Thread: Cannot launch game

Default Cannot launch game - Problem Solved

Edit: Turned out my pc hadn't installed Windows Service Pack 2, once I had corrected that Horizons loaded up fine.

My pc died this morning and I had to use the recovery disk to get it working again

Finally got the windows updates, .net reinstalled and Horizons downloaded but I cannot play. The patcher downloaded all the files I thought it would but hitting play won't launch the game.

The problem I'm suffering is on the TG: Game Patcher sticky:
    Problem: The Patcher installs and runs properly on launch, however does not launch the game.
    Frequency: ? Details: On Windows 98 machines (possibly others), the patcher will install properly, and will run when the user types in their login information and presses the "Play Horizons" button. However, once the patcher performs and completes the update process, it exits, and the Horizons.exe does not launch.
    Symptoms:User clicks "Play Horizons", patcher launches, executes normally, exits, and nothing further happens. Repeated attempts result in the same behavior.
    Fix: Use the Old Patcher.
    But I know I wasn't using the old patcher before and I'm running windows XP home, although the above post was made last year. I know it will run on my pc as I was playing only last night and I've not changed any of the hardware, so I can't understand why its giving me grief now.

I've tried launching from both the IE site and the standalone launcher, both bring up the patcher which says Horizons has started normally, the purple Horizons window pops up for a few seconds then nothing happens.

I've done full scans and unchecked the check boxes on the IE page and I've tried deleting the launcher folder and the contents of the log folders but no joy so far. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kelsaka; May 7th, 2006 at 08:17 AM.
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Have you tried unticking the .net option?

Yep, no luck with that unchecked.

I've also just tried deleting Horizons.exe and getting the patcher to download it again but that didn't work either.

Oh, and on the purple Horizons window it sometimes says "Cleaning up resources" before vanishing.
    Last edited by Kelsaka; May 6th, 2006 at 08:23 PM.

Thread Information