Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So the PVP Arena is Live....

Default Re: So the PVP Arena is Live....

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne
    Good point! Dragonaide. I will campain for that too, hoard should not be used up as well as DP's given out.
    Jayne
    Every players, not only dragons ones, will still get DP upon losing. The difference is that your wallet won't be 20 silvers lighter.

Though, even though I'm not gonna participate unless my opponent is offering me a priceless orb, I support the 'No DP' suggestions. We are fighter, not gladiator. Not all area were made to Fight until you kill everyone else. Others were made with the 'last man standing' in mind, where the opponent only had to be unable to battle or unconcious.

We're all supposed to be allied, so I don't think it make sense that we would kill each others in an area. Battle and knock the opponent uncouncious maybe, but not kill it.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

I'd just like to go on record saying that people are making WAY too big of a deal out of this.

edit: sorry about the type size, I only modified "way", dont know what happened to the rest of it.
    Lumineux Talar

Since we are all allies and since we dont want to give other dp's (or recieve them for that matter).
    How about changing the team buff that allows you to battle so that you cannot get below 1hp?
    Character should show a sort of surrendering animation when 1 hp is reached, wave will do I guess.
    Or maybe let the buff do an auto superior res on death :)
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

I personally am opposed to pvp in any form at least on the general (chaos) server it might actually have a ritualistic use on a rpg shard, however, lets use examples of things in game as a comparison, when novians were introduced how many towns and settlements gotpillaged for novians ? it only takes a few people with the wrong mindset to really do damage to a major population of the server, if the developers dont squash the harassment for refusal to pvp hard and massivly it will get ugly fast its not a matter of if its a matter of when it will happen and it will as some people will sink as low as they are can.
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

If it helps any, I would like to give an account of last night.. I went with a fellow guildie, Airianna.. to the Arena. There were several others there when I arrived.. including Wrym, Bahomute, Salishaz, and two others I can't remember offhand.

We did a little sparring.. tested out abilities and practiced to see what works and what does not.

I watched Bahomute and Salishaz spar in the arena for over 15 minutes.. going at it.. level 100 dragon versus a level 100 healer, rating 130+. After what seemed like an eternity, Salishaz finally defeated Bahomute.. but it was such a close battle.. both were going at it, getting each other near death, then healing.. in the end, Salishaz did win, but only through will and determination.. Both were honorable and chivalrous, and all around praised both for their incredible skills.

No one had a death penalty or even a point, as there were several people present with Superior Resurrection.

I sparred with Airianna, a lvl 90 mage.. Before I got in melee range.. she mezzed me, then did a full multicast (x4) /Perfect-Spell/Burnout/Fusion-Burn/ Fiery Strike IV. In that one blast, she killed me outright. o.O

We tried again, this time without multicast.. She tried to mez me, but I used my Saris sprint.. got in melee range.. and she was defeated in a second. Critical strike, multistrike, and the fact that she is a mage.. The battle was a far contrast from the first.

But it was not to prove who was better in the arena or on the battlefield.. it was to learn, and to have fun... and that is what we did.

In Horizons.. with combat.. you quickly learn how the mob AI works. Take marble golems. If I pull one with a spell.. they will launch Hurl Chunk. Then close to melee. They then fire 2 specials.. Earthquake and Golem Crush. Then.. they hit you with Avalanche of Ore. This is the big one to watch out.. and as a monk, I time foresight for that.. and always evade the avalance with it.

As such, combat over time becomes stale. Because you know what the mob AI will do. After fighting things for over two years now, I have combat down to a science. It's literally a "Whack-a-mole" game with your hotkey buttons.. Click on this one, followed by that one..

In the arena.. You have to use your brain. Your opponent is a real live person behind that keyboard, and they can do anything. My foresight can evade one critical, and I'd be best saving it for critical strike, or multistrike.. or in the case of a dragon, Gold Rage. but how do I know they will use that ability next and not a low level ability like Shash I?

See? You have to think.. and a lot of chance and luck is involved as well... And that is where the challenge is.

So long as everyone can be civil, and act honorable.. then it shoud be fine. Those that do not act honorable will probably find themselves ostracised by the very tight-knit community that Horizons now has. Reputation spreads, and if you act like an ****** to one, it gets around. I figure that, yes.. problems will probably come up.. but do you not think that as a community that has been strong and remained strong for over two years.. we can't handle it?

