Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 60-day Clock

Default The 60-day Clock

I decided to post this in General, since it technically is about Horizons, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets moved into Rants. Bear in mind, I don't intend this to be a rant.

Instead, I guess you could call this a "letter of intent."

By now the Official Word has had a chance to settle in. TG is no longer in control of HZ. A company called "EI" is. We don't know if the development team is being retained to continue work on HZ or not. There is a lot we don't know, a whole shopping list (and the some). And, as these things usually go, the way we will eventually find out what is going on is by Official Announcements.

But Official Announcements are nothing but words. For me, words don't cut it. Not anymore. No, for me the only thing that matters is what is done. Action. "Deeds, not words," as the saying goes.

That is why I'm going to use the 60-Day Clock.

Here's how it works: EI has 60 days, from today (July 21, 2006) to show me they are capable of running the game I play and pay for. If they can instill this sense of confidence in their abilities, then I'll happily continue playing for a lot longer. If they can really impress me, then that's even better!

Until those 60 Days are up, I'll play as if nothing has happened.

(This, of course, depends on whether EI can keep the servers running as is.)

Note: I'm not trying to be the voice of the playerbase, or anything like that. This is just me. If you want to jump on with the 60 Day Clock, then that's cool. If you don't, that's cool too.

I'm in the same boat, but I have less confidence.
    I have cancelled my accounts, when they run out I might resub.. most likely not from seeing some of EI's history.

I am doing the same, have cancelled and will resub based on how things go the next month and a half. I am hoping my intuition at this point is wrong, and that all will go well, if not better. I would indeed miss my friends/guildmates, HZ was my first mmo and I don't believe it can be easily replaced.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

I just heard people talking about this on Dragon channel, and decided even though I hate forums usually, I needed to come post. Trying to figure out where the best thread to post on is, and decided to pick this one.

I too have "put EI on notice", by canceling my subscriptions. I will continue to play until they run out (which isn't quite 60 days from now) and watch what they say. But as much as I truly call those I play with friend, I can't keep playing in a game I dont enjoy. My real friendships will continue beyond this game just as they have beyond many others that I've left.

Aria, you are right. You can never truly replace your first MMO. I'll never have another experience like Everquest (my own first). But I still have friends from that time, what, about 8 years ago now.

Like your own sig says "Never compromise yourself, it is all you got".. and if I were to continue to pay EI for a game that isn't the one that the Horizon's team was making, then I'd be compromising myself.

So I'll watch, and I'll ask the questions if no one else does. But it doesnt look all that promising.

So in other words, you guys that have cancelled your accounts, while claiming to love and want to support the game, are bailing out before even getting understanding of the situation...

All I can do is shake my head.

Okay. Stop. This thread isn't about cancelling accounts. I intended it to be more of a challenge.

"Okay, EI. Don't give me words. Impress me with what you can do with the game I play!"

I won't let this thread turn into a two-way firefight between those who are cancelling their accounts and those who look down upon such acts.

[note: I have not cancelled my account. I will not cancel my account, not until 60 days have passed and I have not seen any real action from EI.]

see Khoal I agree more with your stance than some of the other posters here.

You are continuing to keep your account active, giving to me what is a very reasonable amount of time to get some answers and see what actions is going on at EI...

Then, when the 60 days will be up, you will cancel or not, depending on how you feel about what you have seen till then.

Seems entirely reasonable, and I hope others who are wanting to cancel now will give EI at least another month, another 12 bucks or whatever, to see what they do before they cancel.

Bailing ship immediately will only make them think the game is worth more as scrap pieces than as a game. At least waiting a month or so after the changeover doent' make it all seem so IMMEDIATE!

Cuz its not immediate. Its an evolving thing - and its up to each of us to determine our level of patience.

I hope not too many of my onlien friends jump on the "cancel now" bandwagon. That doesn't help Tulga. It doesnt' help Horizons. It doesnt' help your community.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Shadow the Evil Rabbit

Man, I come back hoping to play the game and find out this saddening news. Great welcome back present!

Alladania and I are of the same mind as Khoal; possibly a shorter time frame, though.

To the folks at EI reading this: Alladania and I have ten - yes, 10 - annual subscriptions between the two of us. They run until January. We are not cancelling yet, but are ready to do so. Then, we will happily play out the balance of our subscription while continuing to let you know what will be required to win our support back.

Since specific concerns would be off-topic, I'll post those in the appropriate thread.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I have 7 active subscriptions atm - I'm not canceling them at this time but I'll be watching to see how this plays out.

I have 7 subscriptions because I was used to being informed and kept up to date on game issues. If that doesn't continue, my commitment to the game will need a re-evaluation. They just announced the buy out, I'll wait and let them settle in.

If I don't know where things are going or if I find out there won't be any further development on Horizons, then I'm not sure how long I'll be here.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

Actually... there are way more people that are completely upset with this whole, to the playerbase, surprize purchase of the game. Whats more, some like myself are quite irritated that TG would dump the game once it showed promising signs of being a profitable game for once in its existance.

