Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My little tribute to HZ: HtG (warning: lots of images)

Default My little tribute to HZ: HtG (warning: lots of images)

Horizons The Gathering

Basic Lands:

Lands and Multicolor Lands:

Legendary Lands:

Creatures and Artifact Creatures:

White:

Blue:

Black:

Red:

Green:

Colorless:

Enchancements:

Enchantments:

Enchant Creature:

Enchant Land:

Enchant World:

Sorcery and Instants:

Some Notes:
    I considered if I should post these to off-topic, but decided against that as this is quite obviously related and relevant to Horizons.

I haven't played MtG in a decade or more. I've no idea of the current rules beyond what little I researched for these. The cards here have not been balanced, nor are they intended to be; thus many are underpowered or overpowered - especially check out the black cards that relate to errors, servers and developers. Creating actually playable cards wasn't the intent of this project in the first place, anyway.

Black cards usually require more colored mana to play than other colors, as I've made it easy to blight lands and thus convert them to produce black mana.

Color assignments:
    I've assigned colors to by in many places ignoring MtG's assignments and making up my own. Above and beyond what is listed below, black cards also represent errors in code, server hiccups and developer activity. For the interested parties, they go as follows:

Assigned land types:
    WHITE: plains
    BLUE: islands, snow-covered regions
    BLACK: blight blooms, swamps
    RED: mountains, volcanic regions
    GREEN: forests

Creature assignment to colors:
    By land they inhabit (nahguk ogres are plains and white), by elemental affinity (lava golem, fire pygmy and fire ogre are red etc), by thematic affinity (magma kwellen is allied with WA and thus black) or judgment call (all golems except elemental affiliates are colorless).

Magic assigned to colors: (though I inthe end mage a decision not to add spells)
    WHITE: augmentation, life, summoning
    BLUE: ice, mind
    BLACK: blight, spirit
    RED: flame, energy
    GREEN: nature
    COLORLESS: primal
    Summoning is assigned to white because it is currently insignificant, and borrows all of its effects from schools assigned to other colors. Primal could make a good case on belonging to blue (wind magic) or red (world's own power) but I decided to cop out and make it colorless on interests of balancing magic schools to colors.

Player races assigned to colors:
    WHITE: human, gnome, saris
    BLUE: dragon (helian), fiend
    BLACK: none (black is Withered Aegis)
    RED: dragon (lunus), dwarf, half-giant
    GREEN: dryad, elf, satyr, sslik
    Racial cities used as legendary lands are assigned color by same criteria. Generally, the player race color decides card color regardless of any school the creature may be assigned to.

Special abilities set to school-related creature cards (most abilities will be activated abilities): These are intended for Legendary Creatures only; normal schooled creatures go without abilities. The list is unfinished as I've no good knowledge of certain classes' unmasterable, school-defining abilities.
    Battle Mage
    BERSERKER: Ignore Pain (ignore damage from one blocking/blocked creature)
    Blood Mage
    Chaos Warrior
    CLERIC: Weaken Black Creatures (diminishes power and toughness of black creatures)
    Conjurer
    Crossbowman
    DRAGON: Gold Rage (sacrifice controlled artifact for power boost)
    Druid
    Elemental Archer
    Flame Disciple
    Guardian
    HEALER: Damage Prevention (negates damage creature receives in combat)
    Ice Disciple
    KNIGHT OF CREATION: Banish Armor (ignore toughness boosts and use the creature card's base value)
    MAGE: Damage Target Creature (rangestrike bought with red mana)
    Monk
    PALADIN: Protection From Black (as it says)
    Ranger
    Reaver
    Scout
    SHAMAN: Expulse (remove enchantments from target creature)
    SORCERER: Spellbind (tap target creature)
    Spearman
    Spirit Disciple
    SPIRITIST: Lifetap (boost toughness of own creature, diminish toughness of opposing creature)
    Storm Disciple
    WARRIOR: Double Strike (as it says)
    Wizard

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Default Re: My little tribute to HZ: HtG (warning: lots of images)

No words
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

lol at "error - grouping". i remember lem with his 40 marrows... good times.
    awesome work Varangaard
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

I haven't played M:tG in many years but you capture the look perfectly. I can't wait to look at this on my own computer instead of my Mom's laptop which keeps getting an error and only booting in Safe Mode :(

Very well done!

-Levity

It appears I forgot to include one of the most pertinent pieces of information; this wouldn't have been possible without a nifty piece of software called MtG Editor. It takes care of backgrounds and image/text positioning, leaving to me just the rules part, flavor text and images. All pictures have been touched with photoshop, as HZ screenies are bit flat on the saturation department. Most also need levels adjustment, especially the ones taken on blight.

Now, if anyone wants to see their ugly mug as one of the Legendary Creatures in the set, PM me with a link to a screenshot of yourself (whole body or waist up, I'll take care of saturation/levels adjustments if it needs any). When taking the shot, have options for visible name and visible guild name off so they don't appear on the shot. Add in your character's name - first name only will be used because of space considerations. Tell me your race - I'll assign card color by race - or the specific card color if you want some other. Choose one class you want to be; I'm not going to do multiclassed creatures. Note down your level in the class; I'll assign power and toughness by level/20, rounded up - caster classes will be adjusted down some. Choose +1 to either power or toughness for the privilege of being a Legendary Creature. [;)]

Abilities I will assign by list I've posted. I know many are not available at lower levels, but I'll just ignore that bit. If your class has no ability listed yet, describe me your class' defining ability and I'll try to turn it into simple MtG rule and add to list. Finally, choose some flavor text to the bottom of card, but remember that space is limited so make it short. I will not correct any typos on the flavor text, it'll be straigth copypaste.