-Menkure

I agree, the arena combat is incredibly challenging, you can die from one slip, and need to think and adjust how you fight. Your first few fights you learn what won't work, and what will... dark cyclone might rock against mobs but someone in platemail its pretty pathetic. Spirit bolt isn't anything special against a mithril golem, but against a player with 0 ethereal armour... ouch.

The arena will be fun, it'll add diversity and a challenge. If anyone gets out of line, we know they'll be slammed back into place hard and fast.

As for hoard and DPs... who really cares. It promotes the economy, they gave you a vault and tavern. Sup Rez is always an option as well. Hoard... seriously, quit whining already... its getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    As for hoard and DPs... who really cares. It promotes the economy, they gave you a vault and tavern. Sup Rez is always an option as well. Hoard... seriously, quit whining already... its getting old.
    I wasn't expecting less from a uberped .
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

I chose Horizons because the was no pvp, but now... [:(]

I can make only one suggestion: remove the PVP arena from the live game! The sooner the better! [:@]

Griefing, harassing, taunting, rude behavior. The side-effects of PVP. I don't want that. I don't want the slightest *chance* of such things becoming part of Horizons. We at Unity have no active WMs. If things started to get bad, who would enforce behavior rules there?!?

(I know we have currently very civilized people playing at Unity, but with the addition of PVP things could change. For the worse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael
    I chose Horizons because the was no pvp, but now... [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]
    You're in luck, because 99% of the games content is removed from the arena(s). the horizons you chose is still the same. there are no quests there, no resources, no towns, and no mobs. the only semi-interaction you *might-possibly-maybe* have is via chatting with someone who is there.

/ignore and not going to the arena should instantly fix any sort of new pvp harrassment scenario i could think of too.

i welcome the new addition to the game, and hope to have fun with it when i have the time to log in again. i dont agree that it's detrimental to the game at all, at least not any more so than the other facets horizons offers that is a personal choice to participate in.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by tjl
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Ahael wrote: I chose Horizons because the was no pvp, but now... [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]You're in luck, because 99% of the games content is removed from the arena(s). the horizons you chose is still the same. there are no quests there, no resources, no towns, and no mobs. the only semi-interaction you *might-possibly-maybe* have is via chatting with someone who is there.

/ignore and not going to the arena should instantly fix any sort of new pvp harrassment scenario i could think of too.

i welcome the new addition to the game, and hope to have fun with it when i have the time to log in again. i dont agree that it's detrimental to the game at all, at least not any more so than the other facets horizons offers that is a personal choice to participate in.

I can asure you that the game most certanly no longer is the same.
    I to did chose HZ over so many other games due to the fact that there was no PVP what so ever in the game.

For 2 years have i enjoyed a nice and friendly game where the players got along in mest cases this is no longer the case.

Aheal my self and a few other was sitting in the public market chanel on Unity.
    We politly asked the PVPer to take their talk about the arena out off the chanel and talk about it in the PVP-arena chanel.

They did not takeit there but kept on talking about the arena including chalenges the non pvp had to justify their point offview over and over again.

The tone was still relative polite as i logged out but i can assure you it will not stay that way.

The pvp have to respect that we have no interest in the arena.
    We do not have the intention to go there nor do we want to hear about what is going on there what so ever.

Unless they do that will there sooner or laterbe the usual conflict between the pvp and the non pvp i was hoping i would never see inhz.

In that case will i be leaving HZ never to return.

I dorealiseand accept that the arena is something that you that go there enjoy.
    I do notwant the devs to take that away from you.

The part off the game i play might still be the same but the atmosphere most certanly isnt it is slowly going down the drain.

The devs should in my oppinion have set up a few basic rules about the arenaand the way we talk about it .

1. have one public arena channel where people that wants to talk about the arena can do so any talk about the arena in any other public channels should not be allowed.
    2.those off us with no interest in pvp shouldhave the possibility to set a flag no pvp. sending a challange to us should not be allowed.

