Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famed Fantasy Author Joins the Quest in MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria

Manga

Default Famed Fantasy Author Joins the Quest in MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria

[img]../images/temp/drago.gif[/img]

Famed Fantasy Author Joins the Quest in MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria

Peter S. Beagle to Develop Quests and Backstory for Fantasy Game

November 11, 2005 -- Today is a landmark day in the land of Istaria, as Peter S. Beagle, famed author of the classic fantasy novel "The Last Unicorn," has signed on to provide story support for the MMORPG - Horizons: Empire of Istaria. Throughout the coming months, Beagle will be writing quests for Horizons, along with enriching the overall backstory of the game and taking part in various in-game events.

Peter S. Beagle is best known for his work in fantasy, which includes the novels "A Fine and Private Place" and "The Last Unicorn," along with being credited as the screenwriter for the 1978 animated version of "The Lord of the Rings." His most popular work, "The Last Unicorn," has been in print since 1968, and is considered a fantasy classic among fans of the genre. Not limiting himself to fantasy, Peter S. Beagle is also the writer of "Sarek," one of the more popular episodes from the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" television series.

Developed by Tulga Games, the MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria enables players to create characters from any of 11 fantasy races including Dragons, Satyrs, Dryads, Humans and Elves while developing skills from 50 schools. Horizons' world is near-limitless in scope; as dragons soar above and below one another in the skies and players embark upon adventures spanning land, sea and air while working collectively to build a variety of surface and subterranean structures. The game's family-friendly nature allows for cooperative gameplay, and players with limited time can enjoy brief solo adventures without suffering any penalty. More information about Horizons: Empire of Istaria is available at http://www.istaria.com.

Default Re: Famed Fantasy Author Joins the Quest in MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria

I think things might just get interesting for ole HZ. ;)

Not that those who've done quest/backstory work before didn't do a nice job of course. :D

Default Re: Famed Fantasy Author Joins the Quest in MMORPG Horizons: Empire of Istaria

Woohoo! Last Unicorn is one of my favourite books/movies! (Can't wait until the real movie is made) Very glad to hear he has joined forces with one of my favourite games as well. [Y]

Very good news indeed!!!!!!

[Y][Y][Y][B][B][B][B][;)][;)][;)][;)][Y][Y][Y][Y]

Manga

/hugs Snowdonia Honeythorn

I see by my outfit that I am a Crafter... hurrah, this is some serious star power talent coming in. Excellent news.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aislin, Sans AoP by Aiya's pad
    100 Blacksmith/100 Fitter/45 Mason/45 Carpenter/14 Weaver/13 Enchanter
    100 Reaver/66 Ice Disciple

Telpeloci

Ooh...this should make things a bit more interesting. And will probably bring in some new subscriptions as well. Good news indeed!

Drat!!

I guessed that he's be writing Horizons novels, not quests. [:'(]

Oh, well.

Great news! I look forward to seeing what he has to throw at us. [;)]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

That's what I'm here for Manga! ;)

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    Drat!!

I guessed that he's be writing Horizons novels, not quests. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]

Oh, well.

Great news! I look forward to seeing what he has to throw at us. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    Who says that eventually he can't write novels? [8-|]

Besides, every informal poll ever taken in this forum says people want lore....

[:O][:O]
    What an awesome announcement. and Mr Beagle wrote the Sarek episode? learn something new every day.

Welcome!
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Sounds very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    OK, something nobody has brought up before...

Since Ophelea posted a link to an interview with Peter S. Beagle, who will be attending GenCon SoCal but is not listed as one of the Guests of Honor andhas never (as far as I've been able to find out) done a gaming product before,I'll guess.... A series of Horizons-based novels with Peter S. Beagle writing at least the first one. Hopefully, cover art by Elmore.

[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    I did note that, Laughingotter

Nice try though - no one else was even close

truely awesome, is this what was to be announced at that gencon thingy?

Veeeery interesting. [:D] Looking forwards to seeing his handiwork in game.

I've heard the Last Unicorn mentioned a time or two, but the author's name carries no particular recognition to me. Just curious how his literature compares to some of my favorites like Tolkien (LotR), Cook (The Black Company), Martin (Song of Ice and Fire), Moorcöck (Elric etc) and Erikson (Tale of Malazan Book of the Fallen)?

edit: Profanity filter obstructed Moorcock, so I rewrote his name to Moorc0ck.
    edit2: LOL, no escaping the filter I see. Perhaps I can get past with umlaut o, that is ö.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

<bows low>

Well, that sounds like grand news. Who knows, I may be tempted to return yet! [:D]

Horizons has long needed good back-story/lore. Although there always has been some good Lore it was scattered and disjointed. Now with somebody on board whose sole purpose is to add the storyline and embellishments it will enrich the gaming experiance within Horizons immensely. After all, I am a Lore junkie! [;)]

I tip my hat to the devs on this one and I will be watching! Good luck!
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by oluviel
    truely awesome, is this what was to be announced at that gencon thingy?
    Yes, now you can go and meet him if you can arrange it.

That are great news. I would like to welcome Mr. Beagle in the Horizons team and hope he will have a good time!:-)
    Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Whenever an Optimist sees a ligth which isnt really there, there allways is an pesimist who blows it out.
    Giovanni Guareschi

!!!!!!!!!!! Good Catch!
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Varangaard
    I've heard the Last Unicorn mentioned a time or two, but the author's name carries no particular recognition to me. Just curious how his literature compares to some of my favorites like Tolkien (LotR), Cook (The Black Company), Martin (Song of Ice and Fire), Moorcöck (Elric etc) and Erikson (Tale of Malazan Book of the Fallen)?
    His writing is lyrically beautiful and thought provoking. I'd say he's better than the four you mention. That, of course, is a matter of personal taste. Still, he's no literary slouch, and his ideas are original and fresh.

-Levity Merrel

[Y]

I love the last unicorn, this is great news!
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Thread Information