Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abnormal shutdown of Horizons client

Default Abnormal shutdown of Horizons client

Some point yesterday afternoon I updated my Horizons client, played for half an hour, and was then distracted by RL until late at night when I got a bit of free time to go play in the land of Istaria. For some unknown reason, I got a weird shutdown error when I logged out at the end of the night. Curious, I logged back in, then logged off again to see if it was reproducable. Snapped a screengrab of the error (wasn't one of those nice ones which allow me to copy the text - though is any error message nice ?) and called it a night, vowing to explore the problem when I got a chance today.

Completely forgot about the abnormal shutdowns from the night before thanks to RL being particularly chaotic this Saturday, so when I got a spare half hour to play it took a few moments for me to realise that there was (or maybe I should say that there wasn't) something wrong when I logged out. A dim light came on in the back of my head and I remembered the error message from the night before. Fired the Horizons client up a few times, logged out with absolutely no problems each time.

Basically I had a bug but it's scuttled off somewhere to remain hidden, ready to catch me unaware at a future date. I do have some memorabilia though in the form of a beautifully preserved screengrab of the error message, so in the interest of fairness and sharing, I proudly present my disappearing Horizons error !

http://www.blue-technologies.org/blu...s/abnormsd.jpg

Default Re: Abnormal shutdown of Horizons client

Happen to have debug logs enabled? Or any other logs other than chat, ptstats.xml?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Unfortunately didn't have them enabled when this error cropped up last night, I intended to sort those out for yourselves today but the problem hasn't occured. Kinda hoping it happens again so I can provide relevant log files.

I had the error a few times as well, and after I turned off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for horizons.exe I have yet to get that error again. May not be the solution, but thus far it has "fixed" it for me.

Control Panel > System > Advaced Tab > Performance Settings Button > DEP tab
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Goodtip, so I checked into it and DEP is still at the default of only being enabled for Windows programs and services only on all the XP systems here. I'd rather not have it interfering with third-party apps so I won't enable it for all programs barring the exclusion list. Was worth checking just in case

What makes things particularly odd is the fact that the main computer I play Horizons on hasn't been rebooted in a few days and hasn't had anything except virus and spyware definitions updated in that time (most recent updates to anything else were the WinXP and MS Outlook patches released 9th Jan). Certainly hadn't been rebooted between me going to sleep the night before, and coming back the next day when I got a spare moment to play. I keep wondering what has changed with my computer to cause the error to appear one day and not the next - at least the reassurance that others are seeing this too means I can stop worrying about the gaming computer glitching out on me [:)]

I have gotten the same error message 2 or 3 times in last few days too.
    ~Robins

(100)Warrior/(100)Ranger/(100)Spearman/(89)Crossbowman/(20)Scout/(20)Cleric/(15)Druid/(10)Monk

(100)Mason/(100)Fitter/(100)Enchanter/(100)Weaver/(100)Carpenter

(100)Tailor/(84)Jeweler/(84)Fletcher/(46)Alchemist/(80)Tinkerer/(30)Confectioner/(75)Armorer/(71)Weaponsmith

Snibor (Adult Dragon) (42)Adv/(100)Craft/(100)Lair

Had the same today.
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

oneirosuchus

I've gotten it several times, also, though I forget to note whether I get it every time. I'm pretty sure that yesterday, I got it the first time I logged out, but not when I logged out again later after having switched toons.

Anyone able to get any logs of this happening? Or even have the exact error message? Also, if anyone notices any Horizons exe's still running after they're supposed to be shut down (i.e. still in Task Manager as a running process, even after they should have been closed/stopped) that would useful info too.

Thanks everyone. Let's keep our eyes peeled and get this taken care of.

"I will take my brush from the warpaint,
    My foot from the warpath
    When you understand
    It is sadness that drives the wrath..."
    Buffalo
    Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Nothing special in debug logs after the shutdownerror.

STAT dprintf [[01/16/06 20:23:07] ] 22.88 FPS
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_detail_cracks_reg_reg.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_mud_cracked_hard.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_grass_scrub_light.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_undead_cliffface_gray.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_vocano_roadway.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_volcano_lava_red.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_rock_flag_round_yellow.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resource terrain_testarea_reg_reg_reg.agh...
    DEBUG TResourceManager::Shutdown Deleting resources finished.
    DEBUG TClient::~TClient Delete DefCache
    DEBUG TClient::~TClient Delete Dispatcher
    DEBUG TClient::~TClient Delete FileMGR
    DEBUG TClient::~TClient Delete VisibilityMGR

and an error from c++ runtime about read memory
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

Ok. I had this error happen again today and got the logs. Sent them in to support. Hope this helps.
    ~Robins

(100)Warrior/(100)Ranger/(100)Spearman/(89)Crossbowman/(20)Scout/(20)Cleric/(15)Druid/(10)Monk

(100)Mason/(100)Fitter/(100)Enchanter/(100)Weaver/(100)Carpenter

(100)Tailor/(84)Jeweler/(84)Fletcher/(46)Alchemist/(80)Tinkerer/(30)Confectioner/(75)Armorer/(71)Weaponsmith

Snibor (Adult Dragon) (42)Adv/(100)Craft/(100)Lair

Had this error too, several times now. Surely has to do with new client, as it never happened be4. Will not send any logs to support though - as it will have no use on unity... [:S]

---------------------------

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: ...ogram Files\Artifact Entertainment\Horizons\horizons.exe

abnormal program termination

OK

The above message is a popup that pops in front of the HZ Splash screen after exiting the game from the in gamemenu option. In the lower boarder of the splashfor this instance it's saying"final clean up"

Before when I've received that same error message therewere various clean upoperations executingat the time of the error. This one skipped any mention of them except for the last one. So far it hasn't been consistant when it happens from what I've seen. Although it does seem to happen much sooner in the shutting down events each timenow that I've been actually paying attention to it.

The messages I'venoted arethe GUIclean upor the Entity Manager, and the clearing of the cache message.

Horizon.exe was present in processes until I clicked on OK at which point it terminated.

Good day

I get the error msg practically every time I log off Horizons.
    The only good thing is - the game unloads quicker this way than the normal way :)

Decon out

I have this error almost every time I shut down the game. A question - you are also Using XP I'm guessing from your screengrab - what version?
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

I've gotten this error message too, so it is not anything XP-specific; I run W2K.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Win2000 pro here as well. Although this bug only seems to happen after having the game on for an extremely long time. If I'm logging in for 15 minutes, I won't get it. However after 4 or 5 hours of play time it always comes up.

-Menkure

long duration ofbeing connectedhere aswell also, I should have noted earlier that I run in window mode and not full screen.

no fair, gimme my bug back ! since I posted this topic the problem hasn't happened at all which is kinda annoying because I don't want to disable debug logging until it happens again...

Just realised this still said Ice....oopsie

I just got the error (for the second time), sorry no logs enabled. But I did get this after I closed the first error window:

Give Unity the support it deserves!

Thread Information