Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Dragon Gender.

Default Suggestion: Dragon Gender.

I don't remember there being 'gender' in the character selection screen when I made my character, and when another dragon is doing something, it'll refer to that dragon as "it" in the chat box.

Here's my suggestion:

Could we please have Gender for dragon? I know that Ssilk reproduce asexually and I can understand them being genderless, but many times in NPCs and even people talking on the chat, I hear "hatchling" and 'fresh out of the egg' being mentioned.... so that leads me to believe there IS a gender for dragons, its just not implemented in game terms.

At least with a gender, when you hear someone's name, you could do a search on them before you accidently call them the wrong gender (someone mentioned this in the dragon channel once).

And mayhaps the models themselves could be worked on a little, mayhaps the females have just slightly more slender heads/faces, and mayhaps just slightly more agile looking bodies while the males would have a broader body size in general, and mayhaps just slightly more horns/fins on the head?

Just some ideas...

--Dhalin

Default Re: Suggestion: Dragon Gender.

Pretty sure Dragons just kind of lay eggs every now and then, with no actual reproduction. That, or like the Sslik, asexual reproduction. It can be confusing, yes. On the same note, I sometimes choose female character models dispite IRL I'm a male. It's kind of an odd thing we've all had to live with for a very long time now.... Just guess, if your wrong, I doubt anybody would be offended.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Pink, Purple(most of the time)Light blue, Light Purple-usally a female.

Yes I have been yelled at about it before[:$]

Others-tend to be male.

Gamer-tends to be male, regardless of what they're playing... some people just need a women in their life, err I mean, gender doesn't really matter imo[H]

Heeey watch it there, my GF plays and she is a gold dragon with yellow stripes.. *grins* She's a Pern lover.

--Dhalin

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    Heeey watch it there, my GF plays and she is a gold dragon with yellow stripes
    GARH, dragons confuse me.

I would have gotten yelled at for that too.

Loacalea

How about dragon are netrul becuase in the dragon age all dragon had a high magic aura within them.
    So dragon eggs could been value for there power and may have increase the blight power greatly when theytoke there eggs.
    As a diffense against this the dragon had to do something drastic and strip there young one of there power till they can defend themself.
    So the RoP was created for them to regain the power thats was strip from them.
    If a gender was chosen there power would probly flowe backwithin them.
    So giving dragon a quest to regain there power and choicing there gender could be apply.

The SslikI think wasn't usualy the formthey are nowthey could had regenated from giant flightless lizard.
    After the blight attack they could had been strip of there past and ability andto preserve there race.
    So they could had preserve there egges to strech there race till they can break the blight cures.
    This been kept a secreat even from the blight if they know the Sslik had seal some of there egges the blight would try to discover them.

It has already been stated by the devs many times now that Dragons DO have gender. In fact, model files for both male and female models have already been made (you can find them in the resources directory tree). All that is left is putting in the capability to specify for existing ones, and updating character creation so people can pick. Plus, changing some emotes.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

There are no externally visible differences between male and female Dragons that non-dragons can see. There are male and female Dragons, but it is up to the Dragon to reveal to others which they are.

David Bowman
    David Bowman

Okay, so they already exist, it just needs to go Live?

Cool!

--Dhalin

lol no, what he's probably saying is that a dragon has to state in a chat or something if they are male or female.
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

A few things have been suggested like emblems, etc. that would show a dragon's gender if they wanted too. Internally the game doesn't assign any gender to dragons, it's up to you to roleplay/chat whatever you want your dragons gender to be.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman

There are no externally visible differences between male and female Dragons that non-dragons can see. There are male and female Dragons, but it is up to the Dragon to reveal to others which they are.

David Bowman
    Perhaps for a non initiate on reptile anatomy. But a dragon should be able to tell if another dragon is a male or female, since we lack the other signs that would tell us.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by Vizharan
    Pretty sure Dragons just kind of lay eggs every now and then, with no actual reproduction. That, or like the Sslik, asexual reproduction. It can be confusing, yes. On the same note, I sometimes choose female character models dispite IRL I'm a male. It's kind of an odd thing we've all had to live with for a very long time now.... Just guess, if your wrong, I doubt anybody would be offended.

I always depissed the idea of EVERY reptilian race being asexual. For god sake, there's only 1-2 species of reptiles that are asexual over more than a thousand.But cheesecake sci-fiction or fantasy *cough* Enemy Mine*cough* always want to give reptiles something extreme to have more people hate them.

Sadly, the Dev prefered to copy/paste a single model than tweak one to give more male/female characteristic, without going to the obvious...
    Frill Vs fins, slender vs bigger tail, bigger backplate for male. or broader muzzle.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

They get all that and now gender too????????????????

rofl had to say it ;)

or come to forums and select (none-male-female)
    and get in reviting conversations with the rest of us.[H]

I want the ability to wear a giant pink bow. ;)

/sarcasm off
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

This is something which came up a a long time before beta when it was revealed dragons wouldn't have gender. Presumably the lack of gender was so intertwined into their engine that it was more trouble then it was worth to change it. Ok, some unknown designer did an oops.Wouldn't be the first time.

The way I figure it, at this point it could take a lot of dev time to straighten everything out (change the database, change the models, change the client, change the creation screen, figure a way of modifying existing dragons on the fly, figure a way so that existing dragons can specify their gender, possibly change the network protocol, probably change something in the server, assign gender to all the NPC dragons, etc.). Do you really want them to spend that time on dragon gender when they could be spending it on something else? Would you rather they have externally visible gender or that they have lairs? Keep in mind that changing the appearance of the models in any way is probably not going to make some dragon players happy -- they like their dragon the way it is now.

So the official line has been what DB has said. It works andit avoids a huge amount of effort for very little gain.

I see nothing at all wrong with the gender of dragons not being identifiable.

Maybe make second emblem like slot that can only take 2 emblems, Male or Female. Once placed in the slot it is permanent and cannot be removed. If they dont put the emblem in the slot, no gender gets listed on /who, if they do, then their gender would be listed. Hand these out to all dragons, making them attuned, so they would have to delete the one they didnt use, but would not have to choose a gender right away if they didnt want to.

Oh and BTW, Tribunal, don't go by the dragon's color. My female dragon is dark blue and I know one male hatchling who is light purple.
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Very true on color. Tamaracaran is red (and male). Frith-Rae is red (and female).

Someone mentioned a female gold. Denrath is gold and male.

And I really should mention Tagath (male, blue) and saphire (female, blue).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I am a red dragon......and female.:P Even in real life.:)
    "Sarcasm! Just one more of the FREE services I offer."

Thread Information