Lol nice job Varan! :D

But surely you have forgotten a few mobs, just beacuse they are not in the game anymore they could still be included, likeAOP,or cursed doggies(I know you have killed enough of those to never wish to see them again ;)). I have never played magic though, so have little concept of how much cards should cost to deploy.

AOP
    4/4
    special ability: can command other black monsters and adds +1/+1 or something ;)

Cursed wolves
    3/3
    Special ability: In big numbers they make you sleepy,unconcentrated and prone to insane giggeling :P

And of course

Urodwaggie
    7/7(was loking at what you gave umyaar and surtheim, and thoseuro ussually eats)
    flying, goldrage, big hoard(no need to sacrifice an artifact, but the silly grinding makes Uro more expensive(or something))
    Uroloki Chaos (Unity)(ice)

Holy batman! [:O] Great job Varan! [H]

I really love the cards [:P]

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

wow great work

i love your cards!!!!

very nice pictures

*twitch* that brought me back to my eight-grade year, I remember playing that game during chior, OH BOY! thems was good times. Now I sitting here with a large collection of cards, and two Krosan Cloudscrapers (13/13 :no special ability), and no one wants to buy them from me[:'(][:'(].

....ANYWHO!!!

That was very entertaining, very nice job.

imported_Godly

OO my holly god this is awesome
    i still play magic and this is well dunno what to say
    I WANT THIS DECK no matter what cost

very nice job vara iam so gratefull

Quote Originally Posted by Uro
    But surely you have forgotten a few mobs, just beacuse they are not in the game anymore they could still be included, likeAOP,or cursed doggies(I know you have killed enough of those to never wish to see them again [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]). I have never played magic though, so have little concept of how much cards should cost to deploy.
    I certainly would have liked to add Avatar of Pain, but I've lost all of my old screenshots (everything before Nov 2004). Anyway, I didn't have too many AoP shots that would've been usable. Same goes for cursed wolves, I don't think I ever took a close-up screenie of them... adding to that, dragon perspective is set high off the ground, good images of short creatures are hard to take (you'll notice all pygmys have been screenshotted uphill, and for the really small ones I fielded my biped alt).

In other news, the first player-based Legendary Creature is finished. Ladies and gents, flame disciple Menkure:

Bleh, little bump post to bring this back up; I forgot editing the opening post sends the thread to very bottom of the pile... [:S]

Cool!!
    very, very nicely done..
    you've put a lot of work in it, thanks for sharing :)
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Varangaard

Ohh!! I love it!! [:D] Thank you very much Varangaard!

-Menkure

that is a wonderful program, to bad I don't have actual screen shots I can mess around with anymore, since I deleted the program I never thought I'd need them again.

anywho, thought I'd have a crack at it [:D]

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ibunalmang.jpg

(I uh... might have overpowerd it just alittle)

but the idea of course is all yours.[:)]

Wonderful work! It would be a marvelous thing indeed to have an istarian themed set for M:tG.

A few quick observations

You ought not to use the Tazoon desert for a graphic for a plain. There is/was a land type called desert (arabian nights expansion) which is more appropriate.

The Machines Will Fall costs RR1 and destroys an artifact or artifact creature and is a sorcery.

This is categorically inferior to the old stanby, Shatter which costs R1 and affects artifacts and is an instant.

Wow! Very nice work Varangaard!

"I will take my brush from the warpaint,
    My foot from the warpath
    When you understand
    It is sadness that drives the wrath..."
    Buffalo
    Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Quote Originally Posted by cattoy
    You ought not to use the Tazoon desert for a graphic for a plain. There is/was a land type called desert (arabian nights expansion) which is more appropriate.

The Machines Will Fall costs RR1 and destroys an artifact or artifact creature and is a sorcery.

This is categorically inferior to the old stanby, Shatter which costs R1 and affects artifacts and is an instant.
    I did say I'm twisting the rules around a bit. [;)] I made desert a white/plains so I'd have an excuse to call all desert-dwelling creatures white creatures. Further, Tazoon Desert looked nice so I just had to make some card featuring the vista. ^__^ I've adjusted the machines card cost downwards; I'm a bit surprised how easy and cheap it is to destroy artifacts in MtG.

Also, thanks to everyone for the compliments! It was a lot of work, but it was fun running around Istaria for the shots. Else I'd never have finished the project. Regretfully I spoiled the Valkor screenshot as I didn't notice a marrow passing through him, so no card for him yet... I even got DP for the trouble (multicast vampiric bats, ow).[:P]

imported_Kepesk

Fine fine.. Now I'm going to have to buy up a bunch of land, print these on sticky paper, and.. well.. yanno. ;)

-Your friendly neighborhood stripey dragon

Ophelea

Umm...wow!

Thread Information