So dear PVP do all off us a favor respect that soem off us have no interest in the arena. unless you wants the non pvp to leave and you dont want that do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineux
    I'd just like to go on record saying that people are making WAY too big of a deal out of this.
    actually I think you meant.

WAYx18 too big of a deal out of this.

If noone constantly challenges me to a duel, of which case, if they do once, I ask them to not invite me ever again, twice, they are placed on ignore, I don't have a problem with the arena. If they also create a room with the game chat system, arena or whatever they chose to call it, thats fine too, as long as market doesn't become the centeral channel for pvp talk.

You all can have lots of fun, all that you wish, for pvp, consentual or not, I want no part in it, and will not partake in it. I don't begrude you your fun play, please don't begrude my fun play.

Have fun and go at it. Having fun is why we all pay a fee to play a game that we all seem to enjoy tremendously!

Quote Originally Posted by Mairynn Nalnair
    The part off the game i play might still be the same but the atmosphere most certanly isnt it is slowly going down the drain.
    You're on Unity, you've been paying attention to current affairs right ? As your friend Ahael pointed out, there are more pressing problems than a bit of light hearted PvP when it comes to Unity. I've not heard these discussions you're talking about, but you make it sound as if you wish to censor people for mentioning PvP.

If someone was to taunt me or goad me into fighting them at the arena, that's excessive, but people just talking about the PvP arena on a public channel ? To deny them that is censorship. Remember that on Unity, 'Market' is a player-made channel. It is not an officially endorsed channel such as 'Marketplace', if we would like to discuss market-only matters then there is always 'Marketplace' which is an official channel and is not run by the players.

The devs should in my oppinion have set up a few basic rules about the arenaand the way we talk about it.
    They did. Speak with Smeglor the Arena Master on the Isles of Battle. He makes it perfectly clear what will happen if things do not go as planned.

So dear PVP do all off us a favor respect that soem off us have no interest in the arena. unless you wants the non pvp to leave and you dont want that do you ?
    Without meaning to be rude, should we stop roleplaying on the market channel, stop trying to organise hunts on the market channel, stop saying hi to friends on the market channel, stop answering questions from newcomers on the market channel ? I think you see my point. If a player-made channel is going to have rules enforced, then the players who made it better go the whole way and ban everything except buying, selling and trading on the market channel. If that's what people want, then there's always the official Marketplace channel.

-------End of Reply-------

Now as for myself and the PvP arena, I welcome it as something else that people can do for entertainment. As others have said, the only real concern is that some people will behave immaturely. Maybe nothing can be done about that on Unity, but for Chaos and Order I'm pretty sure the rules of conduct cover that sort of behaviour. No, they don't specifically make mention of goading players into fighting one another in the arena, but they do cover harassment. That's good enough for me.

I'm seeing knee-jerk reactions in this topic. Sure, maybe a few of the people against the introduction of the arenas may have tried it, but I'm willing to wager that most people are jumping the gun and should at least give it a chance. We're all adult enough to be open-minded about new things, change is not bad, change is something we adapt to.

I can asure you that the game most certanly no longer is the same.
    I to did chose HZ over so many other games due to the fact that there was no PVP what so ever in the game.

For 2 years have i enjoyed a nice and friendly game where the players got along in mest cases this is no longer the case.

Aheal my self and a few other was sitting in the public market chanel on Unity.
    We politly asked the PVPer to take their talk about the arena out off the chanel and talk about it in the PVP-arena chanel.

They did not takeit there but kept on talking about the arena including chalenges the non pvp had to justify their point offview over and over again.
    it seems interesting that you would quit over one person talking about pvp in market, but have not quit from all the other dragon vs. biped debates, ooc remarks, bickering, random questions...and other nonsense that also gets chatted about there on a daily basis.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

I think some of you have totally Missed the point Putting someone ignore wilk stop you from seeing what they say and iin the worst case they are given free reign to slanderand/or libel or bad mouthed youwhile you are not able to see thechattext iIgnoring it will notstop the behavior and in fact will feed the worsts portion of it . That being said DiscussionofPVP is a hot button subject it would be best left out of the general channels and be restrictedcompletely to a designated channel this would remove the potential for the flame/rant factorthat discussing it in market place on my server has already caused, and to be honest Why shouldI have to take the few seconds of my time to place someone on ignore?I might want to sell them something someday, but as ipersonally find pvp a seriousnegitive, i dont want to have to place people on ignore.i simply dont want to see any discussion of it inMarketplace. its not the place for it
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible

From what I hear, the ANTI-PVP people are causing MORE trouble than the PVP-favorable people are!

