Thread: Yellow Flag = Builders Wanted!

Lightbulb Yellow Flag = Builders Wanted!

Here's a quick little item I'd like to throw out here and see if it sinks or swims.

Currently, there is this little white flag that pops-up when a given plot or lair is for sale. This is a very nice idea, as one can quickly glance across a community and see what's available. It even helped my find my current lair, which is so cleverly hidden that if not for the little white flag on it I would have never spotted it.

I would like to take this idea a bit further: In the owner's interface, how about putting a checkbox that would allow the plot/lair owner to pop-up a yellow flag (same image, different color) on their land to let folks know that the owner is looking for builders?

This doesn't replace the need to advertise, of course, but merely augments it. It will make it far easier for builders to find your land ("No, no, NO! The third plot on the right!"), and also attract those builders who need a little spur-of-the-moment cash and have a few scrap materials they're looking to get rid of.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Heh

I thought of the same thing... but then didn't suggest it as some people would probably get confused... thinking the property was for sale because it had a flag no matter what the color was.

Maybe the same idea... only a $ floating over the plot marker
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Yellow flag WITH Green $ would definitely not be confusing with plain white flag (for the color impaired).

Of course, you wouldn't need a check box. Any time you manage a resource and put coin on units, it could be automatic.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Also, an entry in the community overview screen indicating funded construction would be nice.

Just make the floating symbol a group of burly male dwarves drinking coffee with their trou slung low in the back...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

If it was a money symbol, it would be confusing because it could also mean that the plot was for sale. I'm far more in favour of the symbol being a hammer or some other tool. Otherwise, it's a really nice idea.

I like the idea of some type of way to distinguish plots that have paying work.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    Yellow flag WITH Green $ would definitely not be confusing with plain white flag (for the color impaired).

Of course, you wouldn't need a check box. Any time you manage a resource and put coin on units, it could be automatic.
    The problem with it being automatic is that maybe the player has a reason for not advertising that work is available. Could be they have made a deal with a player or group of players to do the work for them, you wouldn't want some stranger coming along and ruining that deal/transaction.

I like the idea, although something different from a flag would be nice. As suggested maybe a hammer and pick crossed over floating over the marker (maybe even the marker that they use outside the blacksmith buildings). To even extend on this you could place 1 marker above the plot for whether the work was for an Enchanter, Fitter, Mason or Weaver - since each of these classes each have their own symbols.

I'd prefer this be in the community survey more than the actual plot marker, as some plot markers are covered or just not visible.

Maybe an even better idea to float an icon over the structure to requiring the work? more visible than the flag on a hidden marker. plot owner initiated as a button in construction window, as to advertise needed work?

click the button for that structure to set icon on or off. if contracted work, leave off. if not, enable for any one passing by to see.

no confusion about which structure would require the work. or which one has payment setup on it. hard to tell which shop is which, when unfinished. the icon would be only on the set up for payment
    Last edited by Merrik; May 2nd, 2006 at 05:26 PM.

Thread Information