Thread: Flame Attack oddities

Default Flame Attack oddities

The Flame Attack spells are listed as require flame or summoning skill, but the spellbook only shows them in the Flame filter. Other spells that can use 2 skills, like the revitalize spells, appear in both filters. Also the Ice Attack and Energy Attack spells can not use the summoning skill, only ice or energy, respectively.

Default Re: Flame Attack oddities

Flame Attack does not use Summoning, nor does Revitalize use a skill other than Life.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Flame attack CAN use summoning, and Revitalize CAN use nature.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Flame attack CAN use summoning, and Revitalize CAN use nature.
    No, they cannot. But, I understand where the confusion lies. There is a difference in the game between a Spell USING a Skill to boost its effectiveness or its chance to "hit" and a Spell REQUIRING a Skill to be scribed or used.

Flame Attack USES Flame, but REQUIRES Flame or Summoning. Revitalize USES Life, but REQUIRES Life or Nature.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Flame attack does indeed use Summoning, says it on tooltip when you hover it. Flame I is 50 Summoning or 70 Flame, Flame Attack II is 250 Summoning or 270 Flame, etc...

That was the point he was making. He was also saying that if Flame Attack allows Summoning AND Flame, then why doesn't Ice/Energy attack also allow summoning...

Revitalize I: 1 Life or 30 Nature
    Revitalize II: 200 Life or 230 Nature
    Etc.

Think the whole point being made was to set the Revitalize/Improved Revitalize spells to use both the Nature and Life filter checkboxes and Flame Attack to use both Flame and Summoning filter checkboxes.

Second part would be if the Flame Attack uses both Summoning and Flame, then why doesn't the Ice/Energy attacks use both Ice/Energy in addition to Summoning Skills (if this were to be implemented then be sure to added both checkboxes on Filter (Ice/Energy + Summoning).

Edit: Eh, posted this before Amon got his last post in, so this was after his post, before reading ... But still, think his posting was basically in regards to adding the Filter checkbox (in spell window) to also be able to filter with Summoning... Not sure if that meets the requirements now... ?
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Can certainly update the other Attack spells to allow Summoning as an alternate requirement and to filter by it, but not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    No, they cannot. But, I understand where the confusion lies. There is a difference in the game between a Spell USING a Skill to boost its effectiveness or its chance to "hit" and a Spell REQUIRING a Skill to be scribed or used.

Flame Attack USES Flame, but REQUIRES Flame or Summoning. Revitalize USES Life, but REQUIRES Life or Nature.

I'm still confused, Amon Is there any other way you can explain that please?
    When I was leveling Druid as my first school, I was able to scribe and cast the revitalise line of heals using the nature skill. Druid does not get any life skill, so wouldn't that suggest the heals would've been very ineffective?
    It probably doesn't affect Flame attack, since I'm guessing its effectiveness doesn't scale with the Flame skill.

Anyway, if the Flame Attack line of spells could show in the Spellbook when filtering by Summoning, that would be great And if you wanted to change the other Attack buff spells to use Summoning as well, I won't object

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    I'm still confused, Amon Is there any other way you can explain that please?
    When I was leveling Druid as my first school, I was able to scribe and cast the revitalise line of heals using the nature skill. Druid does not get any life skill, so wouldn't that suggest the heals would've been very ineffective?
    It probably doesn't affect Flame attack, since I'm guessing its effectiveness doesn't scale with the Flame skill.
    Correct, it would have used whatever Life skill you had (if for example you had joined Cleric first), but otherwise they would have been far less effective than they would be if you were leveling a school that gave you additional Life skill.

Thanks for clarification, Amon (I had zero life skill at that time as I went Spiritist/Druid). I don't recall the heals being that much less effective but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Can certainly update the other Attack spells to allow Summoning as an alternate requirement and to filter by it, but not use it.
    Thanks Amon! That'd be awesome. I didn't know that Flame Attack was missing the Summoning filter until this post... But kind of wondered why Ice/Energy attack didn't have Summoning skill, like Flame does... But never asked :shrug:

Plus the Summoning filter is so bare, would be nice to see a couple extra things show up.
    Only aware of Flame Spear and Ice Hammer for summoning.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thread Information