Thread: comaparing ancient size to biped height

Default comaparing ancient size to biped height

I notice poeple are showing pics of ancients compared to adult dragons but no one has shown a ancient next to a biped height. well here is proof that the old size model is easy to see under if you are a biped(or khunit)

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/comapareancient.jpg

Default Re: comaparing ancient size to biped height

Great pic blue.
    Undeniable evidence that the old model gives bipeds a better view of their surroundings then even the adult model does.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

The screenshot isn't loading anymore, unfortunately. It was a good piece of work.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Before the shrink, I remember basically walking a hatchling under the ancient on Skalklaar (when I was checking it out). The ancient was huge compared to the hatchling. But something seems off on this pic to be honest. It may just be the picture format or something, but the Khutit is blurry while everything else is sharp. It looks kind of like what happens when an image is shrunk some before being put in another picture. I am not saying that is what happened here, but that looks an awful lot like what I see when I am playing around in Photoshop...
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

the img contians two shots(each about 1.5 megs)in it and the new file size is 143k to make it a quicker load over the web. so of course it is going to look blurry[:^)]

I swear by all of my hoard that i did not alter the pic in any way to give false impresions

There is a super-easy way to test this, you know. Load the Old model and see for yourself. The one caveat is that you will need to make sure the Ancient you are using for comparison is at max hight.

I use the Old models, and can tell you for sure that most Bi-Peds can walk right under me and not touch. Half-Giants being the possible exception, in that the only Half-Giant I have teamed with lately is one that I do not know if they are max-height.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

while the old ancient model may have given a more unobstructed view to those standing directly underneath, it just makes things worse for ranged characters, or people who are not standing directly underneath.

The bounding box was so large, and the dragons were so big, that as a caster standing ~15m away (not very far away for a caster, 30m is more common) I had no chance of targeting anything in front of me. f10 was my only choice.

dragons in combat generally do not stand still like in that screenshot either. They love to rear up on their hind legs and blow fire, run around, flap the wings, and they also swipe with the claws and all that. So that wonderful little "view pocket" underneath is constantly moving.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by tjl
    while the old ancient model may have given a more unobstructed view to those standing directly underneath, it just makes things worse for ranged characters, or people who are not standing directly underneath.

The bounding box was so large, and the dragons were so big, that as a caster standing ~15m away (not very far away for a caster, 30m is more common) I had no chance of targeting anything in front of me. f10 was my only choice.

dragons in combat generally do not stand still like in that screenshot either. They love to rear up on their hind legs and blow fire, run around, flap the wings, and they also swipe with the claws and all that. So that wonderful little "view pocket" underneath is constantly moving.
    You know, it's interesting, actually--I'm native to the Chaos server, but copied to Blight when the most recent window came up, for ARoP testing. the Mirsathia on Blight never finished ARoP, so she's still adult...

And the bounding box is actually BIGGER for an Adult dragon than it is for my Ancient form on Chaos. I discovered this by bring totally unable to walk through openings on Blight which I can fit through perfectly fine on Chaos.

I just find that interesting. I dread what the bounding box is/would be for the old Ancient model. I have enough issues with selecting resource nodes close to me as it is, with the smaller box.

~Mirsathia

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia
    the img contians two shots(each about 1.5 megs)in it and the new file size is 143k to make it a quicker load over the web. so of course it is going to look blurry[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-18.gif[/img]

I swear by all of my hoard that i did not alter the pic in any way to give false impresions
    That is prolly what it is then, the second shot lost some of the resolution when you plugged it in and saved again as the smaller size.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

While on my biped (who is a Healer, btw, and spends most of his time standing as far out of range of attacks as possible, but still in range of healing), I have no issues selecting mobs, other players, corpses, etc. Yeah, it requires a bit of camera management and positioning, as well as cooperating Dragon group members, but it is not that hard to do.

While on my Dragon (with the old, larger Ancient models loaded), I can select mobs, corpses, other players, resource nodes, etc, without significant effort. I also fit through very small doorways. I can walk into Guildhalls, the vault buildings in Mahagra and Dalimond, and player vault buildings. My head sticks into the ceiling in player vaults, so I think it is probably a little small for that, but it doesn't bother me; I'll sometimes switch to Khutit to go in them anyway, just for RP value, and I was used to it already as an adult.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirsathia
    And the bounding box is actually BIGGER for an Adult dragon than it is for my Ancient form on Chaos. I discovered this by bring totally unable to walk through openings on Blight which I can fit through perfectly fine on Chaos.
    It seems to me that the bounding box for an ancient (I run the old models) is the same size as an adult's... I can still fit into all the same buildings that I was able to before I ascended. As a side note, the zombie and ghost costumes have much larger bounding boxes than normal. I don't know if that's what you were seeing on Blight.
    Tympest Stormchaser
    100/100 Ancient Lunus Dragon - Retired
    Erus Ex Istaria - Order

Thread Information