Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Biped Tutorial Feedback / Bug Reports

Default New Biped Tutorial Feedback / Bug Reports

I would like to ask that all bug reports and feedback related to the new Biped Tutorial be posted here in this thread. Thank you!

Update: As of 2-9-06 the Tutorial def files (blue boxes) have not yet been patched out to Blight.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: New Biped Tutorial Feedback / Bug Reports

Couple known issues that we're already fixing...

1) Gravus gives you Outfitter 1 quest instead of Scholar 2 quest.

2) Spawn rate of Tiny Grass Beetles near the bottom of the waterfall

3) Scout 3 quest tells you to use Sense Enemies but uses a location trigger.

4) Strange gather link in Gravus scholar dialogue

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Tala_Mirth

At the end of blacksmiith 3 quest (gather logs) Gravus says he can't teach you any more about blacksmithing.
    Once you close that dialog and reopen, he offers blacksmithing 4 quest (gather 50 stone).

Also, Outfitter quest II gives you the belt formula, but no needle to make the belt.

I tried to 'rejoin' the school to get the needle (thought maybe he would give as part of the starting equipement) and he got stuck repeating that I was already an outfitter everytime I greeted him (even after closing chat window and regreeting) until I chose the option to change classes.

Goatboy

WHen the scolar 2 quest gives me the outfitter 1 quest I am also getting the tutorial pop up for the quest screen followed by a fast CTD. Also have a problem that some sandstone nodes are placed way upunder thecat walkand when you get in range to gather from them you are looking directly at the bottom of the nodes and they are nearly invisible.

oneirosuchus

I also got the CTD from the quest window tutorial; additionally, why is the quest window tutorial linked to crafting but not adventuing? Adventurers need it, too! :)

Is there supposed to be a human model below the floaty gold thing for Ryson? I never could see a model, but the name was down there and I had to click as if there was a model there in order to select him.

That's the old Ryson text, or part of it. Is it going to be updated so that he doesn't mention the "Hall of Learning," which isn't there anymore? I don't think he even mentioned the two standing behind him. Since there are no dragons coming through this tutorial, also, the references to dragon adventuing and crafting could probably be left out, unless it's there just for a mention -- but with the old text, it's implied that dragons are seeing this, too.

I'm guessing the scout quest has not yet been fixed .. I never could get it to trigger around the tree at the top of the waterfall?

Looks nice, overall! Gosh that's a big island!

Matecuss

A few observations of mine,

- Starting on the isle, I appeared underneath the starting platform. As a gnome, this made me look invisible. Also if you recall without binding, your default recall is directly underneath the platform, needing some wriggling to get out of it.

- I also have some issues with Ryson, he appears all grey and textureless.

- Blacksmith quest 2 tells you to make a mining pick, but doesn't tell you where you need to be to make it. Suggest something like "...lets go back to the refinery near the mines and make one now!".

- After crafting the 10 bronze bars, that still isn't enough to make a mining pick

- After Blacksmith quest 2, a dialogue has a broken link <!--tutorial skills>.

Thats all I've noticed for now (although the first time player will end up with lots of items (trophies, armor) that they can't use, store or sell anywhere yet), looking good so far!

Goatboy

Aru asked me to test out a movement problem after defrag and optimization on my end.All the new characters I've made seem to move stiffly, almost jumpy looking, especially on the paved pathways on Spirit Island.Once I port them off the island it seems to get better but it doesn't go away. When I port to New Tris log out and back into New Tris it improves dramatically but still is not 100%. It doesn't entirely smooth out but it is no longer painful to watch. When I recall back to the islandthe stiff jumpy motion doesn't come back until I travel to somewhere on Spirit Island that the character has not been before. I hit a new area and I'm back to square one.
    I thought at first it might be because I was working with dryads,that I'm not overly familiar with,and this was just how they were supposed to move.Being curious I checked the movement ofa dryad I made but never really played on Law shortly before the addition ofSpirit Island. My dryad on Law moves much more smoothly and banks when it turns rather than popping up into a nearly standing position to turn, but being a different server I don't know if this applies. So I back tracked to Blight and being very accustomed to watching Tala run I made an elf.My elfruns in a painfully stiff jerky,film in fast forwardmanner compared to Tala. So I considered that her system is much higher end than mine and that might account for it. So I made the onecharacter that I know all the motions of very well, I made a male Satyr. This is how I reached my final conclusion that the new characters simply move differently than the old ones.
    I am assuming that it is something to do with the Spirit Island as the movent of none of my old charaters have changed.

