Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiosyncracies That Make You Say, "Awww"

eschiava

Default Idiosyncracies That Make You Say, "Awww"

Every game has its little flaws or warts, or maybe just minor inconsistencies that can sometimes be endearing, drawing us closer to a game kinda like the pure white puppy with a single smudge of gray over one eye.

I found one of those last night. Still in my early exploration, I took a bucket to the well in New Trismus, and selected "gather resources". Dutifully, Eschia began whacking the well with her bucket. Hey! Whatever works, right? She did get the water after all, and I got a good chuckle.

Does anyone else have any favorite foibles? Just little things that add charm or character to the game. Share them here if you do. :)

Default Re: Idiosyncracies That Make You Say, "Awww"

Milking a cow uses the same animation. I think I've heard the same is true to gathering eggs too. Every tool has only one animation attached to them.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Personally I like having to kill the chicken to get the egg. Cracks me up thinking that its an efficient way of getting them.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

The fact that you dont actually have to be facing or necessarly close to your target to interact with it. Either gathering resources or in combat.

I like to fight monsters with my back to them ! It shows my utter contempt [:@]

Ive noticed that disks are etheral objects allowing them to pass through walls and columns.

That you sould let treants rest a few minutes after they have been killed before gathering resources off them otherwise you end up with a somewhat disturbing animation.

Oh I think you can gather eggs from chickens by wacking them with a bucket too.

The fact that a full suit of mithril plate armor has the same bulk and weight as a full suit of flax...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

I LOVE watching dragons dig... it's SOOO cute :D

I used to have a heck of a time collecting hide from things like wolves because they would come back from the dead and yelp every slice [+o(]

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Quote Originally Posted by HratLi
    I LOVE watching dragons dig... it's SOOO cute [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

I used to have a heck of a time collecting hide from things like wolves because they would come back from the dead and yelp every slice [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-41.gif[/img]

-HratLi
    Dont know if the wolvesare like the treants I mentioned above. Maybe if you let the dead rest a few minutes they will stay dead [*-)]

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Try this at your favorite clothworking shop in the field. Note, it must have both loom and distaff to work.

1. Jump up on the finished loom product (and am I the only one noticing that the wheels are feeding the finished product INTO where it's unwoven?).

2.Head towards the distaff box and jump on top of it. With a little practice, you end up standing on top of an empty box in MIDAIR.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

The windmills turn backwards. [:S]

The moon rises in the east and sets in the west but the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Or the other way around. Maybe Istaria is the center of the Universe and the sun and moon rotate around the planet in opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire
    The moon rises in the east and sets in the west but the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Or the other way around. Maybe Istaria is the center of the Universe and the sun and moon rotate around the planet in opposite directions.
    Ah ! no wonder the windmills turn backwards !

Although extremely unlikely, this cold be explained away. Because the moon rises the 'proper' way but sun is reversed, it means that Istarian moon-planet pair is upside down within its solar system, as compared to Earth. What would have caused such a cataclysmic event yet leave the planetary pairing intact is a mystery; we have a sort of precedent in form of Uranus though, whose axial tilt is 97 degrees.

Yes.... I love how you can use Z-axis to your advantage :)

Drag your disk under an archway, go up to the archway above your disk, you can still access the contents, same with silos, storage, and houses if you are flying. you can also yank a disk straight up 1000 ft, assuming that the "X distance" is < 15m.

Try this... take an arial shot of the map above your lair and lay a 5 by 5 square grid over the land map. place map markers in those squares. Go in your lair and open up any storage on any level of your lair that lands in that square and keep the window inventory for that unit open. Then gather resources, fly over the square with the storage and drop it in (or your disk too)

Combat is cool too... you can pirch atop a peak near the mithril golems safe from their attacks and use a long reaching spell or arrow and lure one to your little safe haven and kill them one at a time, as this game does not know the pthagorian(sp) theory.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Actually, ignore the stupid stuff I said above. Turning the planet upside down does not affect the direction sun will rise from. Because rotation is still anticlockwise, the sun will still rise from east. Istaria would need to rotate clockwise for the sun to rise from west. However, this means the moon too would rise from west. For the current system, where moon rises from east, it would need to both circle around Istaria clockwise and complete a full cycle much faster than Istaria rotates, a speed that would throw the moon out of its orbit...

It can be possible, but the moon would have to be whipping around Istaria. Though that would also explain how there is always a moon (and a full one at that) at night.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

This is something I posted a long time ago (now if i can find that post) from watching the sky It is my belief that istaria is the center of the solar system...mabye the unerverise?

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    (EDIT: I don't think a moon can always be full though).
    Indeed. To remain constantly full, the moon would need to be on an orbit that is locked to a cycle that is precisely as long as Istaria's year. Yet, to see the behaviour it exhibits, it needs to be running around at speed that well exceeds escape velocity from Istaria's gravity well.

As for the star itself, it is much cooler than Sol; in fact, it is probably a red dwarf star. This means that in order for it to be as big as it is in the sky (bigger than Sol is from earth), istaria has to be very close to its sun.
    Yet it gives off light on the same hue as a normal G-class star. Mysteries of the universe... [:P]

As for the globular cluster, while the number of stars certainly suggests so, I think the gravitic interaction would prevent a stabile planetary system from forming. They're just too close to each other not to play ping-pong with protoplanets or give them severely elliptic orbits.

Hehe, go discworld. Long live Terry Pratchett!.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    But the istarian sun always looks redish, always has a halo, and appears much larger while high in the sky than Sol does (sol (and luna) appears huge while on the horizon and small while up in the sky due to an optical illusion). Even if this redness is due to absorbion of light by the Istarian atmosphere, the ground (and everything else) should have a redish hue to it. Like Mars (well, mars is kinda brownie).
    All right, empirical evidence suggests that Istaria is a habitable planet. Habitable, and similar to Earth in atmosphere and temperature that perhaps earthlings could live down there. Thus, it most likely is in the habitable zone of its parent star. If the star is a red dwarf, the orbit would be smaller and years would be shorter. Calendar events suggest, though, that they are not, and are actually on a yearly cycle similar to Earth's...

Oddly, when one observes the sun from Mahagra, it appears as a bluish-white ball, and in Tazoon desert a giant white-yellow orb. Perhaps the magical nature of Istaria's environment causes changes in, or deposits something into, upper atmosphere which causes this... refraction phenomenon. I suggest an orbital platform for further studies.[:D]

Or we can go back to square one and suppose the artists didn't have a degree in planetary sciences. [:P]

wow what a hijack!! :)

I love nerds....

(reminds me of the 13 or so page thread on the TOA forums discussing the various practicalities behind what it would take to take down a full grown flying dragon...man that thing got technical with ballistas and math an stuff....)

nerds Rule

Thread Information