Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Level the Playing Field

stormbringer

Default Re: Level the Playing Field

This is the most insane suggestion I've heard in regards to the game, and I've heard a few. I spent way to much time getting to where I'm at to have it all reset. Heres a suggestion, delete all of your toons and then go out and sympathize with the new players about how rough it is. I lived through all of the Dragon problems and usually didn't find out about a power leveling exploit til Devs ended it. I actually went and manually lvl'd up and aquired hoard. If you're looking for someone to agree with you I think you're looking in the wrong spot

Corah

I've been here less than most of the people I am friends or chat with (just passed 6 months)so I see alot of what veterans items, forms, spells ,cash etc. I understand that's just part of being a veteran and it is a MMO and you pay to play so why take their lvls thats just to extreme for any game. I played NWN for years and watch servers die within a week after that stunt was pulled, and that's FREE to play.

In the time I've played I've seen alot of changes and I disagree with alot of them but I deal with it because most of the time their reasoning is sound at least on some lvl. The anti-powerlvling patch had some good effects but killed alot of group play for those that wanted to take the time and lvl it stuck us with mostly solo play. But I was also just sick of seeing a dragon that hasn't even hit past the 2 week trial lvl 50+ and adult just because they kiss the right butt. they all have thier good and bad points.

The problem I see is that "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" and most of the people I read complaints about are just worried about how it affects them personally and screw everyone else. Everyone has the right to their own opinion but come on! I have played many games over theyears and every game has their whiners thebigger thegame the more their are. I think the Devsdo well and looking past these people.

This is the 1st game I've played that hasn'tspent most of it's time worrying about thosecomplaints and hasout some real time puttingthings into the game rather than "ok here's this weeks nerf/gimp" I hear so many complaints about the PB change but it makes sense. I can still remember the day I wasn't even 80 in my 1st class and I spent weeks working on getting cash for a guildies plot via hunting. I was doing better than I ever had on earning coin and was averaging a little over 200s a day. I had someone come on when I was telling someone that and they laughed at me and said "bah I can earn 2 times that in an hour" but yet they didn't offer any help towards the plot. I'd like to see that person now that it's more balanced for hunters, I have a few colorful things to say [6]

Everyone is so focused on this PB "nerf" that they don't appreciate all the new crystals, the increased spawn and drop rate and the reduction in lag. The only thing that this has hindered is that these people that are used to making a gold a day are now trying to charge 50 silver for crystals and componentsthat aren't worth 1/2 that to try to keep their same income. Just now we can do something about it by not buying it.

I'm long winded when I get going so I apologize for the length but seriously people get over it. Next thing we'll hear is some dragon players complaining about not enough choices in lair rooms or something but won't thank the Devs for actually having that lair. If players like this leave it just makes the community better for those who appreciate what is being given to us with this game.

Thank you Tulga for taking the game over and making it a better place, I can't think of a better place to spend my gaming funds than this. The benefits are definatly worth the changes you've made that are getting these complaints.

*steps off of his soapbox*

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I'll I've got so say is

"Game Experience May Change During Online Play."

Now we can (and do)debate those changeshere in the forums till the cows come home. We can lobby for changes we want to happen, and suggest new changes. But the one change a MMORPG (well one that wants to continue running) will never make is a wipe of live characters. Everybody isn't going to like every changes, but you can't make changes that cost you a majority of your subscriptions when you're running on a shoestring as is.
    Except when you have a MMORPG run by SOE like SWG, with that inmind I doubt ANY developer of MMORPG's will be so stupid to ignore wishes from the player base, let alone erase ALL their hard earned lvls...
    And if something like this was to happen to Hz, many veterans will leave and to continiue a game with only a fraction of the old playerbase is not possible...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I think we can agree that a reboot is not the best idea.

Let's turn the equation on its head and ask what happens if everyone is suddenly increased (if necessary) to the same power level.

Does this make the game any better?

I doubt it.

