Thread: I thnk this will take long time

Default I thnk this will take long time

Ok I downloaded the client installer and even though it looks to be moving pretty fast it will take hours before it is finished. I will see you guys in game soon, I hope before weekend. [:P]

Default Re: I thnk this will take long time

Let us know how long it takes. My recent, longest game DL record is DDO with 12 hours (I chose the hi-res version cuz I wanted to see as much as I could).

It took me a long time, too, when I built my new computer. I hadto leave it running overnight. Apparently, it does a CRC (or some other check)on each file as it's downloaded, and there's two years of updates there.

Good luck with it, hope it doesn't time out or anything. But if it does, you can log in through the website and it will just continue to update, although you may have to create an account first.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Well started around 2 pm yesterday afternoon and forgot to disable my virus scan at 2 am this morning so 12 hours made account and finishing the download now. Should be done in 2to 4 hours, not that bad concidering how much has to be downloaded. [H]

What shard will you be on D?

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Thinking of going on Chaos first.

Wow...

Im not trying to brag here it just seems like something doesent add up.

I take it you guys are on dial up or something... or check your firewall

The updater for Horizons (new install the "two years" worth of upddates) took about 20 minutes.

The download for DDO (hi res) took about an hour for me.

Well I have a 6mb cable setup also a full ftp site along with my normal newsgroup downloading. Not like I was only downloading HZ patch. But I also used the client installer so it had to DL the full game. Oh and I was still playing wow all day during the HZ patching. :D

Do they still have the full image which you can download instead of just the installer?

A couple months ago when my computer died unexpectedly it was taking forever with the downloader so I killed it and just downloaded that image. It's still a huge download but it was far faster even if it has to patch afterwards.It appears almost all patches don't come close to touching all or even most of the files.

Also, if you have access to your old computer you can shortcut the procedure too. A couple weeks after I got the new computer I reconfigured it in such a way that required I wipe the hard disk. Before doing that I saved the entire HZ directory. (I first tried copying it to a laptop but my antiquated 10 mbps home network was taking forever so I ended up burning a DVD). Then when I was ready to reinstall, I first installed the downloadable installer but only to get the registry and directory set up and then I killed it (luckily, it appears all the registry entries it needs are set by the installer either when it's installed or when it first runs or this wouldn't work). I then overwrote the directory with my old HZ directory from the DVD (actually, I renamed it as an alternative to deleting it first. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I'd end up with a directory which was an exact copy of what I'd had on the old computer). I then launched it. It may have wanted to patch a couple files but it wasn't a big deal. Net result, I was up and running very quickly and even had my old preferences still set.

P.S. If you have access to a flash drive or even an iPod with enough space you could probably do it with them and it might be even faster.

aww you're no fun! :P

Quote Originally Posted by D0ZeR

Should you be living a well-ORDERed life these days?
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by UlteriorModem
    I take it you guys are on dial up or something... or check your firewall

The download for DDO (hi res) took about an hour for me.
    Newp, not on dial up and don't have firewalls. Not sure if it makes a difference but I don't subscribe to File Planet so had to use a queued and throughout my DL it was capped at 53.xK. No idea why and that was even with me doing nothing else on the INet. And I have DSL.

Yay for Chaos! Not sure how often you'll see me there D0zeR but feel free to add Merriweather to your friends list. :)

It did take a long time to load up this game then update it didn't it?

Ah well, hope you enjoy the game man. To bad you wont be seeing one of the coolest (and immature but who really cares about that feature anymore?) people in the game any more.....me[:^)][:D]

I just bought a new PC and installed Hz on it..somewhere in the last 2 years since I bought the CDs I have misplaced them so I needed to download the files. My first thought was to use the smaller download and then the compacted update in the Tech forums, topping it off with the patcher for just the very latest files.. unfortunately, for some reason when I tried to run Hz it was missing some files and would not run.

Having the patcher go through each file seperately was taking an eternity so I did what I should have done in the first place which was to go to my old pc, break the files into manageable chunks, burn them to CD and transfer them over.

This of course is not possible for new players.

I'm not sure how to do it differently, but it does seem to take a very long time to get this game up and running if you are downloading it for the first time.

Not sure where this is leading - it is just a comment.

Don't forget about the post-instal update package in the downloads section. It will bring your main instalation very close to the current build, from which you should have only a small patch.
    Lumineux Talar

Ophelea

Methinks there's something else going on.

I've got a full client (thank you Amon) from 1/23 that I installed. And I'm patching and it's still taking an hour to patch from the 23rd??

I reinstalled because I couldn't even get Blight to load and it was locking my system to where I had to cold start. I'm trying to patch for Order now....and I'm watching each individual file take 4-10 minutes a piece.

Let me recalculate...this could be two hours.

I did a full install yesterday. Started with the original cd's though and it took approximately 1.5 hrs to complete from the time I inserted the first CD in the drive to the time I was logged in.

Thread Information