Thread: Need Coin? Mint it!

Reshii

Lightbulb Need Coin? Mint it!

Being low on money sometimes, I've wondered, "Isn't there any easier to make money?"
    So what if we had a minting class to make the money we need?
    Of course, not being split into tiers 1-6, it'd be quite hard to do it like that, but moreso the ratio.
    Copper to make copper, lvls 1-30
    Silver, for silver, lvls 30-60
    Gold for lvls 60-90
    And Mithril for lvls 90-100.

Of course, we'd need a certain limit to what we are able to make, Maybe the lowest ratios to be 10:1? or so.

Suggested tools for it I'd have to say probably a mining pick, a smelting hammer, and maybe something new? Like a smelting cutter.

((And if you're wondering, yes, this idea was created from random banter.))

Bad idea...As if money wasn't nearly worthless already, now you're suggesting that people can make their own? All it'll take is about a week of solid work on that class, and you'll easily have gold out the yin...
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

You can pawn items for good cash still, way too much cash for what you really need. This class wouldn't server much purpose.

I've had similar discussions before. Our finial decision came down to the lore. Why should citizens be able to mint coins? There isn't a single country on Earth that allows that, it would throw the economy way out of balance. I'm reminded of Germany during one of their depressions, the man with a wheelbarrel full of money, and coulden't even get a loaf of bread.

Also, now that I think it, it's called "counterfeiting" (spelling could be off..), and it's illegal = )
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

come on now, everyone knows that coins are created in the gullets of gruoks and other beasties.

They walk around eating stray bits of ore and through the muscular contractions of their mighty innards, the ore is refined and hardened into forms that we use as coins. They apparently use these coins to grind their food once ingested, similar to stones swallowed by some birds.

This frees their teeth from the mundane duties of grinding up food, allowing them to be specialized for the purpose for which they are most often employed, namely tearing the flesh of the gifted.

i've heard this discussed before, am still not convinced that it should be implemented... anyway, the only istarian mint i think we're likely to see would be an ingredient for a confectioner's recipe or one of my roasts :-)

Simple Gaming rule - never allow the players to control the currency - it's a game breaker.

IMO all currency should be removed from all critters - there is enough raw materials that you can harvest off of critters and turn in for coin.

Want more coin? find rare objects occassionally - maybe a gruok bit off and swallowed a hand that contained a valuable ring. Or maybe a deer has a particularly fine hide.

I think that the devs do a decent enough job with stuff like this - discovery is crucial to gaming - you should never find yourself saying critter "X" will yield "Y" amount of coin.

Quote Originally Posted by fnostro
    Simple Gaming rule - never allow the players to control the currency - it's a game breaker.

IMO all currency should be removed from all critters - there is enough raw materials that you can harvest off of critters and turn in for coin.

Want more coin? find rare objects occassionally - maybe a gruok bit off and swallowed a hand that contained a valuable ring. Or maybe a deer has a particularly fine hide.

I think that the devs do a decent enough job with stuff like this - discovery is crucial to gaming - you should never find yourself saying critter "X" will yield "Y" amount of coin.
    This game was like this at one time and they had to change it to the current way it is because no one liked finding just hides on that gruok. They should change the loot message to be based of the mob so when you kill the gruok you get after killing it, "After a search you find the gruoks lair and find X coin on a skeleton." or "refurbished sword on a skeleton."

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    They should change the loot message to be based of the mob so when you kill the gruok you get after killing it, "After a search you find the gruoks lair and find X coin on a skeleton." or "refurbished sword on a skeleton."
    nah, that's a fairly meaningless bit of indirection and it wouldn't make sense if you kited a gruok all the way from one end of Aradoth to the other and got to search it's lair afterwards...

what they ought to do is revise the loot tables so they made more sense and put the focus where it ought to be.

if you want kabobs, hides or comps, hunt gruoks. If you want forms, techs, crystals, money and the like, hunt the WA.

Quote Originally Posted by cattoy
    what they ought to do is revise the loot tables so they made more sense and put the focus where it ought to be.

if you want kabobs, hides or comps, hunt gruoks. If you want forms, techs, crystals, money and the like, hunt the WA.
    It was just like that for a year+. Gruoks only droped hides and whiskers thats it, no coin, no crystals nothing else but hides and a rair whisker (I think that was the tech componet they droped). Golems droped what ever stone or metal they were made from and frags, Spiders droped silk and so on like you want. People complained till they changed it to what it is today.

There is lore to support the gruoks having coins, also you can not kite a gruok far, they will run back once they reach to far from their spawn point.

Thread Information