Thread: An observation...

Default An observation...

Been flapping about the starter islands - New Koraelia is by FAR the most insteresting one, topography wise. Too bad it's not the one chosen to be the active one..

Default Re: An observation...

Since I'm new here I thought my computer was bugging out when I went to the training islands and realized it was completely empty haha.

From a dragonic crafting point of view I think that New Brommel is better, large copper and tin ore field right next to the Sandstone fields... It will always be the no.1 island for me.

Never bothered much with the other islands untill forced to use New Trimus.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Yeah, I miss New Brommel. Was a great quiet place to put lodestones and cast stones together.

I wish they would bring ack all the starter islands and give us a choice... perhaps they might someday... this game is really great... I really wish they could create dungeons.. we have portals... it would be kool to explore inner caverns and such... and make the caves we have dark and spooky... we do have tinkerers that can create lights or torches wooot I know i know im wishing alot...
    ps I am goin back to school ( im older by btw) perhaps they might want a p/t programmer to help out... full of ideas, but less full of ways to implement them lol

The problem with offering all four islands is that it spreads the new population out too much. If you had ten new players login to the game at the same time and each of them chose from one of four islands you'd end up with on average no more than 3 on an island at a given time.

Now, if you are one of those players which would you rather see? An island with 1 or 2 other players? Or an island with 9 other players? Busier looks better for players, the game feels more alive, and so they are more willing to stick around and give it a chance.

That was one of the main reasons for the single island.

The other is more for us, internally. Its easier to maintain and balance one island than four in terms of monsters and quests and NPCs and resources.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

In that a number of threads have been initiated making reference to various aspects of the 3 decomissioned starter islands, it would seem highly appropriate to remove these decomissioned starter island names from all teleports on which these names appear. Having done this, the new player will have no distraction as to choosing to visit these places which are simply a "leftover" of a prior phase of Istaria, with no productive value to the current gameplay experience.

Knossos

The only thing, though, is that some people *liked* the older islands, particularly NB for its uniqueness of having Bronze and Sandstone near each other with the appropriate machines to work both...

I'd hate to see that kind of thing go away.

Last I looked the bronze and sandstone at NB have been removed.

Knossos

On Order, a number of people use these locales as RP settings. If you want them to be less accessible to reduce confusion, fine, but leave access to them somewhere. No need to remove content that people are still getting use out of.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Acknowledging the use of these three islands as RP settings, may I suggest that these destinatioons as they appear on teleport(s) have the prefix word "Training" removed?

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    The only thing, though, is that some people *liked* the older islands, particularly NB for its uniqueness of having Bronze and Sandstone near each other with the appropriate machines to work both...

I'd hate to see that kind of thing go away.

Seconded. I was really miffed when i tried to do some T1 lairshaping and discovered that NB had been stripped clean. Without the sandstone/bronze right beside one another, it took me two or three times as long to get my flowstones and maelstones for corridors done.

Yes, I agree, New Brommel was the most practical island. But New Korelina is by far the PRETTIEST one.

Oh, and every hatchie should go there to test out their gliding skills - one of the tallest vertical cliffs in the game is there. Grat view, and you can reach all the way back to the town. And, since there's no critters there anymore, the run around the island and up the mountain is safe.

I agree with you deactivating three of the islands completely Amon. I just wish you'd chosen to keep New Korelina instead..

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The problem with offering all four islands is that it spreads the new population out too much. If you had ten new players login to the game at the same time and each of them chose from one of four islands you'd end up with on average no more than 3 on an island at a given time.

Now, if you are one of those players which would you rather see? An island with 1 or 2 other players? Or an island with 9 other players? Busier looks better for players, the game feels more alive, and so they are more willing to stick around and give it a chance.

That was one of the main reasons for the single island.

The other is more for us, internally. Its easier to maintain and balance one island than four in terms of monsters and quests and NPCs and resources.

New Koraelia is New Trismus backwards. Everyone has their favorites, no particular one could have been chosen to please everyone. New Trismus was chosen and will remain the main one.

The others are for all intensive purposes dead.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Acknowledging the use of these three islands as RP settings, may I suggest that these destinatioons as they appear on teleport(s) have the prefix word "Training" removed?
    Sounds like a good and reasonable idea to me.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Yes, I agree, New Brommel was the most practical island. But New Korelina is by far the PRETTIEST one.
    I'd have to argue New Vasarak is prettier. The waterfall, and the neat statues on top... Much better.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Thread Information