Thread: SLI mode (2 Graphic Cards) slower ?

Ax

Default SLI mode (2 Graphic Cards) slower ?

This seams to be a special Horizons problem because all other games I tested so far improve the frame rate by 40% - 80% in SLI mode.

At 1900 x 1200 res with most setings at max I get a framerate in Tazoon of 26f/sec with a SINGLE activated Nvidia 6800 Ultra.

If I activate SLI mode, so both Nvidia 6800 Ultra render on the same image, the framerate DROP to 18f/sec. Same option settings of the game, same location.

Same test with EQ2 and SWG shows a significant framerate improvement, only Horizons seams to have a problem with SLI.

Any idea what need to be done to make it work properly with Horizons ?

Horizons is not limited by GPU speed, so adding more power isn't really doing anything other than creating issues and other slow downs.
    Also 1900x1200 isn't a supported resolution by TG, or so they say

My understanding is that it's mostly CPU bound. As long as you have about 1gig of ram, and a half way decent Video card, the rest seems to be software rendering and processing that causes the slowdown. Going from a Radeon 9500 to a radeon 9800Pro did almost nothing, but going from a 1.2 ghz machine to a 2 had a major effect. Same with going from 512memory to 1gig, I think that at about 768mb or so it stops making so much of a difference. Not sure what the effect of the new patches are but pre merger those were my experiences.

-HratLi

Quote Originally Posted by HratLi
    My understanding is that it's mostly CPU bound. As long as you have about 1gig of ram, and a half way decent Video card, the rest seems to be software rendering and processing that causes the slowdown. Going from a Radeon 9500 to a radeon 9800Pro did almost nothing, but going from a 1.2 ghz machine to a 2 had a major effect. Same with going from 512memory to 1gig, I think that at about 768mb or so it stops making so much of a difference. Not sure what the effect of the new patches are but pre merger those were my experiences.

-HratLi
    In my experience this is exactly true. I built a brand new pc a short while back and kept my vid card the same. I got a tremendous performance boost from the new system because of cpu, ram and hard drive differences. When I switched the video card from a Radeon x700pro to an x1800XL I saw no difference in performance. Well not in Hz anyway.

I'm tempted to say the ram limit might be closer to 2GB than 1 though. Moving from 1GB to 2GB makes a noticable difference. I've watched Hz memory load on my system and it gets to about 1.3GB and stops growing. That's only leaving 700MB for running the rest of my system.

Well what I've heared from friends ingame is, that you get best performance at 2GB (in one case there even was a difference with going from 1.5GB to 2GB).
    For myself, I run a system with 768MB and can only say that it's way to less and will go for 2GB asap (= with next computer).

Joaqim - Multiclassed God on Unity
    "I'm Immortal, I'm Glorious, I'm Supreme, I'm My Saviour"

Beleenda - Goddess of Melee
    "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out"

i had a noticable difference from 1gb to 2gb. it runs a bit smoother, and takes just a little bit longer (few more ports) for me to get bogged down to the point where i have to relog.
    This page intentionally left blank.

Thread Information