Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Few Comments on the New Event

Default Re: A Few Comments on the New Event

I was in the Val's group lastnight and from what I observed, yes he has high evasion, and yes the AI has made him act much more like WE do when we fight. The biggest threats to our success is what we take out first. Then, we move around the group we are battling and keep working them down. That's what I was seeing. His one hit wonder was not an AOE, and was always directed towards 1 player at a time. With enough rezzers and healing, I suspect that a carefully chosen slightly smaller ( 8 maybe? ) group could take him out.

What I found most interesting about the fight, was that at times we all seemed able to hit him well. Perhaps it's too soon to have fully figured it out, but just like us, his specials are on timers and we just need to understand when and how to be most effective.

So far from this thread, I'm reading that most agree that there should be low level ONLY events, but there is good reason to have high level only content. I also read that there IS low level construction work to be done. Perhaps instead of grousing about this events mechanics, we could band together, and working in groups of high level adventurers and low level construction crafters, rebuild this woodshop on the fronteer? Then ANYONE that wishes to, may enjoy the excitement of this new event.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    I was in the Val's group lastnight and from what I observed, yes he has high evasion, and yes the AI has made him act much more like WE do when we fight. The biggest threats to our success is what we take out first. Then, we move around the group we are battling and keep working them down. That's what I was seeing. His one hit wonder was not an AOE, and was always directed towards 1 player at a time. With enough rezzers and healing, I suspect that a carefully chosen slightly smaller ( 8 maybe? ) group could take him out.

What I found most interesting about the fight, was that at times we all seemed able to hit him well. Perhaps it's too soon to have fully figured it out, but just like us, his specials are on timers and we just need to understand when and how to be most effective.

So far from this thread, I'm reading that most agree that there should be low level ONLY events, but there is good reason to have high level only content. I also read that there IS low level construction work to be done. Perhaps instead of grousing about this events mechanics, we could band together, and working in groups of high level adventurers and low level construction crafters, rebuild this woodshop on the fronteer? Then ANYONE that wishes to, may enjoy the excitement of this new event.
    Be kind of silly to rebuild the shop before the event was done, why risk low level crafters AND how many times are we going to have to rebuild it?
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Now who is being silly?

If part of the original posters concerns were the lack of involvement of low level players, why should they not take the risk to gain the excitement? You want them to have a part but at no risk?

And I'm very willing to bet that, due to how the game functions, once this wood shop is rebuilt, it won't be destroyed this event... who know about the future. But even if it was, and we have to rebuild again, so what? Is that not part of why we play?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

my question is why keep doing these events like this. the game has come a long way, but has a long way to go. before a new event pops offIMO this is what needs to take place

1) allow dragons to gain skill past 100........ seems pretty easy to fix if you ask me

2) allow dragon's to multi-class or better yet allow them to pick a class...... i personally think that the heals for dragons are so much of a joke it isn't even funny.

3) lets try an event for the dragons that doesn't require the hand of a biped at all. some people enjoy role-playing. lunus dragons hate bipeds....matter fact they eat them..... yet if we ever play on getting bigger or anything like that we have to rely on the hand of a biped to do all the dirty work for us.

i put this in here because everyone is complaining about a mob and an event that all of you higher levels should just enjoy. you all are complaining that it takes a team of 10 or so to take him down.

if it takes 5 or 6 of you that have 5+ classes mastered. it would take every dragon on the whole shard to even scratch this guy

so please before you start getting all pissy about how hard a quest is and blah blah blah just be happy you have a quest that a team of a couple of friends can do

i am sorry my meds are kicking in and im not used to taking them lol they make me angry....... i have to take buspar and for some reason the medicine makes me all evil

sorry if i went off on a tangent there :/

Quote Originally Posted by Death-Knell
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Aamer Khan wrote: ..<snip>...
    Perhaps instead of grousing about this events mechanics, we could band together, and working in groups of high level adventurers and low level construction crafters, rebuild this woodshop on the fronteer? Then ANYONE that wishes to, may enjoy the excitement of this new event.
    Be kind of silly to rebuild the shop before the event was done, why risk low level crafters AND how many times are we going to have to rebuild it?
    Well, by this train of thought why would any low level player have wanted to run materials to all the satyr tunnels? Would would any player run materials or work on the construction to freeFeledan? And I can guarantee you that many low level players helped in whatever capacity they could, even if it was just running materials. I daresay they enjoyed it, and have some good memories of those events. Once it is rebuilt, or when this event is over, there's a good possibility that these mobs and thier patrol routes will remain. There's no good reason for a delay in fixing that shop.