I know its not feasible with the hz population, but in games like WoW people often jump on a new server because everyone starts from square one.

Rather than a server wipe, when hz population is strong enough, a new server could be opened to give players a chance at a level playing field. It would also give those who missed unlocking the races and all other major server events a go at things.
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Kitimandiri
    I know its not feasible with the hz population, but in games like WoW people often jump on a new server because everyone starts from square one.

Rather than a server wipe, when hz population is strong enough, a new server could be opened to give players a chance at a level playing field. It would also give those who missed unlocking the races and all other major server events a go at things.
    I haden't even thought of that.... I'd definatly like another go at freeing the satyrs. Or Dryads. The Satyr event was hilariously fun. As a level 12 Cleric at the time, all I could do was rez = P
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Most posters allready pointed out how wrong Tarren was in saying we vets had it easy so I wont go into that.
    Just wanted to add that, if memory serves me correctly, Fireworks did not become a viable exploitable hoarding method until after the hoard leak was taken out.

Tarren, you say as long as you played you just saw dragon love every patch.
    now the time before that (i.e the first year, year and a half) was filled with dragon nerfs and biped love.
    Dragons didnt start getting love until recently.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

That can't work in Hz though. The way the servers are updated, they must all be at same code levels.

Anyone who doesn't remember freeing Feledan, we had a plauge released (part of the event) once the city was built. Since that became known to all servers, one Rude server decided NOT to complete the rebuilding of Feledan. That caused the event not to progress for ALL THE OTHER SERVERS, we got stuck with the plague even longer than we should have, feledan stayed blighted. for weeks or longer (I do not recall how long it was like that)

If you want to start fresh make a new character.

If you want everyone to start fresh wait for Horizons 2.

There's ALWAYS going to be someone at a higher level than you, richer than you, with a better weapon or better armor or better spells. Thats life. I think the whole "that guy is rich because he used PB explot" is a load of crap. I believe this was OP's reason that we needed a wipe? PB's worked as intended, people put work in got money out. Anyone could do it that wanted to put in the effort of leveling up a craft to a high level and then grinding. More power to them. The lore behind the PB is that the Empire removes items from them for use supplying the general populace. They bought things from players cheap enough as it was. Granted it makes sense not to buy 500 mithril hammers at once. but the whole "they exploted" crying is a load of crap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You'll never be able to please all the people all the time. Such is life.

All theories, notions, etc regarding common sense are void in respect to SOE. (Exception that proves the rule [:P])
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by Kitimandiri

So far this is the most rational comment in this thread..... Ollie has a very good point... and dont say its because im jealous of people over me cause i could outcraft most here.... over 1500 craft levels to prove that

Ollie as well is an insane crafter like myself so he its not like he wouldnt suffer too.... his point is that in the very near future... when cross class skills are nerfed for exp you will have two classes of people... those that massed the exp before the nerf and have ungodly levels in everything and those that can only do one or two classes at most because it is actual work to level them...

In that respect you will have the "uber" crafters now on a pedestal controlling most things where the new will be left behind only drooling at the concept of a few hi level crafts...

Although i would die at a server wipe i do seethis as a potential problem.

I think Kits idea of another fresh new server is an outstanding one... we had at least 7 premerge although that area is foggy now....

Give new players a level playing field and also for those wanting a fresh new start.

Not to mention a viable economy not ransacked by prenerf hoards of cash and exploits....
    I would consider a new home fresh with opportunity... although dont do it until the cross skill nerf is in effect.... otherwise youd just have another mirror of Order

another thing i just thought of....

What about a new shard with a copy out option....

If someone makes a toon on the new shard... totally flat playing field for all and then someday decides they wanna join the population of Chaos or Order then allow them to permenantly copy out.... a one way copy of course... no copies to the new shard...

This way instead of investing a permenant life in a new place people could "try" out the idea and if its unsatifactory later or the idea bombs at least they wont be stuck.

