Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: the random system needs to be replaced

Default Re: the random system needs to be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    Instead of trying to implement a whole new system; Why can't the random roll just come up as a different color? Red, green, yellow, purple, etc... These colors are not used currently in chat and would correct the emote trick. (Keep the emote's their current color.)
    The current client behavior allows players to set the color of their outbound text that other players will see. Your proposal of using color would still be susceptible to spoofing. (And before someone suggests it, I'd rather not see that ability taken away, as it does have its legitimate uses. )

Also, randomly dropping loot into a group member's inventory seems like a very disruptive change to an otherwise functioning system. The bottom line is: you need to trust your group members to do the right thing (whatever 'the right thing' may be). Changing the looting process to some sort of automatic distribution will not change that bottom line.

We'll likely end up having to change the messaging protocol for /emote (and possibly other channels) so that players cannot send anonymous text.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    The current client behavior allows players to set the color of their outbound text that other players will see. Your proposal of using color would still be susceptible to spoofing. (And before someone suggests it, I'd rather not see that ability taken away, as it does have its legitimate uses. )

Also, randomly dropping loot into a group member's inventory seems like a very disruptive change to an otherwise functioning system. The bottom line is: you need to trust your group members to do the right thing (whatever 'the right thing' may be). Changing the looting process to some sort of automatic distribution will not change that bottom line.

We'll likely end up having to change the messaging protocol for /emote (and possibly other channels) so that players cannot send anonymous text.
    Yes.. text can be changed, however.. when talking, their name still comes up in white; all the while their text comes up in their chosen color.. So I'm not sure how it could be cheated beyond that....
    Buut I'm sure there is many ways to do it.. hehe..

However, why not have the rolls come out in bold and colored? italicized? make the font size 16 only for the roll? (having it coded so it ignores the players chosen font size) There are many variations I'm sure that could coded fairly easily, while not scraping the current system.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

The bottom line is: you need to trust your group members to do the right thing (whatever 'the right thing' may be).
    The possibility of someone cheating, especially when it is very rare loot that folks have been specifically hunting for dozens of times, tears apart the community.

Folks are not always rational when emotions run high. Using max roll - is that 98 real or emoted? Using "neutral" party comparison after all rolls are done - is that party really "neutral"? Distrust creeps in when there is high emotion attached to the prize and any glimmer of possibility that someone could be cheating. :'-(

Almost any change to prevent the /random output from being copied by /emote output will be very welcome. Thank you for looking into this. :-)

Wait... Players can still send anonymous text? I thought that fix was already made. Wasn't that the whole point behind the fix that bracketed the names on emote text? There's no anonymous text going on when someone spoofs a roll as far as I can tell. The problem is that a roll looks exactly like an emote. There's no "trick" to it. It seems the fix that needs to be made here is simply in what the output of a roll looks like.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Yes, Raptress, that was fixed. That was the point behind changing emotes, you are correct.

As of right now ,not sure what the solution to the "random" system will be, but it won't include rolling back the change that made emotes have a name in front of them so everyone can know who the emote text originated with.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    As of right now ,not sure what the solution to the "random" system will be, but it won't include rolling back the change that made emotes have a name in front of them so everyone can know who the emote text originated with.
    I did not mean to come across as if I was asking for that to be reverted. I'm well aware that it's here to stay, for good reason.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Maybe I missed something, but Mali explained the suggestion of Awdz to me this weekend, and I think this works fine until devs find another solution
    (the "groupleader rolls"-thing)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

It works as long as you can find somebody trustworthy.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    It works as long as you can find somebody trustworthy.
    yep. "last roller" this way must be very trustworthy.

and can devs add to emmote some additional (not color, as it can be changed) that make emotes looks very unique type of messedge?

An update on this issue for your reading pleasure:

We've addressed /random spoofing by directing legitimate results to the "game feedback" channel, instead of the emote channel. As long as you have a window or tab that doesn't mix the "game feedback" channel with player-generated chat (e.g. /say and /emote), spoofing /random should hopefully no longer be an issue.

While in the neighborhood, we also changed the /emote prefix text from "[Firstname ] " to "* Firstname ", a more familiar format for representing text spoken in the third person.

These changes should be in the next simulation update to Blight.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    Anyone who crashes and does not get back in in time to complete the kill then tough luck.

What is to say that the person crashes, takes a bio break, pours a cup of coffee...goes out for a smoke, and casually gets back in game to enjoy the rewards of the kill?
    I've waited for up to 3 hours just to START a hunt. Taking a bio break should never be punished wherever it's at in the hunt.

If there is someone that does what you describe, they'd be out of the game for well over 20 mins. Have you ever seen someone that crashed and was gone for 20 minutes?

An update on this issue for your reading pleasure:

We've addressed /random spoofing by directing legitimate results to the "game feedback" channel, instead of the emote channel. As long as you have a window or tab that doesn't mix the "game feedback" channel with player-generated chat (e.g. /say and /emote), spoofing /random should hopefully no longer be an issue.

While in the neighborhood, we also changed the /emote prefix text from "[Firstname ] " to "* Firstname ", a more familiar format for representing text spoken in the third person.

Thank you. :-) I may need to change the set up on my chats but at least that will enable us as players to tell what's legit. This will be a relief. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    I've waited for up to 3 hours just to START a hunt. Taking a bio break should never be punished wherever it's at in the hunt.

If there is someone that does what you describe, they'd be out of the game for well over 20 mins. Have you ever seen someone that crashed and was gone for 20 minutes?
    In answer to your question I agree. I have not seen anyone take that long to get back into the game while on a hunt.

My point was that Krinharth asked if the spoils of the hunt should be held for someone who crashes after the hunt starts. But does not get back in until AFTER the kill has been made.

I still stand by my statement that if someone CTD's AFTER a hunt has started and does NOT manage to get back in until AFTER that hunt is over, they do not get to random for the whatever.

thank you from me too.

Thanks from here as well. Great to see this went live so fast

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Thread Information