Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Gender-Specific Emotes

Default Re: Dragon Gender-Specific Emotes

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Players are more than welcome to write their own emotes distribute them as a mod or to even create hotkeys that send out emotes. But there are no plans on our end to create gender-specific emotes.
    If we made a mod that did this, would it display properly for others?

If so, then I suppose a mod is a good enough solution for now. I ask because I know the new dragon emote animations (back when they were mods) were only visible to others who also had the mods. I'm guessing since this is just new text, and my client would control the "other" text that players see, then it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    If we made a mod that did this, would it display properly for others?

If so, then I suppose a mod is a good enough solution for now. I ask because I know the new dragon emote animations (back when they were mods) were only visible to others who also had the mods. I'm guessing since this is just new text, and my client would control the "other" text that players see, then it should work.
    As far as I know, if you change the default text in your own files, it will only display for people who have made those same changes. That's why I suggested blank, animation-only emotes so that everyone can write their own and have everyone else see it. It looks like gender-specific emotes are not getting done, but is there any chance we see blank emotes at any point?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    As far as I know, if you change the default text in your own files, it will only display for people who have made those same changes. That's why I suggested blank, animation-only emotes so that everyone can write their own and have everyone else see it. It looks like gender-specific emotes are not getting done, but is there any chance we see blank emotes at any point?
    Why not just add some hotkeys that send a text command... /emote <whatever you want that is gender specific>
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtalon View Post
    Just for clarification, I have copied and modified the assets (Including -some- emote text; I hope that doesn't upset anyone) from Zexoin and Firebrand's mod (from the file <Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.1.(20081110).exe>) and plan to redistribute them in this gender-specific emotes pack. I have used the same installer creator used to construct that file. I hope no one has any problems with that.

In fact, it would be good to combine the Dragon Gender-Specific Emotes pack and Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack if that is possible.

If it is alright with them, I can include the files contained in Zexoin’s and Firebrand’s Sound Emotes Pack as well as the ones I modified with the final installer file I create in my installer file.

Adding genders has been already considered for our MOD as it was requested sometimes. However, I have chosen to not do it especially for official emotes. Here is the reason: if we added genders for official emotes, then the interaction would be broken between players who have the MOD and players who don't have the commands would be different.
    If you do a /standandroar_m with someone who doesn't have the MOD, he will just have nothing.
    Sure, they don't have access to brand new emotes as /victory or /summon, but they shouldn't have issue with official ones.
    People don't have our MOD either because they aren't aware of it or they don't want to have it. It's their choice, and I will never ask them to install my MOD and STFU if they want to have full interaction with the official emotes.

So for these reasons, I don't wish to add genders to official emotes in our MOD (with keeping a neutral option for who doesn't want to reveal it). Unofficial could be changed if relevant however.
    Don't get me wrong: I'm definately not against genders in emotes. If Virtrium wanted the community to do it for them because of the lack of time, I would gladly do the files edition myself. But so far, they are just not interested in that change.
    But if they changed their mind, you would have fast an update of the MOD.

If you want to use our files to make and distribute a custom MOD, you are free to do. If I have added some comments in the .def files, it was for other MOD makers.
    But I will not support it in our own version for the moment. Thank you for understanding.
    Last edited by Firebrand; January 27th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Why not just add some hotkeys that send a text command... /emote <whatever you want that is gender specific>
    Because if I read that correctly, the animation won't be used. And if you mean to combine both the animation emote and custom one on a hotkey, then the animation will display its inherent and irrelevant text. In the best case, it spams up the chat log. Worst case it causes misunderstandings in RP.

As an aside, I do hope I don't sound pushy about this ^^;. It's just something that I always thought would be nice and in my opinion very useful.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I'd say the only emote I really want a female version of is the greetemote, because as far as the soundpack goes, I hate hearing Draco's voice when my female characters greet people... lol

hehe know what u mean windseeker :P

Thread Information