Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: The New and Improved Trivia Thread

I know this one but will give it a little while longer for someone else to try it
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

I think it came from a French phrase "Jolie Rouge". It means red something. It was used to describe a blood flag.

Pirate flags came in a variety of colors and symbols. Red was used to denote blood that would flow, black and skulls and bones to denote impending death, hourglasses to denote your time is up and so on.

*throws a salute to Painless*

You've got that dead right.

'jolie rouge' means 'the pretty red one'.

Your turn now to ask a question.
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

In Medieval castles, circular stairways were clockwise or counterclockwise for a specific reason. For instance, in the Keep the stairs would spiral clockwise. In turrets on the outer walls, they would be counterclockwise. Why?

Dependant on if the owner was left or right handed, so he or she could do battle with a sword. All Warriors should know that

Close but not exactly.

pad, pad, pad, pad

Is due to swordplay, but was really more about which direction the defenders wer faceing. On the walls, typically the defenders would be moving down the stairs, looking up, so the stair would need to spiral so the right hand (typical sword hand) is on the outside forceing the attacker, moving down the stair to have their right hand hampered by the inner curve of the stair. Same reason, but oposite for in the keep. Most time, if the keep was breeched, the defenders would slowly move up the staris backwards, so the stair must spin the other way to keep their sword arms free.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

That's correct. It also affected the shield hand. As the attacker came down the stairs, they would have to cover their weapon hand with their shield while defender was protected with weapon hand free.

Your turn

As I have no clue, you take it Jayne. You kicked my brain in the rear anyway to get the answer. heh
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Ok Here's one

What do you call a change in velocity with respect to time, usually measured in G's?

Hint: It's a masterable ability available in the Wizard school

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'd call it acceleration or deceleration. (measured in g is gravity).
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

It's been a couple of weeks without a post so I'm going to jump in out of turn.

Like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers, in his early career John Wayne also played a singing cowboy. What was his name?

Not even a guess?

I expected someone to have bought the new John Wayne CD collection. He played Singin' Sandy in "Riders of Destiny"

Well, well, well whose been sleeping in MY thread!
    Nice one Tant.

What is Stewie Griffin's middle name?

Shaw el Shadai Moking
    'Coming at ya...like a spring!'

Stewie's middle name is Gilligan.

With no confirmation nor denial from Shaw Moking, can we consider Catharsis' answer close enough that he can post a new question?

I'd have to say yes. It's either right or we'll never know otherwise

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Catharsis is correct. I just saw that episode a couple weeks back.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Default Play Ball!

Well, since this thread is dying, and baseball is just around the corner, here's a question to help keep it alive: Who was the only player to win the batting title in 3 different decades?
    I regret I have but one life to waste for Istaria!

The most famous KC Royal - George Brett

Thread Information