So I bought a lair. Set it to Guild only as my fellow guildies suggested...
But the thing is, I don't want to let the entire guild have access to everything, yet I would like to let a few people in the guild have access to various silos / halls etc.
But I can't do that. It's an all guild or no guild.
That got me to thinking...

Something that really bugs the hell out of me are permissions on a plot / lair. I mean it really *really* bugs me.
We can only own one plot/lair per account. If our alts are not guilded in the same guild, or guilded at all - unless I set my plot/lair to "Friends only", my own characters can't access the structures.
But if I do that, then I can't seem to have "Public" machines. If you're not on the friends list, you can't use them. Since this would apply to 99.9% of the community... A friends only setting on a lair is a no-no.

It's not so much a rant, as it is a "Why??"
It makes FAR more sense to set the plot/lair to public - and INDIVIDUAL STRUCTURES to Friends Only / Guild / Deny All.
It would allow guilds to give selective access to silos, if such a thing were needed. (You really want to let a newcomer you don't know yet at all the stuff in your guild silos?)
It would allow me to let someone I hired for construction use my silos.
It would allow me to set structures up that my alternates can use.
It would allow me to let everyone use the machines.

It just makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I can have public structures on a Friends Only setting, but as far as I understand it, if the lair is set to Friends only, anyone not on your friends list has no access to structures or machines in there, even if you set it to allow all.
It will allow all... IF the "All" is contained on your friends list. That's just idiotic. :)

Basically, I think we could use an extra setting: "Public" which would mean you don't have to be on any list to access it.

I used to think people locked machines on purpose... I now think it's not by choice. It's because the plot is set to friends only so their alternates can access silos and halls etc.