Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gift/Enhance etc type spells suggestion

Ferah, unfortunately it wouldn't as the spells have no knowledge of one another. A tier 5 flame bolt spell does not know a tier 4 flame bolt spell from a tier 1 ice bolt spell. They are not tied together, hence without additional tech it could not be done.

by the way, "just" and "simple" are bad words around the office. heheh.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    Ferah, unfortunately it wouldn't as the spells have no knowledge of one another. A tier 5 flame bolt spell does not know a tier 4 flame bolt spell from a tier 1 ice bolt spell. They are not tied together, hence without additional tech it could not be done.

by the way, "just" and "simple" are bad words around the office. heheh.
    *chortle* Yea, I am aquatinted with the behemoth known as simple.

I do confess I was thinking in the spell casting function and special casing the gifts/enhance/raise in effect. Admittedly this is probably not practical, but it would work!

If it is wanted to keep it all data driven and if there is no current way to tie the spells together then it is non-trivial, *pout*.

Still, the idea is good...

I would suggest adding a new field for "on failure cast", but I can't help but think that would not be met with smiles To say nothing of the cost to update the spell entries, although just gifts/raises/enhances may not be that bad.

Still, the logic is fairly simple:
    If spell_failed and on_failure_cast != empty then cast on_failure_cast;
    For whatever that is worth.

So failing database modification...

IF the client knows what level the target of a spell is then let it say which spell to cast, perhaps by a hotkey ‘cast tiered spell’ or some such action.

Perhaps a hotkey could look like:
    Cast Tiered Spell:
    Cast Tier I Spell: Gift of Speed I
    Cast Tier II Spell: Gift of Speed II
    Cast Tier III Spell: Gift of Speed III (teched)
    Cast Tier IV Spell: Gift of Speed IV
    Cast Tier V Spell: Gift of Speed V
    Etc.

Using a hotkey is really just an example way, and depending on how the hotkeys work may or may not be worth the bother.

*sigh* Too much speculation and not enough facts.
    Regardless, I strongly vote for such a feature, even if it is not as easy to implement as I had hoped.

Thank you for your comments Amon, very much.

*curtsey*
    Craft-happy Saris with a crazy streak.

Default thumbs up

Love this whole idea. And as much u guys have hard work doing it but i think this would also solve lag caused by overpopulated spell and tech books. would be a big plus for the game and team as well

Default Re: Gift/Enhance etc type spells suggestion

I wanted to give this thread a bump, maybe the dev's currently in charge could re-evaluate this?

I was reminded of this when reading delta 120 notes, in which spells share timers now. This has a nice side effect of allowing older spells to be deleted, which should clean up spellbooks and perhaps improve database performance. Now if the buffs can be altered so that higher tiers are capable of a lower tier effect when needed, even MORE spellbook and database cleanup could be accomplished, as well as simplifying party buffs and hotkeys for players.

Some brainy dev please reconsider

I think this is all-around a great suggestion. It would save some time and also be quite a bit easier to throw a buff on somebody you are just passing by without later on, after being too far away, realizing "xxx does not meet the requirements." WoW (sorry to mention) already has this feature, which is certainly a nice thing to have.

I'm ok with the way it is now, but I wont argue if somethign akin to guarans idea was possible it would certainly be convenient.

btw sslik have base armor too

Idea: Gift of Primal Fury; Gift of The Claw

I mean, that would just be awesome hehe.
    Starmind: Member of Scions on Order Shard; Helian Ancient Dragon 100/100/100
    Starmind's Crossroads: Harro, Just Uphill of the Binding Shrine

Thread Information