Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dryad "Wing Jump" ability (warning, explosive)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Dryad "Wing Jump" ability (warning, explosive)

right there with you, shian!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    What about allowing them to glide like hatchlings will do in the future ?
    I think that's a great idea, really! And it makes sense too, if dryads can hoover they certainly should be able to glide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    That said why not cut off there wings and just make them little people so there is no more questions about flying
    Jayne that´s plain evil thought, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Because all bipeds can get mastery of everything given enough time. Crafting, all combat. Bipeds can do near everything better than a dragon jack-of-all trades. Only thing a biped cannot do better than a dragon is fly. Give that up and what then?

As for the first part, hatchies are easily vulnerable during thier early days all the way up till 40. The uphill battle is paid off in true flight.
    Gliding is not true flight and don´t think being a biped is so easy for the first 40 levels, you make it sound like bipeds are born unvulnerable. Giving Dryads the ability to glide is not hurting dragons unless they don't think very much about themselves and feel threatened by a gliding dryad. I haven't seen bipeds complain about walking dragons .

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Gliding is not true flight and don´t think being a biped is so easy for the first 40 levels, you make it sound like bipeds are born unvulnerable. Giving Dryads the ability to glide is not hurting dragons unless they don't think very much about themselves and feel threatened by a gliding dryad. I haven't seen bipeds complain about walking dragons .
    No they are not invulnerable but they do get certain perks. Let dragons have thiers.

While it may not hurt at the beginning of thier life where they are both appx equal in power, it will most certainly hurt at the end of thier life, at max level when the dryad outclasses dragon and biped alike.

No they are not invulnerable but they do get certain perks. Let dragons have thiers.

While it may not hurt at the beginning of thier life where they are both appx equal in power, it will most certainly hurt at the end of thier life, at max level when the dryad outclasses dragon and biped alike.
    We are talking about gliding aren't we? Not about some secret weapon or some mass mob devastating ability?

My dryad can live without gliding but I'm sure my dragon could live with dryads being able to glide .

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

I can hear the "We can fly" song from Peter Pan in my head....

Then the quick scream and sudden silence as one wing floats to the ground, hovering overhead a dragon with a satisfied smile on his face, finishes chewing his meal.

I like that scene
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    We are talking about gliding aren't we? Not about some secret weapon or some mass mob devastating ability?
    That's just it! We have no mass mob devastating ability! Most I've ever been able to take is a few T5 mobs. Bipeds can take masses, can heal better, can do T6 way more effecient. This means hours of gathering more resources as a dragon. Have to depend on bipeds for heals, buffs, food....

What perks exactly does a dragon get? Flight. Burst damage. Most powerful single class at 100.... because there is only one class.

Dryad gets all of the above all *and* can glide off the bat? No thanks. When was the last time you said, "Oh dang. I/we need a dragon for that?"

Star Anise?

I've got to agree with Shian.

And besides, if we're going to base things on logic, then logically, a Dragon should be able to squish any biped, no matter how many different times they learned to swing a sword. Not every adventurer can manage that one lucky strike or one lucky/well timed spell. But if that were the case, no one would be happy.

Note: I will never be able to listen to that song and keep a straight face on. Ever. Again. And I can never tell my little Disney loving cousins why I am smiling "like that".

I defintely say no to flying, but I do think the little guys should be able to float, at least up cliff things, and go up terrain that is otherwise impassable to other terrestrial critters,

As a hatchie, I spend a great deal of time searching for that one "sweet spot" on a cliff or mountain where my hatchie can actually go up. As an adult, I know I won't have to worry about this (yay!) But, I could certainly understand if the dryads could just float up cliffs or something like that. And over shallow water (wisps can do this I think) but otherwise, flight is for dragons, as is gliding.

(I hope that makes sense)

That's just it! We have no mass mob devastating ability! Most I've ever been able to take is a few T5 mobs. Bipeds can take masses, can heal better, can do T6 way more effecient. This means hours of gathering more resources as a dragon. Have to depend on bipeds for heals, buffs, food....

What perks exactly does a dragon get? Flight. Burst damage. Most powerful single class at 100.... because there is only one class.

Dryad gets all of the above all *and* can glide off the bat? No thanks. When was the last time you said, "Oh dang. I/we need a dragon for that?"

Star Anise?
    Next time I get sqashed I'll remember this . I should have know better I guess, there is no reasoning against such a huge - displaced - feeling of inferiority

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Next time I get sqashed I'll remember this . I should have know better I guess, there is no reasoning against such a huge - displaced - feeling of inferiority
    In case someone feels hurt or insulted by this, I apologize. I'm afraid my English isn't good enough for such a sensitive subject.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Star Anise?
    My dragon alt soloed Daknor. So please don't tell me dragons are so weak.

Well before or after the epics where "nerfed"? They are weak now compared to their old hmm version. Before that they maked out of you a nice bathrug before you could say "ouch!".

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Well before or after the epics where "nerfed"? They are weak now compared to their old hmm version. Before that they maked out of you a nice bathrug before you could say "ouch!".
    After, of course. I don't think anyone could take its first blow before it was nerfed (though I didn't hunt epics at that time, so I don't know).

But back to topic. Dragons are not that weak. It all depends on how you're geared, your tactics, and so on.
    Last edited by Zexoin; July 30th, 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Just to provide my 2cents
    Give dryads gliding. I often log my dragon in to do things that my ped can't do; crafting and fighting both. My ped is not invulnerable.. yes it could be, but I choose to not make it so. This is the choice that every, Every player has. I don't multi-class my ped because that wouldn't be fun. My guess is, that is why many dragon players don't play peds, because they don't think it is fun. There is always the choice however.
    Giving dryads gliding does not hurt dragons. If you want an invulnerable character, go multi-class, as for me, I will let my dragon do my high tiered fighting and crafting
    Master Annai Aditu of the Storm
    Proud member of the Order of the Talon, Chaos
    "I'm a fair, fragile flower of femininity...and if you don't believe me I'll rip your face off!"

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

well i am an uberx6 ped and bitterbranch dropped me in 30 seconds.....
    maybe i am a sucky player, but believe me, uber peds aren't always as powerful as you might think......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

*Searches high and low for where his thread went...

I guess since the dev shot this down, we're talking about everything else. haha.

I think both Shian and Sigi make good points. I've had some experience with both peds and dragons, and my general feeling is that Peds have a lot more options open to them (different schools, better endgame, more spells etc). Flight is one of the major attractive assets of playing a dragon, and should remain unique to the race. Although it would be interesting to see there would then be unbalancing issues between Dryads and the rest of the bipedal races.

Maybe rather than true flight or gliding, Dryads could have as a racial ability the option to make a short powered 'hop' using their wings, like a jump-pack type of thing with a recycle (much like Saris Sprint)?
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

Thread Information