Tala_Mirth

OK, outfitter quest seems fixed. Got the needle now, however he still greets me each time telling me that I am already an outfitter. Due to my trying to join outfitter when I was already in that school.
    Have to leave school and rejoin to get him to continue.
    Amon, I know that you already know that. just warning the other players not to be as dumb as I.

Tala_Mirth

Bad feedback on this one.

Tala_Mirth

Scholar quest one now seems to be broken. Gathered over 160 sand slabs (quest calls for 75) and quest never proceded and Gravus just told me to complete quest he had already assugned me.

Text Errors with Cellardus:

Cellardus tells you, 'Welcome back, Cleric! Shall we continue your <!--ST 2757955 28>training<!--/ST>? If you somehow misplaced your starting equipment, <!--ST 2757955 27>let me know<!--/ST>. You also have the option of exploring a <!--ST 2757955 2>school<!--/ST> other than Scout.'
    Cellardus tells you, 'Welcome back, Mage! Shall we continue your <!--ST 2757955 42>training<!--/ST>? If you somehow misplaced your starting equipment, <!--ST 2757955 36>let me know<!--/ST>. You also have the option of exploring a <!--ST 2757955 2>school<!--/ST> other than Scout.'
    Also in the description of the mage school,

Mages call upon the arcane arts to smite their enemies from a distance. They rely heavily upon the power of Flame, and as such, they gain skill with it quickly though it is not the only force at their disposal. Energy and Ice are also the Mage's to command, though skill is acquired with these forces somewhat slower.
    This is slightly inaccurate, while the abilities a Mage gains tend towards the use of Flame, they gain Flame and Energy Skill at equal rates (10 per level)/
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Gravus in his discussion of the various crafts:

Gravus tells you, 'Utilizing the skills of Logging, Lumbering, Woodworking, and Fletching, Blacksmiths are able to process logs into boards and then further into useful tools, weapons such as bows, and even construction materials.'
    Blacksmiths cannot create construction materials from wood. Unless this is a reference to the use of wood boards in some structures, the Saris Manor no longer does, but i think the Fall Festival Tombstones might. But even if so, its sort of misleading.

Gravus tells you, 'Welcome to the Scholar trade-school, aslighha. The Scholar school is a key part of the Istarian economy, for it is Scholars who make the spells that adventurers use. There is much to learn so let us get started. First, you will need the tools to gather and process stone. Then, you will need to gather some sandstone and process it into bricks. There is a dirt path behind me to the north. It leads southeast down this hill towards the Quarry. Use it!'
    This path is behind Gravus to the South east (not north), and leads southwest, not southeast.

Scholar Tutorial:

No Blue boxes at all.

Scholar Quest I does not update when 75 slabs are gathered, no progress appears to be possible.

Outfitter Tutorial:

If you cancel Gravus Quest: Outfitter Part I, and regreet Gravus, you do not have the option to "Learn More"<link> about being an outfitter, in order to reget the quest. If you switch from outfitter to another craft, then switch back, Gravus gives you the option to continue your "training"<link>. Which gives you Gravus Quest: Outfitter Part II, even though Part I has never been completed. If you then cancel that, again Gravus gives no options to reget the quest, and regives Outfitter Part II if you leave and rejoin the school again.

Blacksmith Tutorial:

Tutorial boxes appeared, but the last one was at the signpost advising you to go south towards the mine and not north.

