Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love the new client update!

Default I love the new client update!

It seems whatever Tulga did with the client is now giving me anywhere from 80-100FPS at all times. I have the highest settings on too and still getting those FPS. Keep up the good work.

Default Re: I love the new client update!

:o Looks like there's some major improvement on this one :o
    I hope we'll get it soon on Unity :)

I must say I'm impressed so far. I was only on a short time last night but I ported and recalled a few times and texmem never exceeded 11 and FPS was at least 30 in areas it would normally drop to the low teens in. Will do an extended test this weekend.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I was thouroughly impressed, I still lagged a bit, but I ported into Harro to help some dragons with an ROP and ran right through the city without going below 1 frame per second (which I always do) so they did something good

More testing to be done for sure, my hated spot in all of Dereth is Dalimond and Augendell so I will try those areas tonight.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

...they haven't just decreased the viewdistances again..?

now that you said that it could be. I couldn't raise my view distance when I tried last night.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I could raise mine just fine; set it to 50%. At that level things seemed a little better, and the client seemed to not hiccup so much when I got close to other players. Could be my imagination, of course, and I could not test further as my DSL connection rolled-over and died.

[W]
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Quote Originally Posted by DLMyth
    It seems whatever Tulga did with the client is now giving me anywhere from 80-100FPS at all times. I have the highest settings on too and still getting those FPS. Keep up the good work.
    Is this client live? or on Blight?

I still can't believe its possible to get 80-100 fps at all times. I get 60 fps on login in the countryside and 8 fps over towns. This at only moderate detail and maybe 40% view distance and my system is pretty decent (Pentium IV 3.2 ghz, 2 gb pc3200 ram, geforce 6800gt). If I crank all graphics options up to max and fly over Tazoon I get maybe 1 frame every 3 seconds. How can you possible maintain 80-100 fps under those conditions??? I don't believe thats possible without an engine and file management rewrite, and the addition of low-detail buildings without interiors for viewing at a distance.

*doesn't believe you*

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

I'm guessing you guys getting the high framerates aren't running
    nVidia cards then... I see no improvement whatsoever [:(]
    Got Cowbell?

I also see no improvement at all. Game runs just as slowly as ever with no noticeable difference.

Actually what they did was change the lagwindow so that it now reports larger numbers than before. [6]

Seriously though. I'm seeing improvements on my laptop. Porting is taking just as long but my framerates are staying in the 10-15 range depending on where I am and previously it would be in the 6-10 range. I'm running an ATI Radeon mobility 9600 for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMyth
    ...80-100FPS at all times. I have the highest settings on too ...
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me what you are playing on??? Are you at NASA or something?

I have noticed a higher frame rate, and like Lyc, I am running AMD Athlon 64 ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (eMachines m6811 laptop to be precise.)

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm running an nVidia Geforce 6600 and I saw an average improvement of 3-5 fps with the patch, though that number does start to decrease after I make several ports. 3.0GHz pentium 4, 1 gig of ram, 256mb video card. I have medium-high graphics settings... the only thing I have below halfway is view distance, which is about 1/3. Now I get high teens fps in towns, and anywhere from high 20s to 50 out in the wilderness, which before the patch was low teens in towns and 20-30 elsewhere. So it works just fine for me!
    kitty: 48 Mage 22 Healer + others
    80 MIN 65 GTH 69 TNK 70 MSN 55 SPL
    41 BLK 41 SCH 47 CRP 38 JWL + others
    dragon: 91 adv, 100 craft, 22 lair
    elf: 49 ELAR, 31 Healer, 51 Fitter + others

Some of the settings seem to have been reset; characters to load were all minimum, terrain LOD switch distance was minimum, as was view distance. Resetting to reasonable values, view distance perhaps 35%, there was still an improvement. In Aughundell, after several ports, 12-15ish, same in Dali; more importantly, without stuttering. Also combat queue seemed smoother and more responsive. So perhaps 2-5 fps improvement. Big battle will be interesting....

However, goofing off on the Battlefield, plinking tier IV's, I noticed that hits on me almost never logged.

