Thread: Minecraft

Hybrid View

Default Re: Minecraft

I don't play Minecraft myself, but I thought this was pretty cool. I found it after watching the MC Interstate (also very cool) ...

http://www.break.com/game-trailers/g...u-in-minecraft

Rakku

Oh yeah, you can do all kinds of crazy things with Redstone in Minecraft.

Not quite as complex (as I didn't spend nearly as much time on them xD) but I've got a couple videos of it:

Three bit binary calculator that will store your inputs until you hit the calculate button (Different from how most people do it, with two separate switches to represent value A and value B):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8bko1UnI0

This is a bit simpler, but consists of mostly my own designs (the description of why I built it is in the video's description):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0a9F2kI4E

The first video was done on my own singleplayer game, the second was done on Stars' server a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I don't play Minecraft myself, but I thought this was pretty cool. I found it after watching the MC Interstate (also very cool) ...

http://www.break.com/game-trailers/g...u-in-minecraft

Rakku
    FFFF they build an actual computer in a computer game.

They just divided by zero in Minecraft.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Was running through town late one night when this surprise came up over the wall and chased me.

SPIDER JOCKY

Ok guys, I have a question for you all...
    Now, I checked the world map when I was doing work to try and uncorrupt chucks that where corrupted due to the server having several shutdowns while the server was saving (constantly throwing java errors to put it mildly). This world is -so- large that it might literally take me weeks to repair all the damage to the world. So.. we have two options:
    A. I revert the world to a save made three to four weeks ago, this will cause a -lot- of work to be lost if you have been doing anything.
    B. I can entirely recreate the world, meaning... everything will be lost. Even if this does happen though, someone made a good point: Building anew can be a lot less stressful than having to rebuild something that you have lost in a three to four week time period.

This is entirely up to everyone, I want it to be a general collective of votes on this.

I suffer from the uncommon 1.3 "only I lag" syndrome (the one that gets semi-fixed by turning on frame-limiting), and have basically been unable to play on multiplayer until my computer got upgraded a few days ago, so I doubt I'll be losing much if anything with the large rollback. That said though, I'm not sure I have that much of a preference. I could easily cope with either option.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I'd say start anew, tbh. Considering we spawn most of our stuff anyway, we wouldn't really be losing time spent gathering materials. Just building. Which now that we've seen just how much stuff people can wind up building, we can plan a much larger space for the town.

Edit: Incase anybody is wondering, it would seem the cause of the corruption was the auto-update that force restarts your computer (And power outages.. Anything that makes the computer shut down unexpectedly). x3 I'm currently working on learning multithreading, socket programming, and possibly figuring out the boost template library so that I can make a much more effective auto-backup application with the ability to connect to it via client so that it's much easier to work with it. (Won't have to remote log on every time to do a manual backup, for example)

personally i'd rather have a rollback to earlier save that way i'll at least have a frame of mind of things already worked out, i dont remember how far back my Parthenon goes but to lose all i've done so far would suck but if only a bit was removed then it wouldn't be as erm... sucky i guess lol.

But i DON'T vote for things being deleted as I love our server and the dragon i made, as well as all that work that's been done on the Parthenon is going to suck so friggin badly to lose. T___T.
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

TBH it's not that great to have to rebuild a lot of stuff that was lost, as often times you're just trying to return something to the way it was and there's little to do with creativity there, just mindlessly rebuilding (and it's especially worse if you're trying to return something to the way it was before with little to guide you).

It could just be me, as I restart my singleplayer games all the time. xD But I can certainly say that any redstone I built on the server I would rather redo from scratch than try and get it operational the way it initially was.

The date of the rollback is about 4 weeks ago, your Parthenon will most certainly be gone. That may go so far as being before I did Cat's combination lock and even when New Trismus was built.

Edit: Also, outside of corrupted chunks I've noticed that most of the newly generated chunks seem to be running off of an entirely different land generation seed. I could only assume it happened when the map save format was changed for 1.3 .. But there are parts where the surface of a chunk is roughly 30 levels below the surface of chunks right next to it, leaving huge walls. I'm not sure this could be fixed if the seed has changed.
    Last edited by Akrion; March 29th, 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starstilanxs View Post
    Ok guys, I have a question for you all...
    Now, I checked the world map when I was doing work to try and uncorrupt chucks that where corrupted due to the server having several shutdowns while the server was saving (constantly throwing java errors to put it mildly). This world is -so- large that it might literally take me weeks to repair all the damage to the world. So.. we have two options:
    A. I revert the world to a save made three to four weeks ago, this will cause a -lot- of work to be lost if you have been doing anything.
    B. I can entirely recreate the world, meaning... everything will be lost. Even if this does happen though, someone made a good point: Building anew can be a lot less stressful than having to rebuild something that you have lost in a three to four week time period.

This is entirely up to everyone, I want it to be a general collective of votes on this.
    Darn, was on my last epic build before settling down into my island fortress. :X I think though starting anew will indeed be less stressful than losing everything from the last few weeks. It might be time to declutter the town anyhow.

Thread Information