Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
As a recently returned player, currently playing free, I like the idea. While in years past, I was able to afford two subs at a time, (and had them for a couple of years), at the moment, alas, I am unable to justify the expenditure for even one...so, after a few years away, I have started a new account and am playing free. I could, I think, manage the $4.99 monthly charge, should that be adopted. (I am not destitute, just more fiscally responsible.)

I would not mind the lack of a plot, and it seems fair to me that that not be included. I do not mind that dragon characters are not included in the free-to-play, (or so I understand. They are a limited 2-week trial only, no?)

That being said...Order Shard is down to 20 or fewer players online at a given time, even on a weekend night during the holidays. Obviously, I cannot speak to Chaos Shard, as I have only the one character, but I would not expect it to be gravely over-populated, by comparison. There is an enormous quantity of unclaimed/un-owned plots and lairs on Order.

Further, when playing a dragon character as a paying client, I was inordinately fond of (and identified with) my character.

The plot and the dragon were what kept me paying the price. Those were the two things that kept me logging on, night after night. If I could play a dragon free right now, and build (and build and build...) my lair, I would easily become addicted to the game again, I believe.

If the owners of this game really want to increase the player base, I think the $4.99 subscription price suggested here would certainly help.

Further, optioning the rights to a plot add-on (for a further cost, or just as part the $4.99 upgrade), would not only generate additional income, but would aid and abet that all-important game loyalty (call it addiction, if you wish. I think of it that way.), and would be the siren call to draw players to the full sub.

As for the dragon...if a free dragon can attain flight, they will not pay for it. (I realize I am the one here who mentioned dragons. I would! Forgive me, please, for adding an extra layer to the discussion.) If I am mistaken, and they are free, then I would suggest that the ascension rites and flight not be available to a $4.99 account, but that dragon characters be part of the $4.99 upgrade in all other respects.
I was simply offering the the idea of letting dragons progress past level cap from the free account, and letting them pay a low sub fee to continue leveling that dragon. Why restrict dragons from flying if they progress to points where they can ascend? That just defeats the purpose of my original suggestion which is removing the level cap with a $4.99 monthly fee so the characters can continue progressing. I would think that ascension is part of that progression. That fee is still paying for access to character progression, there is no reason to concoct more walls to force them to pay the larger fees, especially if the player is paying to play that one character only and has no wish to add more characters or to futz with a lair/player housing system. I want to play one dragon only, no alts, no player housing, just me and my one dragon. Maybe at some point I might want a lair or another alt, and I can upgrade my sub then. For now just one character without level caps or any other progression walls. I would still be a paying customer so no need to con volute ways to prevent hatchlings from flying or ascending. I'd be paying access to one character only who can progress as normal as in any of the other sub options.