2.4GHz Pentium, 1G memory, BFG 6600GT.
    Edit: Point taken. 1280 X 960, no AF, Nvidia's 2Q AA. Norton AV usually left on.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by LexDivinia
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]DLMyth wrote: ...80-100FPS at all times. I have the highest settings on too ...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me what you are playing on??? Are you at NASA or something?

I have noticed a higher frame rate, and like Lyc, I am running AMD Athlon 64 ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (eMachines m6811 laptop to be precise.)
    hehe.....I'm running an Intel 2.8E with a gig of ram. A Nvidia TI4600 w/128meg display 1280x1024 AA2 on a wireless internet service and averaging 60-70 fps. Auggie drops me to 30-40 fps with a few people there.

I did crank a few of the performance settings in options up. Just don't remember what *G*

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

There is a small improvement, but nothing huge like whats been said. However there is still a massive memory leak which hasn't gone away, making playing more of an annoyance than fun.

I just love it when people post their FPS and classify their rig, but they never speak of

- screen resolution
    - Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filterin

Maybe 1024x768 w/O AA+AF can give a decent Framerate

I play at 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 4XAF and I think this different. Looking forward to the client on Unity, tho.
    -- || knoccest of the tailors. period.

I did a little more testing last night, ported, went to a racial city, recalled to Acul, ported back to the same (or different) racial city (mostly Dalimond and Augendell)

Dalimond Before: I would leave the pad, and just as I get to guard "Heather" I begin getting complete screen freezes, less than 1 frame a second (seconds per frame) and it felt like I was a shoe being dryed in a drier being bounced around, until the "textures" "world models" and "NPCs" were loaded, then it was 3fps

Dalimod After: Now when I run down into Dalimond, I go right past Heather, no sweat. Run through the archway entrance, and I notice little 1/2 second pauses (which if you are turning while running, you could end up facing the wrong way) but it was about 15 frames per second as I entered Dalimond with little annoying pauses every 3 seconds to update textures. Every time there is a pause, something is rendered.

So I tested this theory 5 times... because for some reason my wife's machine (nvidia card) can run into Dalimond, get the same "downloading textures etc." but when she revisits the town, it doesn't do it again, unlike my machine that it feels that it has to download all the textures and buildings again. But 5 consecutive ports back to Dalimond and Augendell proved that there wasn't a downloading problem, and that even with the view distance set at maximum, I still got 15fps in cities.

One thing I did notice. In Augendell, you usually see all of the resources in the underground cave of machines show up while it's porting you in as the ground renders. Now, the ground nearest you renders first so you never see the rendering of the caverns... My ports to Augendell allowed me to run off the pad in seconds after porting there, instead of waiting 2 minutes for it to draw "everything"

Hats off to the little changes, it's not great, but it's a quality of life fixer for some of us ATI using customers.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Tried running the game again after deleting most of my prefs folder except my UI setup and deleting graphics pref. Upon logging in the only changes I made were to increase the view distance out from the default around 20% to 50%. I run the game in 1280x1024.

Now the game runs considerably faster than before. At 50% view distance, I'm getting 45 fps out in the countryside and 15 fps in Tazoon after 1 port. Framerate still drops to 8-10 in Aughundell though. Nowhere near the 80-100 fps some are reporting, but still better than before. I think the improvement was due to my changing graphics options though and not anything done by the patch.

One question: In changing my view settings I lost the cool water effect with the moving waves. I'd like to get that effect back but leave my other graphics options the same. Does anyone know what configuration setting or option I need to change to get the cool looking water back?

Fridlekh

By default the graphics quality will be best performance/best performance if you delete your graphic def and it generates a new one. best performance forces use of the simplest shader available, which in the case of water looks like poo. [personal opinion, ma not reflect opinion of Tulga Games or it's paid employees {but probably does}]

If all you want to change is the water effect and not increase any of the other performance type settings, use: /setpref useLowestLevelShaderfalse (will also affect most golems, some spiders, and several other newer MOBs)

Thread Information