The fact of the matter is, I am truly uneasy about any venture that is done seemingly on a whim like this purchase has been. Perhaps it is a good thing that I have 2 weeks of fishing (IRL cuz the guildies know how much I like goin fishin ingame) to think about If I even want to login after I get back. I suppose Ill test the waters in 2 weeks and see what additional surprizes lie in store for the playerbase. I know that my Subs expire in December, but I dont know if I expect to play til then. I know one thing... I dont believe that I will ever be subscribing to a game run by TG again, merely for the inconsiderate manner in which they have treated the playerbase in this matter.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

If the people at TG were kept out of the loop on this for a time and then negotiation started with gag orders - they can't really be blamed for keeping silent. Now, if this has been going on for months... then, yeah, I will be angry at them as well.
    Putter'er of Crafts and Near Miss-Adventurer on Chaos
    Guild Leader - Council of War
    C.O.W. : "Milking the WA Daily....fear the cow"

I can see where you are comming from with that Bulgrim. I dont necessarily hold the employees of TG responsible. But I do hold the owner of TG responsible... He is the one that sold the game... He is the one that had the ability to let everyone know about it earlier (at least a, "since we are finally seeing a profit in HZ we realize it would be stupid not to sell it off. Please be patient while we find the right buyer that can continue the game concept through fruition") That would have been better then what we received.

That said, I stand by my statement that I do not intend to pay for any more games produced by TG, at least not as long as it is owned by the current owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoal
    ....Official Announcements are nothing but words. For me, words don't cut it. Not anymore. No, for me the only thing that matters is what is done. Action. "Deeds, not words," as the saying goes.
    Amen. How long it took for me to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoal
    ....EI has 60 days, from today (July 21, 2006) to show me they are capable of running the game I play and pay for. If they can instill this sense of confidence in their abilities, then I'll happily continue playing for a lot longer.
    Excellent idea. Marks calendar. See you on September 21.
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Well, seems i anticipated that movement in a way. I cancelled my autobilling for another 3-month-period last week and planned to pay on a monthly base till the "GN-issue" has been solved in any way.

Funnily enough this now turned into a "HZ-issue".

And NO, i'm NOT turning my back to HZ and the new owners in a time where they'd need my loyalty most. But maybe EII will see that we are a mature playership that knows what it wants and what it is willing to pay for.

When EII does a good job and Unity is involved in that promised development of HZ, i'd be happy to resubscribe for even a 6-month-period and open a second account (I'd need one anyway to keep that orphaned t5-Guildplot, but we didn't have any Plotreclamation yet).

EII, now it's your turn!

Same here... I have 2 accounts that are annually paid up until March of 2007

This mystery meat I have found in my meatloaf had better have some substance. I tire of this and hope that EI shows the community that the game will infact:

Get patches on a reasonable and timely fashion.
    Get updates and fixes when needed
    Get content added that either has been promised (quite a list there)
    Keep support to the customer's in-game / account problems
    Keep the customer's faith.

Without many of those.... we are on a sailing ship bound for nowhere.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    That said, I stand by my statement that I do not intend to pay for any more games produced by TG, at least not as long as it is owned by the current owner.
    Just to be clear, that's NOT David Bowman.

The person who sold the game is named Chris Baker, of CP Baker.

David gave the game the last seven years of his life. He and the rest of the team - didn't "let" this happen.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Anima

Default Bide my time.

<waves!>

Well, I'm still enjoying the game. My approach? I'm going to take it one day at a time until I find greener grass. IF that ever happens, this community is hard to beat.

Lets show the New Guys that as a community, we're worth more than the sums of our subscriptions.. <grins>
    Lets treat this new company as if it were a group of Newbies, we can show them where the true value of Horizons comes from. It in my opinion comes from the caring, mature and consistant group of peoples that frequent it. With a kind and patient hand we can show them our needs and desires, guide them to the correct path to make Horizons flourish.

Please, lets take extra effort to be gentle and helpful, until we know the full extent of IE's intentions with the direction of Horizons.

<waves!>

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    Just to be clear, that's NOT David Bowman.

The person who sold the game is named Chris Baker, of CP Baker.

David gave the game the last seven years of his life. He and the rest of the team - didn't "let" this happen.
    Aye.. you are correct. I would actually not blame DB if he were totally Pissed at this happenings.. To me DB belongs in the TG staff category, not the Owner category.. there is only 1 owner to blame in this instance..

Lightbulb No blame yet, but The Lightbulb Must Die!

Kinda depends on why he sold and under what circumstances, to boot. I have no blame to cast yet - I simply don't have enough information to start pointing fingers. However, I do feel qualified on making one comment:

The Lightbulb Must Die!!!

EI: Please turn out that light bulb!
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Thread Information