Quest would no progress even after i'd gathered 55 ore
    I had the same experience as the Scholar quest

Additionally, both the Outfitter, and Blacksmith Quest Window Tutorials have the same repeatedable Crash to Desktop: documented with logs in case 80597

If you Opt to skip the initial tutorial upon creating a player:

You get a Tutorial window, which says at the end, "If you wish to learn more about being a Dragon in Istaria, please go greet Spitfyre the Dragon."

If the only classes present in the tutorial are:

Warrior, Cleric, Scout, Mage, Blacksmith, Outfitter, Scholar:

Why is there aJeweler's Hut (with gemcutter/jewelry bench) and a Gem Mine on the island?

This is going to be long, but I'm trying to keep it organized:

Bugs:
    1) Ryson isn't showing up as anything but a name.

2) Tiny Grass Beetles at the base of the waterfall seem to have disappeared. (As I'm posting this, I've been in game standing where I know they are supposed to spawn and none have appeared in the last 5 min of typing. Four respawned 10 minutes after someone else had killed the last one, just as a note. Is there any reason these shouldn't be an almost instant respawn given how few are there and that everyone has to kill them to get through the third quest?)

3) New characters are starting out below, rather than above, the shrine, so they are stuck having to "jump" out of it.

4) No Smithing Hammer when doing the outfitter quest. Need it to make a belt.

Problems:
    1) Ryson's text needs to be updated. He still talks about dragons going to his left and bipeds to his right, and a hall. Neither is there any more, right? He also tells you to look for the guy who used to give you the quest to transition from the starter island to New Trismus, but I couldn't find Jeremiah Trueheart anywhere.

2) The map doesn't seem to be right for the Spirit Isle area for some reason. I could be wrong on this, though, because I'm not good with maps.

3) It is very easy for a new player to fall off the wrong side of the mountain. Would it be possible to put up a pretty wall around the starting area instead of the pilars?

4) Blue pop up windows are currently disabled, which I think means all this user interface missing things will be covered once those are re-enabled, but I'm going to note them to make sure. No one tells you how to equip items, start fighting, loot a mob, hotkey an ability or find new armor/weapons. These also used to explain the various windows and menus too, just as a note.

Minor Issues:
    1) The text when you are finding out about the Mage is different from all the other classes at the very end. Instead of saying "a different school" to go back and compare other classes, the mage says "Adventure School".

2) No one tells you about trophy items, but you get trophies on Spirit Isle. They are also pretty much worthless (I think) because you are already past level 4 by the time you leave the island, but I could be wrong on this. In any case, adding a trophy hunter up by the rest of the crew would allow this NPC to explain that trophy tokens can be turned in for experience or sold to trophy hunters for extra coin. (In fact, this NPC could also explain how to trade purchase items from an NPC, as it will be the first time new players would encounter this.)

3) After the second quest, when Cellardus is telling you about how some trainers will have quests for you, and the quest indicator pops up... It isn't clear that you need to greet her again to continue with the third quest. She needs to be REAL obvious about how a trainer will indicate that an NPC has a quest, either that or a pop up window needs to be added that plays "connect the dots" and tells someone to greet her again. The crafter person, Gravus, lets you know to greet him again.

Suggestions:
    1) Somewhere someone, be it Ryson or Cellardus, should explain that there are more than just 4 classes and what those classes do in general. In Cellardus's text, there's a line about "It is up to you to determine how you choose to gain those skills before joining." but that seems rather vague. ;)

2) The base skills druid, monk and spiritist should be noted somewhere, even if they aren't choices on the starter island. Cellardus could just tell newly Gifted that there are classes which the Empire deems more difficult for newly Gifted and that the trainers on New Trismus would tell them more, or something. But they should be noted, I think.

3) Ryson should give a better idea of what is expected of newly Gifted during their first levels. Have him tell new players to talk to Cellardus and pick their class, but know they will soon leave this island and head to New Trismus, will help guide them along better.

