Thread: Dodge, Parry and Block

Default Dodge, Parry and Block

Dodge, not the car, but the ability to avoid an attack. What stat is it tied to? How does one improve one's Dodge ability? How does one determine how much Dodge ability one has? How ina hell can something Dodge when rooted? How ina hell can something Dodge an AoE, especially when it was the friggin target?

Parry, using one's weapon to block an attack. What stat is it tied to? Beyond the tech, how does one improve one's Parry ability? How does one determoine how much Parry abilty one has?

Block, using a shield to block an attack. What stat is it tied to? Do smaller and more manuverable shields block better? If not, shouldn't they? Beyond the tech and the Spearman Block Bonus, how does one improve one's Block ability? How does one determine how much Block ability one has?

How much of any of the above is enough?

Enquiring minds want to know and The National Liars Magazine ain't got crap on the subject...
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Default Re: Dodge, Parry and Block

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinn
    Dodge, not the car, but the ability to avoid an attack. What stat is it tied to? How does one improve one's Dodge ability? How does one determine how much Dodge ability one has? How ina hell can something Dodge when rooted? How ina hell can something Dodge an AoE, especially when it was the friggin target?
    When you have Dodge ability, server performs Evasion skill vs. Attack Skill contest. If the contest succeeds, you have a base 20% chance to dodge incoming attack. Various effects that give "+X to dodge" (monk higher level abilities??) add to this base evasion chance. If root spell's effect when it lands on you states "reduces evasion to 0" (not sure if it does) then it effectively makes dodging impossible.

Parry, using one's weapon to block an attack. What stat is it tied to? Beyond the tech, how does one improve one's Parry ability? How does one determoine how much Parry abilty one has?
    When you have Parry ability, server performs Weapon skill vs. Attack skill contest. If the contest succeeds, you have a base 20% chance to parry incoming attack. Various effects that give "+X to parry" (shimmer field, parry tech) add to this base parry chance.

Block, using a shield to block an attack. What stat is it tied to? Do smaller and more manuverable shields block better? If not, shouldn't they? Beyond the tech and the Spearman Block Bonus, how does one improve one's Block ability? How does one determine how much Block ability one has?
    When you have Block ability, server performs Shield skill vs. Attack skill contest. If the contest succeeds, you have a base 20% chance to block incoming attack. Various effects that give "+X to block" (employ shield, shields themselves) add to this base block chance. You'll notice that smaller shields have smaller block bonus, so they are able to block less.

How much is enough? If you can raise your skill in dodge, weapon or shield terribly high, and have a collection of block or parry or dodge boosts that add up to 100% -including the base 20% chance - you'll be pretty ******** good at it.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Excellent and detailed explanation. Saving it to a desktop folder. Many thanks :)
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

I forgot to add in one thing. In addition to, and even without having dodge, parry and block abilities, you get a 'normal' evasion versus attack skill contest against incoming attacks. Thus you can potentially have four chances to avoid damage; normal evade, dodge, parry and block. While normal evade check is made against all incoming attacks, the dodge, parry and block contests are only against the enemy you are actively engaged with (you are attacking it).

edit: I just realized spellcasters and healers should take special note of that last point. If you are attacking a mob further out (or just standing around casting heals), and a mob comes and attacks you, there will be no dodges, no parries and no blocks against that mob until you make it your active target - attack it with spells or melee. Also, turn off the auto-attack function. Most of the time, when mobs use their specials they also move a bit, pulling you around if you are on auto attack and interrupt any spell you might be casting.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

My one issue about what was said above, which is essentially true, is if the +XX to dodge/parry/block really just adds to the avoidance skill. It SEEMS to me that adding to the Dodge/Parry/Block itself seems to be more effective than just adding to the skill check. For example, Flow Like Water (the ONLY monk/disciple ability that gives us any better of a chance at dodging) is only a modest boost to dodge, but seems to make a lot more difference than say, evasive style IV, which provides +130 or something evasion. When I Flow Like Water (Also called, Peeing myself) I become neigh unhittable, while with Evasive style, I only become marginally so.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

I didn't think dodge/parry/block worked anymore..
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by pogowolf
    I didn't think dodge/parry/block worked anymore..
    Heya Pogowolf, haven't seen you around these parts for a long time.

You still playing ? I'm guessing you've not resubbed, haven't seen you in-game for months plus I figure you'd know that block, dodge and parry all work fine as they have done for the last couple of years.

Hope to see you back in-game soon, can only be a matter of time if you're lurking on the forums and dropping in the occasional post [;)] Did hear from Rasp that you were back about a month ago, but never saw you.

Rasp still playing btw ?

Pariah

One of my toons currently has a shield with +50 block (the shields normal +10 and a blighted bonus of +40 Block)and whenyou use Employ Shield (+20 to block) my block is +70 .Currently shields can only be teched with Block V(+16 to block )and the shields normal +10 making a total of +26 Blocking then add +20 with the ability for a grand total of +46 to block.
    I have survived 2 Reklar fights in a row without my common 2-3 DPs .Since I started using it he has hit me ,but the usual 3 hit GR has land only2 out of the 3 hits,its nice to survive some hits like that more and more often ,its even nicer to have a shield that has more blocking then most people have using a shield and the ability.I'm tempted to buy some block rings that are still floating around Istaria, but the current pricing has been a bit steep 3 gold per ring ... thinkI' ll stick with +50 to block all the time and keep my +150 heath ring.
    STATS on my:
    Blighted Fine Large Shield
    Block +10
    Block +40
    97% speed
    -10 Focus
    I can unequip the shield if i want to run around from fight to fight and the -10 focus is worth the trade off for the additional blocking......hmmmm i think ive got a weapon with +40 to parry somewhere maybe Ill have to dig it out...Its 1HS though,think I can use it in ranger school[Y]
    The newer Blighted Weapons and Armor and Scales are much improved, look carefully and you may find that they are some of the best in the game

Hey Tzael! Well, Rasp and myself ARE back in game. Me in the mornings at the moment, and her mostly at night. (one computer.. so we must trade off..hehe)

We did leave for a long while, and resubbed a few weeks ago. =)
    Though I don't Play as 'PogoWolf' I killed that ALT. Might make another
    one.. but not Until I've got Mag to the point that I want him..hehe
    AKA Maguai, PogoWolf (Chaos)
    www.PogoWolf.com / www.GamersVue.com
    [/RIGHT]

resurrectin an old topic because its still good today
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Thread Information