Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your daddy?

Hybrid View

Default Who's your daddy?

I have been working on writing my character background story and one particular plot point is holding me up.

If dragons are of neutral sex how are new hatchlings made?

Is any dragon capable of laying and fertilizing the egg(s)? Is it simply a magical process where the physiology as we think of it isn't necessary?

I have searched the lore forums and all the other sites and can't find an answer to this. Has it ever been mentioned in game lore or mechanics?

Any thoughts?

Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Default Re: Who's your daddy?

Just because Bi-Peds can't tell us appart doesn't mean we are neutral sex. Mydnite is very much male, and I have talked with several Dragons who were very much female. No, no cyber involved for those of you pervs out there [:P]

In all the stories I have read concerning Dragons and Dragon Lore outside of Horizons, most agree Dragons are male and female.

Horizons chose misinformed Lore based upon limitations of modeling, but we all know differently [:D]

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

the only poeple that claim they are of nurtaul gender are those with bipeds as there main. you will not find one dragon that does not have a gender. it has even been said by TG on many ocasions that dragons do have genders, but it is not noticable only we dragons know are own gender.

enough said. this topic is old and tired of telling poeple that we do have gender!

On somewhat related note, the khutit form quest establishes lore on dragon names. The first part a dragon's name is the biped equivalent of first name, while the latter section is the biped equivalent of surname. Fortunately, back when I made my dragon I created a name long enough, so I can say that I am Varan of the clan Gaard (or Var of Angaard, whichever). [:)]

My original reason for eschewing a surname was my thinking that each and every dragon is well known amongst lessers folks as to not need a surname. Their name precedes them, and strikes fear into hearts of those who hear it. [;)]

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Well...

1) I was named by elves
    2) My "surname" is a title, also given by elves.

[:D]
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus
    Well...

1) I was named by elves
    2) My "surname" is a title, also given by elves.

[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    *a green Khutit looks over* Why, I altho bear an Elvish name. Motht fitting, ath I wath born one. In the Human tongue, my name meanth Merry Woman of the Thtarth. I thaw no reathon to change it onthe I wath forthed into thith thcaly form. Which ith female, thank you very much. *wraps a patterned silk robe about herself, wincing when it tears on a spine spike, and minces off*

-Myrthwynn Elendion
    Adult Dragon in her 40's

Blue Hasia wrote:

> the only poeple that claim they are of nurtaul gender are those with bipeds as
    > there main.

i assure you dorrin is my main.

"hi, nice to meet you. i'm the exception to the rule."

i know of at least 2 others as well.

you may have wings and scales then but if you claim you are nutreal then I can not consider you a dragon. sorry i would be lying if i said it was ok. dragons have gender, it is a given fact. if you have proof of other wise please dotell me were you got your refernce from and ill look into this but so far all the lore on dragons I have seen,est 45 dragon books,est 7games,est 9movies, and many websites. will all show dragons with a gender to them and website and books will even go into how mating and parenting of a dragons lifestyle

ps cant forget those two recent documentrys on dragons that were recently shown on animal planet and histry channel.

Scotland/Unity/Where the shadows are thickest...

Well, to be honest in-game the clarification of my gender does not concern me any longer... it's a bit different from just being referred to as a neuter, no... rather when people get into specifics the majority cannot hit on my actual gender choosing from just the standard male or female. Heck even fellow dragons get my gender wrong... I reckon 1/8 people get my gender right.

It's quite fun having that enigma cloaking me but even when I say it open and loud 'I am a femme' it takes a mere two days on average before I'm back to being called a him or 'mate'. It does let me delve into the natural environment of the masculine lot though. :p

So I just couldn't careless now about the 'dragons are neuters' argument.

But outside of the game? Hell yeah dragons do have a discernable gender.

I can'nae think of anything witty to type right now... give me a while more.
    (I don't don't have Photoshop like you might do.)

Back to the OP, when you start the game, the very first person you talk to mentions that you are re-incarnated, or, resurrected....

Since you start out on Lv1, with no skills, no knowledge, no spells, no abilities, I assume this means that your memory was erased too when you died last...

This gave me the opportunity to assume my dragon came from another world/plane of existence/prime material. Something happened, he probably accidently stepped through a portal, or maybe he was in a fight with a powerful wizard and the wizard opened a portal and threw him in it, or something.... maybe after arriving in the world of Istaria, something killed him, and he was reborn as a hatchling, and that's when the game began.

With memories erased, he does not know who his parents were, nor does he remember anything about the world he came from.

--Dhalin

Actually, there have been many threads on this very point. We do have gender, but it is up to the actual avatar behind the Dragon to point out and clarify which one they are. Not determined by any other factors, such as color or language. A person's RP, determines which gender they have, so your backstory is totally up to you.
    "Sarcasm! Just one more of the FREE services I offer."

