Thread: Fun Fact

Hybrid View

Default Re: Fun Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Also, if an Istarian day really is 1/24 of our day...
    Whoa, hang on there! A day is the amount of time it takes for one day/night cycle, not the passage of 86400 seconds. A second in Istaria is still a second here. Take a look at your spells' casting and recycle timers. (They're in deciseconds.)

Your initial move speed calculations were pretty close. Istarian move speeds are in decimeters per second, so that speed of 220 would translate into 22.0m/s, or about 50 mph.

As for the size of Istaria, yeah, the explored land area is pretty small. The current client contains design assumptions that the world won't be larger than 65km x 65km, though with some changes, we could safely go to 2048km x 2048km... but who needs that much space, anyway?

What this means is that for RP purposes, you'll either have to accept that Istaria is kind of small compared to Earth; or that Istaria is comparable to Earth in size and its inhabitants just move unnaturally fast. Of course, we haven't considered things like the density of the atmosphere, or the mass of a dragon or biped, so maybe "unnaturally fast" isn't so unnatural after all.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Yeah.. exactly XD Just like Jupiter has 8 hour days. It rotates fast, it doesn't just have 2/3 of a second seconds. =P
    Geeze, guys, read up some before you judge me for the 1/24 second! xD Meepsa is the one that originally suggested that idea based on the fact clocks rotate faster. I just decided I'd do the calculations to show insane that'd be anyways.

Also, by 1/24 of our day, I mean that 1 Istarian day = 1 earth hour. 24 earth hours = 1 earth day. In comparison, Istaria's day is 1/24 of our day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    As for the size of Istaria, yeah, the explored land area is pretty small. The current client contains design assumptions that the world won't be larger than 65km x 65km, though with some changes, we could safely go to 2048km x 2048km... but who needs that much space, anyway?
    .....*raises paw* I, for one, would absolutely adore an eastern continent. :3 Of course, with larger size comes smaller chances of running into other people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    What this means is that for RP purposes, you'll either have to accept that Istaria is kind of small compared to Earth; or that Istaria is comparable to Earth in size and its inhabitants just move unnaturally fast. Of course, we haven't considered things like the density of the atmosphere, or the mass of a dragon or biped, so maybe "unnaturally fast" isn't so unnatural after all.
    Maybe they're made of dark matter and just defy the laws of gravity and friction like a boss? Oh well, just something to ponder! Thanks for lighting things up around that.

Thanks Steelclaw

Cheers :beer:
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information