Rebuild the woodshop, chances are it will be better than before (player built/re-built shops have the finishing machines: this one should now have a woodworking bench), and I doubt that it will be damaged anytime soon. Tulga is in fact doing something we asked for LONG AGO, the chance tobuild these in the fieldmachines, so we could have the processing machines back.

The event is good the way it is, in that there's real danger for ALL players.

I do believe that the damaged woodshop is what David was talking about at Gencon, they are just now testing the ability for mobs to recognize a structure and damage it, just like recognizing a player and damaging them.

If this "test" goes successful, other structures may be damaged soon, and then... player community buildings and possibly player built structures themselves.

If you all remember back from day 1 when the game released... there were machines and structuresout in the field, provided by the game, that needed player contributions to get them up and running.

Now imagine the reverse, mobs capable of undoing that work and returning the machines and structures to a non-working state.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Now who is being silly?

If part of the original posters concerns were the lack of involvement of low level players, why should they not take the risk to gain the excitement? You want them to have a part but at no risk?

And I'm very willing to bet that, due to how the game functions, once this wood shop is rebuilt, it won't be destroyed this event... who know about the future. But even if it was, and we have to rebuild again, so what? Is that not part of why we play?
    holy bejeezes- throwing low level crafters into a 90+ level scenario is not what the original poster is asking for. Yikes man, he's asking for low level content they can handle. A mob would not have to get very close to AOE them to death.

As to the satyr isle example a medium size group of protectors was more then enough to keep those things at bay so a crafter could get in there and work. Not to mention a lot of those low level crafters were high level adventure types. We're talking low level characters not just low level crafters.

PS: OH and the mobs outside the tunnels were NOT 90th+ supercharged mobs. They were in there 40's if I remember correctly and not as many HP or as many abilities.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

There is low level content they can handle. The quests that are already in the game. Some lower level players simply do not want to. I suspect that they want, like many these days, to have everything now and participate in the *event de jour."

Lower level players are not being prevented from participating. Whether they will survive the participation is another story. I, too, got bored at times with the leveling. I went on some adventures far beyond my capabilities and I had a great time. It was exciting to be a part of it.

I also died. A lot.

I'm not saying that events can't be improved. The tiered events mentioned earlier are a great idea. I am saying that I do not think allevents are for everyone. There are some bragging rights associated with each event aren't there? Do we want events to be so cookie-cuttered that it becomes difficult to tell them apart? We just had a tiered event. Now we have one that isn't. I like the mixing up, personally.

If you cannot participate in this event, there will be others. They will be at least as good, if not better than this one. Patience.....

Flsssssh Rsssssst
    The appointed "Rhyming Rhapsodizer" of Blight
    Former Guild Leader of Blight's Conclave of Shadows

what do you get from completeing this quest?

A few comments.

Being able to solo all mobs should not happen, lest we remove the challenge for the higher level players. Not all player builds can take all types of mobs. I hate yew oastics, PJ chews them up. I love yew treants, PJ hates them. We both have strengths and weaknesses. Thats the way it should be.

Lag has been considered with this event, and the main mobs are away from major towns.

*ANY* MMORPG game you play, has strong boss mobs that require assistance, tactics, and cooperation. To want anything less that that means you want it handed to you. This game has ALWAYS been about working together. And as has been mentioned, it only takes a bit of that to take these mobs down. If you want to be a singular hero, play a single player game.

I disagree that all event need to be for all players. No biped can do a dragon quest can he? There are even islands bipeds cannot goto. if this is so, and we accept that reality, then why should this quest cater to all players, when it's purpose is to give high level, accomplished players some new challenge? I firmly believe that there should be t1-t10 events on the training islands for newbies only, and that during those events, anyone higher than lvl 10 should be prevented from porting there and if already there, recalled away. The truth of the matter is there are more multi lvl 100 players then low to mid lvl players. Should those that have stayed 2+ years not get something designed for them too?
    I have not participated in this event yet, too busy now lol. I would help a freind if needed though.
    The reason I am posting here is because I do agree with your post on this event, Aamer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]cattoy wrote: You guys are right, there's no need for every event to be accessible by all tiers.

