Thread: I was wondering if a Dragon is good for a noob

Mikey

Default I was wondering if a Dragon is good for a noob

Hi, I am just about to start playing this game, and I have read a real lot about it.

And I am curious with what to start with cause I decided I should start with something easy. I found that there are 2 races that seem equal.

The Half - Giant or else the Dragon....

The Dragon sounds cool, but I haven't heard enough about him. Is the dragon an easy race to start with?....oris one of the other races a better start?...my other preference beingaHalf-Giant.

I am asking cause I understood after what I read that being a Dragon is looking at the game in a totally different way....

If there are any objections to what I said, please do tell so I understand better the Dragon race!

Anyway thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies [;)]

Default Re: I was wondering if a Dragon is good for a noob

Well, I'm not sure in what way you mean that Half Giants and Dragons seem equal. Base stats perhaps? If that is the case, you can ignore base statistics, they don't matter.

As you have been reading, dragons play totaly diferent from any other race in the game. You start out basicaly unable to wear any equipment to boost your stats or defense, and with only one crafting and one adventuring school to choose from. Newborn dragons are fairly weak, yes. But, I do not think it was overly dificult in that period. As a dragon you will get significantly stronger as you age. Bipeds (what all the other races are refered to as) are rather diferent. I'll leave it at that though, as I have little experience with them. Dragons also have the advantage of having the most content in the game- two epic quests, and ability quests (mostly) every 10 levels for your crafting and adventuring skills. They also have two complete racial cities. If a dragon seems interesting to you as an idea, I'd say go for it.
    Lumineux Talar

Mikey

Yeah sorry I meant in combat as Warrior they seem similar but then for Arcane dragons are much better, although I don't know if you can have a dragon's class as Warrior, it seems you can use him similar to a Warrior for tanking and stuff like that. Anyway I just wanna see what is the better for a noob. Seems I should go for Dragon but if there is anyone who thinks its better to beHalf-Giant to try see what else I could learn please just post something thx :)

Oh- Dragons cannot join a school like "Warrior" or "Mage" as the bipeds can. Rather, Dragons have only the single (generic) Dragon Adventure class. In this, dragons are basicaly a hybrid. They can be decent warriors (mid-range armor, highish health, and pretty decent attack if you are willing to spend a lot of hoard.) We also have 4 Area of effect damage spells, and a repeating single target spell. If you choose to focus on magic they can be fairly powerfull as well.
    Lumineux Talar

Speaking as a mostly-caster dragon with little biped experience. . . .
    Dragons are totally different from any biped experience. However, this can make it easier. What you are as a dragon is dependant more on your training points and preferances in battle than any sort of multiclassing (which still confuses me at times XD).A Dragon can be a warrior, a caster, or a mix of the two. A dragon's hoard is also something that a biped has no dealing with.

Bipeds however can multiclass, giving them a wealth of abilities and allowing some to 'perfect' their character. In this way, in the 'endgame,' bipeds can become more powerful than dragons. However, bipeds have much less to do than just grind away the levels it seems, as dragons are the ones with the quests, as our abilities are more quest rewards than level-up rewards as bipeds' abilities are.

So, the choice is yours. Do you prefer open-ended combat that requires far less planning and a good number of quests, but will produce an (at this time) weaker overall character? Go dragon. Or will you choose to grind up to uberness, even though said uberness can take months to achieve? Go biped.

However, remember: Dragons can fly which in itself is worth the time spent to achieve it.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

acually.. hehe we were all noobs when the game first came out, its only fair to say being a dragon is more challenging, and we'll leave it at that :)

well it certainly is more difficult but in the long run for me, dragon was the way to go. sure you can always make a biped but it just won't be the same as to playing a dragon that you worked on for quite awhile.
    Xerses 100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragon Crafter
    28 million hoard and counting...
    Yamir Onimar 100 Warrior / 100 Cleric / 84 Druid / 37 Mage

Hawk

And we dragons dont have to carry tools round all the time WOOT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    And we dragons dont have to carry tools round all the time WOOT
    And that is the biggest blessing you can have!!! [:D]
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Dragons start out pretty weak (and cute), but you get more nasty as you grow. As for what is easier for a newcomer; we only have one craft school, and as crafting can seem pretty complex in Hz, that is definately an advantage...

grumbold

Dragons are fun to play but having just had a guided tour from a senior player, one thing is immediately obvious: you need to be aware of how to improve your character. YOu can get to level 10 without really needing to know anything about dragon spells or abilities but after that you need to get an arsenal of primal spells and do some of the dragon quests to boost yourself up. Its a lot more involved than just strapping on new armour and grabbing a new weapon every few levels as a biped warrior might do.

Thread Information