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    Back to the OP, when you start the game, the very first person you talk to mentions that you are re-incarnated, or, resurrected....

Since you start out on Lv1, with no skills, no knowledge, no spells, no abilities, I assume this means that your memory was erased too when you died last...
    Lord Ryson Stormbringer that person would be. Though, the fact that he relates to you his battle against the Withered Aegis, and Torrin Macalir specifically, suggests people do not forget what they were before becoming gifted. Ryson however seems a bit special, he did not receive his body back when turning gifted and now exists as a ghost... so he is not very representative of the gifted state.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

He knew he was gifted before going to that battle...or maybe not...I'll have to re read. But the reason he didn't get his body back is well.....that wasa BIG explosion and he was kinda at the worst of it. Also....nothing like Ryson is in the Dragon tutorial. -_- Anyway, the gifted are normal Istarians who died and found out that they had this special gift that prevented them from ever fully dying. They show up at the tutorials for training and more of an understanding of their nature after their first death.

Also, to the actual subject of this thread. Dragons do have gender. The devs have said it so it must be so. :)

Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

yes dragons do have a gender...

Also in response to the original question - every dragon I know who has a "creation" story, every dragon I know who has a mate, every dragon I know who has HAD eggs and hatchlings...

Speaks of it as the same process as other species who have a male and a female and have eggs - i.e. The way say birds do it :).

They mother incubates the eggs before she "lays" them. They are laid. The parents take care of the eggs until they hatch, and then they raise the hatchling.

So in your own story, you can have parents who cared for you - you can have memories of your mother from your egg state - you can have your parents killed before you hatch and hatch alone...etc.etc. However you wish to do it.

But in all the instances I've seen in game (at least a dozen hatchings from dragon pairs on Order), it follows the same biology that you would see in other egg laying creatures.

You do need a male and a female. And for all the stories I've read, the parents stick around and care for them :) (not like snakes).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia

you may have wings and scales then but if you claim you are nutreal then I can not consider you a dragon. sorry i would be lying if i said it was ok. dragons have gender, it is a given fact. if you have proof of other wise please dotell me were you got your refernce from and ill look into this but so far all the lore on dragons I have seen,est 45 dragon books,est 7games,est 9movies, and many websites. will all show dragons with a gender to them and website and books will even go into how mating and parenting of a dragons lifestyle

ps cant forget those two recent documentrys on dragons that were recently shown on animal planet and histry channel.
    Everytime where I see such reference as dragon being genderless, canibalist and such degrading book or reference usually come from the following:

* A tabloid author who want to make a name of itself by doing a stories making no sense that shock.
    * A religious thumper who consider dragon to be the source of all evil.
    * A biped who still believe the Earth is still the center of the universe, that human are the supreme race, and that no other species, and especially not dragon, can be superior to them.

So they got to degrad dragon in some way, by making them inferior phycally, or having them dying at the end. And I hate those like it isn't possible.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Love your expleniations dragonaide[Y] had me rolling of the chiar laighing.....but then scary thing is that is is so true

* A tabloid author who want to make a name of itself by doing a stories making no sense that shock.
    * A religious thumper who consider dragon to be the source of all evil.
    * A biped who still believe the Earth is still the center of the universe, that human are the supreme race, and that no other species, and especially not dragon, can be superior to them.

You can think as me in RP as a dragon that hunts down these false dragon. so they stop giving us dragons a bad name[:@]

Well, I dunno...

In AD&D, some of the Chromatic Dragons (those with colored scales) tend to... be a little less parenting towards their young... in fact if I remember right, Reds kick their young out as soon as they turn juvenile or something like that lol...

But that's a different gaming world altogether.

--Dhalin

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    Well, I dunno...

In AD&D, some of the Chromatic Dragons (those with colored scales) tend to... be a little less parenting towards their young... in fact if I remember right, Reds kick their young out as soon as they turn juvenile or something like that lol...

But that's a different gaming world altogether.

--Dhalin
    Using D&D to describe Dragons is like using Star Trek to describe Physic :)
    When I see them telling a dragon is good or bad only by their scale color, I can't think anything by 'racism'. Black is evil, yellow is good, red is evil....
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Dragons in any outside lore, story, game, etc are irrelevant. All that matters is Horizons Lore.

The dev's and lore say dragons have genders, so they have genders, whether it be male, female or neuter. That's up to the dragon.

Personally I only call em genderless just to tweak their tails as a joke [:P] (Dragons tails are easy to tweaked)
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Thanks for the great responses everybody. Sorry to start a bit of an argument, certainly didn't mean to do that.

I'm just trying to stay within the game mechanics of Horizons for my story. Just wanted to make sure I have everything right. :)

Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Thread Information