Thread: The Basics of dragons?

unown88

Default The Basics of dragons?

i am almost done downloading the game, but can someone explain to me what dragons do, do i start out as like a baby dragon or?

Default Re: The Basics of dragons?

you start as a Hatchling... then through lvling and questing you can work your way through adulthood and on to being an Ancient....
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by fratricide
    you start as a Hatchling... then through lvling and questing you can work your way through adulthood and on to being an Ancient....
    dragons start to get really tough around level 80 (or somewhare around there) and the hard part about growing dragons up is the questing...unless you can enlist plenty of help (a high level dragon and a couple biped healers should do for the tougher parts of RoP RoP is growth to adult quest btw)
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Safire
    dragons start to get really tough around level 80 (or somewhare around there) and the hard part about growing dragons up is the questing...unless you can enlist plenty of help (a high level dragon and a couple biped healers should do for the tougher parts of RoP RoP is growth to adult quest btw)
    Not really, my experience was after 80 I had it easy. Maybe it was the monsters I fought. But I could take mobs 5 to 10 levels above me 1 to 1. With all my abilities up I could fight 2 maybe 3 of my level and not have a problem.

If you wait till 50/50 for the last quest only scale like any dragon would suggest the ROP is a piece of cake for you and 1 or 2 other dragons. You can solo most of the monsters at 50 yourself with just 1 or 2 That you will need some aid. Mostly a target so you can use your quest items.

The best thing you can do when you first log in is join the New player channel and the Dragon channels. Most will happy answer any questions you have there.

Lol so you agree, after 80 a dragon IS tough and has it easy [img]emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

Of note that was with T5 Scales with 3 T5 Techs. Using all or most of my non-hoard abilities and hoard abilities when in trouble. I have known some that do not have fully Teched gear to have trouble. Also Some monsters are harder for Dragons then others.

The same can go for ay Biped class. Learn to pick your fights and keep your gear up and anyone can have an easy time at those levels.

Quote Originally Posted by unown88
    i am almost done downloading the game, but can someone explain to me what dragons do, do i start out as like a baby dragon or?
    Well baby dragons sit around and cry a bunch...

Hmm...come to think of it so do adult dragons....

Hmmm...come to think about it so do ancient dragons.....

Okay! Before any dragons start griping, it was an opening <--------------> that big, so lighten up!

Besides, any Dwarf knows draggy tears make good trout bait! [:P]
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Pay no attention to Bori - he's been "celebrating" heavilly ([B][B][B])ever since the dictator oppressing his people was killed by a falling house.

Take your time in the dragon tutorial; it covers most aspects of being a dragon pretty well. Never hoard cash, but anything else that lists a hoard value in the item description is fair game. Definitly join New Player and Dragon chat, and don't be afraid to ask questions. [:D]
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Take your time, and join a good guild. That can be a fine place for friends and advice.

Odd that it was not mentioned above; some of the posters are members of outstanding guilds.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

I can second what most of the posters thusfar have said.

In your early levels, you want to stick with mobs that are your level, or slightly under you. Do all the quests your trainers will give you, questing is a nice way to gain some very nice things. Experience Points, Formulas, maybe a Technique or two.

Once you get done with the very first area you enter (Skalkaar Forest), you will find two dragon trainers in New Trismus. Do ALL of their quests. These quests should end with a quest to make a Tempered or Prime Scale (you can do both, btw). Now, some hatchlings have been reporting that they cannot get these quests... I think the Devs should look into this. My GF is one of those who cannot get the last few quests from them. Geh. I did, somehow.

Anyways, those dragon trainers should tell you about everything you need to know to play a dragon in Istaria. Assuming the quests work, that is. Do Not underestimate Any of the Abilities you gain from the Ability Quests. Keep them Up-To-Date and they will protect you well. Once you get Lv10, you can work on a series of Ability Quests. Most of these (except for 3-4) are done Every 10 Levels. Its a Great way to gain experience and a few levels, and the Abilities you get out of them are Top-Notch Essential. I would have to say that Every Single One of them is Important. Which order you do them in, is up to you, though starting out... I'd do the ones that ask for the weaker/easier mobs first. People in Dragon Channel can help you decide.

Also, I'd highly suggest that you try to keep your DCRA (Dragon Crafting) Level up-to-date, if not slightly above, your DRAG (Dragon Adventurer) level. This allows you to make/tech your own weapons and maybe armor if you keep Crafting levelled high enough. Also, if you enjoy crafting, if you level Crafting 20+ levels higher than your current Adventurer level, you can wear a whole Set of better scales than you normally could. Scales come in Tiers of 20 levels. You start out as Tier I (Lv1-19), Tier II (20-39), Tier III (40-59), Tier IV (60-79), Tier V (80-100). If you are, say, Lv20 and your crafting is Lv40, you can wear Lv40 scales and fight Lv20 mobs. This would make a whole world of difference, and it will make your quests a Lot easier.

Also, when you gain a level, you will get 12 Training Points. I would search the Forums for advice on where to put these. Generally, most people specialize in Tooth and Claw and Strength, or, Primal and Power. The Former is for dragons who want to become Lunus (warriors), the latter is for Helians (spellcasters).

There are many other forum posts that will give you further advice, as well as people in the Dragon Channel.

Hope this helps!

--Dhalin

Dragons have 3 basic stages.

1. Hatchling - this is where you start. A hatchling is larger than a large horse and looks rather cute. You can hop around, breathe fire and claw things, but you don't have access to many armor slots so can't equip much. Your armor is very soft - much lighter than a bipeds, but will harden as you age. You are limited to running along the ground like the biped races.

2. Adult - this stage is attained by completing an epic quest around level 30 "The Rite of Passge". Upon completion you grow into a MUCH larger adult dragon. You gain true flight as an alternative movement method to running on the ground. You gain or can quest for some new combat abilities including an alternate breath weapon. Adult dragons also gain the ability to shapeshift into a biped form about the size of a human at will.

3. Ancient
    - around level 90-100 you can complete a second epic quest to become an ancient dragon. Ancient dragons are slightly larger than adult dragons and gain new combat abilities and can fly faster than adults.

A note on dragonflight: Adult and ancient dragonflight is nearly unlimited: you can fly to enormous altitude, can hover, and can rise or descend vertically. You can stay aloft in a hover as long as you want. While flying you can travel virtually anywhere in a straight line ingoring almost all the terrain and monsters. There is no limit on how often you can fly, though to engage in combat you must land. Even if you are a biped player, its well worth getting an adult dragon so you can enjoy true flight.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Thread Information