryad capable of "Flying" over ancient dragon's backs, flying through the trees, and when it comes to mountains, because of the "Ancient dragon height" limitation, your dryad won't be able to scale tall mountains by flying against them... not even dragons can do that when they slam into the mountain, they still have to press "Q" to ascend... and if your dryad has a "Z-axis" limitation of maybe 150 then you aren't going up and over the mountain.

Furthermore, yes... we know that Flight is one of the "BIG" attractions to dragons v. Bipeds... but ... if you limit their flying "z-axis" you won't find Dryads soaring through the skies, nor will you see them flying over water... as soon as you hit water that is deeper than 150 your dryad will drown.

Just my catch on things.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

As a Dragon I agree Dryads should get flight 100 max flight hight would be fine I think alsoas it is 1/18th the hight a Ancient can fly and 1/16(i think) of an Adults hight. The only problem I can see is they would have to give them the flight above ground as otherwise as soon as a Dryad started flying up a moutain they would be grounded. But I guess they could set a max above ground and a max height so if you did get to the top of a really high Moutain Dryads would be grounded becuase the "air was to thin" for thier wings to support them, or maybe they are to far from the ground that offers the magic that allows the flight or something.

Palaxe

OH, it was never my thought a dryad would fly over mountains, thats way to high. only dragons can do that. But i can see a dryad flying up to his house in a tree and going inside to there little heaven of rest.

I totally agree it should be a rop kinda thing, were they gain this ability back.

as far as the water, you would never see a butterfly flying over the ocean, it just wouldnt happen. i was more thinking like if they go over the water a time bar comes up and they have so many seconds to be above water then they need to land.. as far as that goes you could make it a flight timer like someone has said in a post about hop fly hop fly....
    but here is what i see, little dryad fighting by the ocean front, the battle goes bad, she new she shouldn't of started this fight its way to much for her, she knows the only way out is to go into the water then around, so she backs up into the water, the winds become stronger as she fights to stay above the water, moving as fast as she can to move along the shore and on land again to make her excape.
    finally getting away from the beattle, exausted she stops to catch her breath as she looks up and sees a huge dragon soring the skys above her..

Another thing that would be cool is flying mounts. make them hard to get and $$$.

don't bash me for this but i started back when beta just was done, and to be honest what happend was they wanted dragons to be more special, so they gimped the dragons, and everyone got mad and left the game... I watched hundres of freinds leave the game, and it was because dragons were gimped..
    if you love a dragon your going to play a dragon, not because he can fly but for what it is....
    with that said, letting others have fly ablities would be great for the dragon because you would do what artifact was trying to do in the first place make dragons more rare......

ok bash me away for saying that , but i lived it and seen it... and that is why my server bounty is not there today :P so you cant say its not true....

add one more thing fast, i just came back to the game from not playing since aug. 2004 and man what a change, great comunity were already in a sweet guild, and all the players rock.. It wasnt like this in the old days, :) anyway thanks :) palaxe

Thread Information