The ANTI-PVP people are ranting in Marketplace, etc, and the PvP people are just shaking their heads going "Please just leave us Alone, we're not even affecting you!"

If anyone is ruining the game, its the ANTI-PVP people. Just walk away from the Arena, forget it even exists, and nothing should come to you. Right now, the ANTI-PVP people are being the problem.

Just shut up unless a PvP person harasses you. Tell them to stop. If they don't stop, Immediately report them. Problem Solved. Otherwise, just SHUT UP about the stupid Arena already.

Am I a PvP person? No.
    Am I tired of people being idiots? YES.

Don't like it? Don't partake in it. Its THAT SIMPLE.

--Dhalin

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin
    From what I hear, the ANTI-PVP people are causing MORE trouble than the PVP-favorable people are!

The ANTI-PVP people are ranting in Marketplace, etc, and the PvP people are just shaking their heads going "Please just leave us Alone, we're not even affecting you!"

If anyone is ruining the game, its the ANTI-PVP people. Just walk away from the Arena, forget it even exists, and nothing should come to you. Right now, the ANTI-PVP people are being the problem.

Just shut up unless a PvP person harasses you. Tell them to stop. If they don't stop, Immediately report them. Problem Solved. Otherwise, just SHUT UP about the stupid Arena already.

Am I a PvP person? No.
    Am I tired of people being idiots? YES.

--Dhalin

PVP is a hot button topic it will get this kind of reaction period. we all have toplay with it the people that are anti pvp and the people that are pro pvp, they stand on totally different viewpoints and will not budge from their stances, thing is, if the pvpers want pvp that is fine but the majority dont want to see any mention of it in the marketplace chat, if they do so it is really just a way to taunt the most against it into "starting " something ie bating them so if the people that love pvp and want it to stay, they need to remember this.

I read that rant too. All you need to do is read the how to save the game thread in suggestions from the very start. It's not a big step from the forums to it happening in game. It brings out the worst in people.

Regardless of which side of the coin someone is on, it is unrealistic or overly optimistic, which ever.. Different ways to say the same thing.. That people won't react to it. I just reread the live update notes. There is no mention of it in them. They have been silent on the matter and snuck it into the game. No doubt they expect an initial out cry and are planning on it settling down after awhile.

I'll be sad to take my two accounts else where, whether or not it's the PvP or Non-Pvp people causing it to be no fun for me to log in any longer. This whole contention is upsetting for me.. If someone considers that whining, there isn't anything I can do about their lack of character to recognize that I am honestly bothered by all this and it isn't anything I look forward too.

I don't know about Chaos or Order, but Unity was peaceful as usual tonight. About three people on PVP-Arena channel and no talk about the subject in our Market/General channel. Thank goodness! I don't want to see any PVP talk in general chat - that ruins the game feel for me.

And I think many people are RIGHTFULLY upset about the arena because it was stealth-added to the game! There are a million things that are more important for most players. I'd like to see bug fixes, new quests, etc instead of something that is in my opinion completely out of place in Horizons.

Read my earlier post: If, in the future, PVP causes problems on Unity, we can't report to anyone![:(]

That's exactly what I am doing. I will never ever visit any pvp arena. I may be a little sensitive to the subject, as I have seen the downsides of pvp a little too close before... And not to mention the fact my main is a dragon. Using my precious hoard for pvp? Ha ha ha! What were the devs thinking? Or smoking?? [:D]

Quote Originally Posted by Cloe
    I'll be sad to take my two accounts else where, whether or not it's the PvP or Non-Pvp people causing it to be no fun for me to log in any longer. This whole contention is upsetting for me.. If someone considers that whining, there isn't anything I can do about their lack of character to recognize that I am honestly bothered by all this and it isn't anything I look forward too.
    Uh, is it that bad?

Although none of this would have happened, if that arena had never been stealth-added to the game in the first place. I think THAT is the real issue here.

Thread Information