Thread: 'New' Map Marker Distribution

Kerik

Default 'New' Map Marker Distribution

Seeing as how the subforums work here, I'm just reposting this here.

I am doing the finishing touches on a re-work of the marker set that comes with the Map Pack.

Features (Istaria map):

-Removed all plot and lair markers
    -Split all resources into tier layers
    -Assigned serial numbers to every resource marker to aid in editing/removal
    -Assigned serial numbers to every crafting station to aid in editing/removal
    -Moved all travel markers to POI file
    -Moved player town labels to main city file
    -Removed plot information from town/guild plot named and adjusted font sizes
    -Corrected alot of spelling errors

I want to continue updating this and incorporate other information that you would like to share with others.

If you have markers that you would like to share, just email me your marker file from your prefs folder with a quick note on what you would like to add. Or, if you are familiar with the format of the file, copy and paste the entries you would like added here or in a PM.

I will probably have this available as a download on Thursday or Friday.

You can download the file here

http://www.mudsource.com/map-markers.zip

If you would like to contribute markers, please send me a PM here.

You can put this files in while online and use the /loadui command to refresh the UImap changes.

Default Re: 'New' Map Marker Distribution

I am doing the finishing touches on a re-work of the marker set that comes with the Map Pack.
    I do not remember giving permission for this.
    I wasnt even asked.
    This is EXTREMELY impolite of you.
    I took over the map pack only after having recieved written confirmation from Pekka.
    You cant go and make your "own" modsbased of another persons mod without asking for permission.
    It is just not done.

Aside from you handling this in a most rude and impolite manner I dont have any problems with you doing this, I just wanted to inform you that you need to deal with these things differently in the future ;) .

I would suggest you join forces with me instead of goin on on your own, much more productive and results in more consistent end product.

We could en up with different versions of the map pack, each with markers tailored to someones taste.
    You seen, your markers are based on your taste, what I do now in the map pack is What I consider logical, Many people have suggested me marker configurations they would find logical
    Right, enough withthe "business end",on to your ideas.
    Originally all resources markers used to be on tier layers.
    I put them ALL on one layer because more layers=more lag.
    please test your markers for a long period of time, you will notice that more layers means having more lag.
    the UI is a major contributor to the overall bad performance of the HZ client, adding layers make that worse.

The serial number bit is a very good idea, if the files needed to be edited manually.
    I use some nice vb scripts I wrote that trawl the files for markers based on their coords and then updates or deletes the record as needed.
    Still, theserialscould be used as an ID for a map marker sql database I am building.

Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Kerik

Check your PMs, I sent you one about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Frankly, I got tired of waiting for a reply and it's not in my interest to try to track you down. I did this work in one afternoon and I've been waiting since I sent that PM to post the file.

I'm not trying to work against you or steal yoursor anyone elseswork, I simply made changes to the files to increase the performance on mine and particularly my wife's computer.

The layers don't add to lag, the huge definition files do.

Just removing the plots and lairs cut over 250k from one of the files and cut map opening time down to 2 seconds.

Every time the map is opened, all of the linked files are parsed.

Sorry about that, I did in fact check my PM's before replying.
    I assume the crummy forum failed to deliver the massage in my box.

I quite understand you are not trying to work against me or steal work, my little tyrade was just ment to inform you of some netiquette in case you were not aware of it.
    I had not seen any pm so I figured you would be unaware of this.

Everytime the map is opened all linked files are parsed.
    That sounds about correct.
    Oddly enough in my own experiments reducing the amount of layers had the best effect on performance.
    For me the map opens almost instantly as it is configured now.
    Try it, toss them all in one layer, superfast.

What is interesting now is wich of the two solutions has the better effect for the majority of players.
    I'd like to use that one for the map pack.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

Thread Information