Specific quests:
    1) During each of the quests (I think, only noticed it with warrior when I went through the first time) Cellardus tells you how to find Spider Hatchlings. You get down to the bottom of the hill past Grulets and are left wondering if you go left or right past the big tree.

In General whether tutorial boxes appear or not, appears to be hit or miss, and unless they're appearing properly, the first step on the first tutorial quest for each class, which require you to gather will not trigger properly.

Thanks for the feedback. As noted at the top, most of this was already known (specifically the blue box issues). We've corrected some of the rest. The tutorial defs will be patching out to blight and live on an on-going basis.

Thanks again for your feedback.

imported_Arcat

Hiya,

I didn't read across all posted bugs, so chance is some are dupe:

I chose: Cleric + Outfitter

Quests:
    - Outfitter III: Creating Ringmail Belt, but you get no Smithing Hammer from Gravus
    - Cleric III: Quest asks me to use Instant Heal I at least once, got the same Queststep at Cleric's II Quest.

World:
    - Can't drown in the nothern pool. Hey we can jump down from high cliffs, please let us at least drown wherever possible :)
    - Signs aren't readable (see screenshot) - sure, it's maybe intended, but this is tutorial island :)
    - Also at my nvidia the unreadable text is back.. (see screenshot)
    - Only looted level 10 refurbished items from the level 1-3 Gruoks/Spiders/Beetles

Tutorials:
    - Hz Doesn't explain howto scribe an item (this is so often asked in Helper/Newbie Channels)
    - The drowning tutorial refers to 'Horizons' - should be 'in Istaria you can't swim'
    - First tutorial doesn't point out that the player can click on ? at all times. (On live I think the tutorial mentions it when you cancel the Tutorial)
    - Happend to me 5 times that i clicked on 'close' instead of 'next'. Would be great to have some sort of NPC which offers links to restart tutorials or so ?

Client:
    - (?) Icon on Craft Window doesn't work.
    - Opening Quest Window shows the Tutorial over and over.. I think I saw it in sum 20 times. It never stopped.
    == UITutorialFlags.def - after my whole session ==
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step01 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step02 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step03 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step04 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step05 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step06 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntro_Step07 = 1
    intTF_BipedIntroStarted = 1
    intTF_Death_First = 1
    intTF_Drowning = 1
    intTF_hotkeyIntro_sprinted = 1
    intTF_hotkeyIntroComplete = 1
    intTF_InventoryWindow_First = 1
    intTF_ItemCreateWindow_First = 1
    intTF_OUTQuest01_Started = 1
    intTF_OUTQuest01_Step01 = 1
    ==

In general I did like the new Tutorial + it's Area very much! It's really well done and the little island is just beautiful. I liked the way the Sandstone does spawn at the southern Machine aswell as the ore in the Mine.

what I miss most is that scribing (and maybe also looting?) isn't explained at all. Maybe it would be enough to mention that there's a rightclick.. it does lead to many really important options. I also miss to point out howto join Help channel. Hz is quite famous for it's helpful community.. so.. show the noobs where they can start to meet :)

Another suggestion I'd love to make is to deliver mapmarkers with a fresh installation, marking machines on Spirit Island and the most important mob/resource locations...

Currently the client opens the craft window when doubleclicking on a formula: As a highlevel I totally need this to readout formula information (e.g. to see what comps are needed, as a noob however disabling the double click would help - e.g. offer the scribe screen). I NOT saying the formula preview should be disabled - heck it's so helpful often. however maybe it's possible to switch the behavior somehow when location is Spirit Island.

Keep it up Amon.

best,
    Arcat

Thanks for the great feedback, Arcat! Most of this is already being addressed by another patch to Blight this week and patching more of the tutorial defs.

THe one thing you asked about, the unreadable signs. Make sure "useLowestLevelShader" is set to false. Otherwise, the signs are unreadable. By default graphics were previously set to MaximumPerformance which enabled lowest level shaders. This should be changed now to Good Performance (I think).

Thread Information