So, when is the T1 ONLY event? The T2 only event?

These are the people who you need to hook. The T5/6ers are already sold on the game for this reason or that.

The devs are the mother bird. There is a big, loud, hungry bird (that would be the rating 100+ folks) always clamoring for content.

THen there are the scrawny, neglected baby birds hoping for scraps. (those would be everyone else)

You can keep feeding just the big, loud bird if you want. Just keep in mind that a T1 player pays just as much as a T5 one.

What they redesign of LA and the other T1 areas is worth nothing nota nill? From what I hear about those areas now they are much better looking and laid out then any other area in the game. I want to say thier are very few holes left on LA now that are empty of monsters unlike other areas.
    Events =/= content.

It's frankly the difference between a human DM and a choose-your-own-path adventure book.

Fiko

I'm a big loud bird...well, actually I'm a dryad, but I am huge as far as dryads go, ask anyone! My brain is fuzzy about the whole thing that happened, but something during the merge when it wasn't a definate thing wether we would merge or die out completely and some large scale attacks went on in pretty much every town that allowed for multiple deaths with no consequences for everyone that wanted to....or..*looks confused*[^o)] uhm..oh, right, this current attack by WA forces brings that to mind, sort of. Crazy strong enemies, lots of deaths by anyone that wants to "participate".

Carinde was right on some good points, 1640 skill = not even close to touching Daknor; 2500ish magic evasion = not even close to high enough to dodge that spellbind/bloodcry. I enjoy being humbled by monsters now and again when I make a mistake. This Daknor fella doesn't care what yer doing right or wrong, if he's inclined to kill ya then he's gunna kill ya, unless yer lucky enough to have a healer type or two that escaped the spellbind. I'd rather die as punishment for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, rather than just die because I can't even touch the creature with any ability that might possibly prolong my life.

As far as scaling events for various tiers, I'm inclined to go with the instant death aura that other fella was talking about. If yer too high and you get too close to one of the event boss types then you die. Folks that been arround awhile would get over dying from wandering where they shouldn't and think, oh yeah, right, event fella there, and notify the local lowbies to come save them! If you just do the thing where killing the creature gives you zero loot, exp, money and items only useful to persons of the proper tier for the event quest well then somewhere somehow somebody is gunna find a way to abuse it, because some people are just like that. Easier to just have the creature radiate death to everyone above the level range. Yes I realize this will lead to folks making new characters and leaving them at certain levels so they can participate in the lower events as well as higher, but whatever, that's not my business, they paid just as much as I did, have fun. I remember an event with a mummy, some folks whooped the crap outta him before many had even figured out what the whole quest with the dagger was about. I just don't like the idea of people being left out. Sure they get to stare at a new loading screen but it doesn't change a ******** thing for them.

Feed all the birds, but most of all pamper that scrawny runt bird. The long time players have become Extremely tollerate of bugs and broken stuff that most new players won't even bother to try and put up with, they'll just move on to another game.

As a big loud bird the new content for me has always been the scrawny, neglected baby birds. Well, that and trying to figure out what the hell saphire's talking about when she's calling people naked dark seals or whatever that dragon word is. [:D]

Fiko

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]AA0 wrote: I don't agree that all events should be doable by all tiers. There needs to be motivation to get up to higher levels, end game, and higher challenge in the end, not the same stuff we've had for 2 years.

some of us enjoy the low/mid game. why should we be forced to level to take part in interesting events? we enjoy the journey and don't want to "grind" to get there fast..
    Agree with you Ariadne. I'm not constantly focussed on gaining levels. This april I will be playing for two years, did all my levels myself, never been taken out by higher lvls to lvl faster ánd'because I have a job I'm not able to play 24/7. Not all high lvl players are long time players and not all low/middle lvl ones are "noobies".

It would be nice to have an interesting event for low/middle lvl players that NOT could be hijacked by high lvl ones.