And dont try and tell me youll have the same thing on a new shard cause with the Main skill nerf or whatever you wanna call it... you simply wont.... its not physically possible to craft to level 100 in everything using exp from only the one main skill...... at least not inside a few years time

That is the most _______ _______ idea I ever heard!!!

Sorry this is a living breathing place. we evolve into our characters and such, just like the real world we have changes and such. I wasn't here at the beginning, so I guess I should be crying that its harder for me then the older players, NOT!!!

Something maybe harder I agree, but there are other things that make it easier too.

I am not even gonna argue this ridiculous idea

Jayne

[:#] [:O]Let's just not even take one step in that direction! [+o(]

I don't mean to put you down or anything, but I am real slow at leveling (a year to reach 24[8-)] ) and I don't want to loose that!
    Istaria shall soon become overwellmed by the Undead hordes! Phinius

Since the devs are not stupid enough to ever try this, it becomes almost pointless to comment, except to say that for someone to suggest that they think that this is in the best interests of the game is almost the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

That would be the fastest way to kill that game that I can think of, short of dropping a bomb on wherever the servers are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    We loyal vets also suffered through much worse client performance,
    intolerable combat lag, far more broken quests, etc...etc... and yet
    supported Horizons through its worst growing pains. Let's not forget
    that side of the equation.

your pal,

Helcat
    In the name of all that is Helcat, I CONCUR.
    Can't say it any better than that.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos
    3things...

It is indeed what is best for the game.
    What happens when 80% of the population quits?
    Who pays to keep the lights on?
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarran of Chaos

The land of Istaria for you was a picnic dude. You could level from 1 to 100 in a week on your first class.

Were you in game pre merge?

Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!

safaia

Congratulations, you have won the lottery, you are the happy owner of 10 milion$ now.
    Unfortunately your bank account is reset to 0$ because winning a lottery is unfair to all the others...

One thing that fascinates me on Horizons is that things that have been taken out of the game for one reason or another still exist. It's a bonus for those who have played HZ longer than others.
    I still have a one hand slash weapon that really looks cool.It is from a quest that is terminated for a long time now. No new player can get it today.
    If you think this is not fair, that is your opinion.
    Dragons are happy that they don't suffer the hoard leak any longer and have lairs now. I don't see any reason to punish them by reseting them to level 1 again.

Everybody starts a game like HZ under the current conditions, not under future or past conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    That can't work in Hz though. The way the servers are updated, they must all be at same code levels.

Anyone who doesn't remember freeing Feledan, we had a plauge released (part of the event) once the city was built. Since that became known to all servers, one Rude server decided NOT to complete the rebuilding of Feledan. That caused the event not to progress for ALL THE OTHER SERVERS, we got stuck with the plague even longer than we should have, feledan stayed blighted. for weeks or longer (I do not recall how long it was like that)

If you want to start fresh make a new character.

If you want everyone to start fresh wait for Horizons 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You'll never be able to please all the people all the time. Such is life.
    You make a good point. It would be difficult to update the software for a new server, updated differently from the rest. I think though, that major things like lairs, land layouts, abilities, general fixes/changes should stay the same. It's only the major events I'm interested in. Freeing the Satyrs, Dryads. Of course, I don't fully expect this to happen. It's more of a 'wouldent it be nice' type thing.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Loacalea

As the game go further it becomeing alot easier for begginer to lvl in the world.
    Only thing thats was easier for the one that play at the beggining is we have a few at are lvl to explor and craft with.
    It was muder for us befor merger to craft T4 and now it a simple thing.
    It still hard for us expert players to get T6 supply but that will become easier also.
    So for us that play for so long it still very hard.
    So resting would be tottaly unfair for us.
    If the new players want to be part of the top players they have very little to compet against on difficulty and if they really want an easy way then they should just focus on great suggestion for the game.

Horizans 2 thats where we may start in a new world all back to lvl 1.
    Befor then we have to fx things here first so we can be asure the 2nd ediotion if t come would be great.

Thread Information