In the mean time, have fun with the big boss, I hope he's still around in a year or so.
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

It has been almost a week since this new event started, and this is what we have learned so far:

1) You can't even get the event quest unless you are at least level 90 (perhaps higher). So all players below that lofty level cannot even begin to participate.

2) The smallest-sized group needed to have a realistic chance of defeating the Big Boss Mob, Draknor, that I have even heard of is 10. So all you Aussies and night shift workers who can't log in until 2 or 3 in the morning American time, and thus have no realistic hope of putting together that large a group of uber adventurers, well sorry.

3) You will need at least three (and possibly more) hides from Draknor to move the quest along. The hide drops appear to be entirely random, and I know of no one on Order that has fetched more than two of them, despite having hunted him multiple, multiple times.

4) Logic appears to have no place in this event. There are no hidden meanings or clues in what Jatell and Burris have to say (several of us on Order wasted all morning yesterday checking out every such possibility). Instead, it clearly appears that everything revolves around the hides Draknor drops.

5) So, the event quest appears to require nothing more (nor anything less) than endlessly camping Draknor until you are lucky enough to fetch all three (or more) hides from him.

I will say this bluntly: EverCamp does not an event make. It is a cheap saccharine substitute for content and, as others have aptly pointed out in other posts, is a divisive element. Rather than knitting together a community, endless camping of a specific mob inevitably leads to fighting between groups wanting/needing the beastie's loot. And equally inevitably, many players become completely disinterested in assisting others in fetching that loot once they, themselves, have gotten what they need.

Allow me to point to the Free the Dryads event as an illustration of a well-conceived and well-executed event, as it had all of what, in my view, are the essentials of a well-designed event:

1) New beasties with nifty loot: Four different boss mobs spawned that dropped not only loot necessary to complete the event, but as well additional "uber" loot such as the Boar's Hide Mask and Scabriagh's Staff. Adventurers were deliriously happy.

2) Puzzles: We had to explore and find new, out-of-the-way NPC's who gave clues to progressing the event. Brains and logic, not just brawn, were needed to complete the event.

3) Construction: Not some little woodworking shed out in the wilds, but a beautiful rainbow bridge--a lasting "memorial" if you will to all those who worked so hard to complete the event.

4) Inclusiveness: No, low level adventurers could not effectively take on the nifty boss mobs. But they sure could help construct the rainbow bridge. And they sure could help seeking out the event NPC's and puzzling through their clues.

Now, I do not suggest that given Tulga's smaller staff these days that I, or anyone else, should expect events on the huge scale of the Free the Dryads or the Free the Satyrs events. But I do suggest that the developers keep in mind the foregoing concepts that made those events so successful, so enjoyable. Surely it cannot be too much to ask that future events embrace these concepts if only on a much smaller scale.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Thats pretty much how I feel on events.

Tutorial, New trismus, and lesser aradoth have been redone. There are quests, and lots of content to keep you busy. The elder players have nothing at all, except events, but to grind endlessly until the game forces us to quit.

When the t2-4 areas get a makeover and quests, then the game can be hopefully full of life, and fun again for everyone. Just leaving the coming elder game up in the air.

Amon may have unintentionaly given hint in another post about triggers. Maybe that woodshop being rebuilt will trigger something else in the event. Replacing and rebuilding what the event destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloe
    Amon may have unintentionaly given hint in another post about triggers. Maybe that woodshop being rebuilt will trigger something else in the event. Replacing and rebuilding what the event destroyed.
    Alas, on Order we rebuilt that woodshop last Thursday. It was still intact yesterday afternoon.

And nothing progressed . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    2) The smallest-sized group needed to have a realistic chance of defeating the Big Boss Mob, Draknor, that I have even heard of is 10. So all you Aussies and night shift workers who can't log in until 2 or 3 in the morning American time, and thus have no realistic hope of putting together that large a group of uber adventurers, well sorry.
    We've done him on Chaos with as few as 8 when no other people willing could be found, and that without much trouble. I firmly believe that he could be done with fewer (maybe 6, maybe even less) with the appropriate tactics and group makeup.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Amon did seem a bit shocked when he found out we finished the shed already. I have a feeling it was supposed to change something, but its broken, like the inability to activate it.

Thread Information