Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flame ON or "where are the fellow Flame Disciples?"

Default Flame ON or "where are the fellow Flame Disciples?"

A former ICE now a "Unity" Flame Disciple wants to share Knowledge and Storys.

After a long sleep followed with a account reactivation some days ago,I would realy like to know what the current Flamer state is all about.

- Does anyone play a Flame Disiciple ?
    - What are the sublement Classes ( if any ) ?
    - Do you enjoy beeing a Flame Disciple ?
    - Any Tips playing a Flame Disciple in the current game setings ?

Questions over questions...also answers ?

Dont be shy...come out[:P]

hobojo

Default Re: Flame ON or "where are the fellow Flame Disciples?"

100 STMD / 55 FLMD now (yes, I am a hardcore masochist). So far FlameD only has two things going for it, Fists of Flame and Fire Sheath. I play on Chaos, btw. However, I do deal very nice damage, but practically all of that is due to my 100 levels in StormD/Fitter. I honestly can't give much feedback on FlameD.

There is a 100 FLMD by the name of Menkure, haven't seen him around for a while tho.

A lot of the Monk's weakness in general stems from 6 str a level, you can counteract that by leveling up Fitter (it's produced an incredible boost in damage, as Fitter's gain 10 str a level).

It's also recommened you pick up 23 levels in cleric/16 in druid. Multiclassing is key for aspiring monks.

Don't expect to be a godly damage dealer. If this is you first time playing Horizons, I recommend trying another class, as Monk's are much more difficult to play than other classes. If your really serious tho and you happen to be on Chaos, send me a tell and I'll give you a better description of the whole Monk line of schools.

Thanks for the insight hobojo, well I startet to play my Char shortly after the game came out till february and just recently ( after a long break ) played again.

The FLMD was my very first Char i created.

Multiclassing with cleric/druid/warrior/mage/scout [:$] ..well as I said it was my first char.
    Good thing to have now a way droping schools ( warrior and scout mind you ) for now my FLMD has level 27 with a adv. rating of 32 ( or was it 33 ?)...anyway...I noticed that I seem to take a lot more damage as compared to the start of this year.

Well...I guess I will try to enhance his fighting skills ( to be cleric and druid helps a lot ) growth and heal I are my best friends for now.

I did not found a other FLMD on ICE..hopefully this will change with "Unity"

Try lvling mage along side you flamed, ..
    All of themage spells can be cast in "monk" form,..
    I have a guildmate called Jexter Mighty who could testify as to the
    power of having both mage / flamed, but as of late he hasnt been online
    much at all :p...

I myself plan to take up iced, mainly cuz i think it could be intresting,
    but for me it will be much easier, since ive got cleric / mage / battlemage at 100 ^^
    Isair Maelowyn [Retired]

Elvira

I'm currently a 92 FLMD, originally from Wind.
    Compared to many other classes in this lvl, I feel pretty gimpy. My 44 healer lvls helps alot, but only some of the spells cross over unfortunately.
    With my gifts and buffs from my drag on 2nd account, who I also group with when solo, I'm doing OK though.
    What I find most frustrating is, that most of the abilities you get, when you reach higher lvls, are not very useful at all. Several of them are not even on my hotkeys, because they do squat and are on a 10 min recycle, or collide with Fire Sheath or Fist of Flame, which are indeed useful, as Hobojo points out.
    9 armour use pr lvl is not very cool either, especially at higher lvls.
    As I see it, the discs, when compared to monks,are supposed to be specialized, with special advantagescounterbalanced by specialdisadvantages. Butas flame disc, I don't feel I get a lot of advantages, compared to the disadvantages really.
    I'm also 36 mage, and it's my plan to lvl that further, when I get 100 FLMD. I think it's one of the only classes that would go along well with FLMD.
    Had I been back at day 1 with this knowledge, I'd probably have made a Spirit or Storm disc, since they get full healing line. But then it's also kinda fun to be a rare class, and I'm still hoping FLMD will get some love one day.

There's a level 100 Flame Disciple on Order, but he never posts here. [*-)]
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

I am here, and I have been very busy writing a dissertation and review on monks/disciples.. which I am hoping address some of the major flaws and issues that we all face.

With that and the schedule I have, both RL and in game.. I only am able to check the boards a couple times a week..

-Menkure

Heyas all, I'm new to the forums themselves, but have been playing a flame disciple ~8 months; am currently a lvl 85 flame disciple, 53 healer, 77 fitter.

I enjoy this class, but as a pure class it is rather slow to do; I'd started as pure flame disciple, but w/o heals the downtime was pretty bad.

Once they made fire sheath armor piercing so it did more than 0 damage, things got easier for me, as well as after I got healer up to 42 for tier III gifts, revit III, and imp revit II. (healer to 53 for quick/cleanse revit III/imprevit III is a fairly recent addition)

Between the heals, fists of flame, and fire sheath I can solo level 100 gem golems on Ice Island as a level 85/rating 89, and with flurry and gnomian prowess have a chance of successfully soloing 2 level 100 gem golems at once - I feel this is pretty decent.
    Granted, my damage still pales next to a heavy melee class such as warrior, but the fire sheath makes up a nice bit of the difference.

Recommendations to play this class? as with any monk class, fitter is very useful for strength, and having heals coupled with damage shield allows one to live longer while hurting things.. my goal is to do as much damage as fast as possible.

I don't honestly know what stat or skill affects the fists of flame damage, or the fire sheath damage - be it focus, power, or flame skill. An NPC near the koin shrine says focus is an important statistic for flame disciples, and in talking with a druid player Iunderstand that CoT is off focus, so probably fire sheath is as well.

Eventually I will multi mage, not only in the hopes that power and/or flame raises Fists of Flame damage, but also in the expectation that Fusion Burn will stack with Fists of Flame.

As long as I'm not grouping with chaos warriors, reavers and the like, I can feel that Flame Disciple is a decently powerful class, despite the basic monk handicaps. 8P

Comments and/or suggestions welcome!

Gremblthrg of Chaos

Flachette

well i can definatly tell you CoT is not based off of focus so I doubt fire sheath is either. Im 100 Druid 100 Healer 100 Reaver 95 Conj 100 fitter on flachette and the biggest jump in cloak damage came after 100 fitter levels and doin conj so I feel damage shields are a combo of Strength and Power. I saw little to no increase in it from healer.

Im DrBad is a flame disciple / mage but I sure had a hard time hunting the tier II monsters until I leveled up mage, unarmed combat has pitiful damage output.

I did a little data collecting; I didn't get enough to tell clearly which stats affect damage shields (my tier III gifts and raises don't make enough difference in thedamage shield random range to tell clearly), but Fists of Flame is without question only affected by strength of the stats.

I haven't tested to see particularly how unarmed or flame skill might affect either, particularly Fists of Flame.

Sear IV (-90 flame resist) makes no difference to Fists of Flame but might help Fire Sheath; why it would, I don't know, as it is already armor piercing, just saying the possibility exists. 8P

And TY for your input as well, Flachette! Once I get to 100 FLMD, I'll see what difference the remaining levels of fitter, as well as healer and mage, have on the damage.

Gremblthrg of Chaos

A little more testing (redoing my training points, moving 87 points = 261 training points from flame, do combat, then put them in unarmed and do combat) shows that Fists of Flame damage is not affected by flame skill at all, but is affected by unarmed skill at about the same rate as strength.
    And melee flurry III + gnomian prowess + Fists of Flame is my friend ;)
    Gremblthrg

Wow... great info :)

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Crissa

I dunno... The spells are a big thing, but...

...When thorns from half my level do the same dps as I do total in melee - and I have fitter to my level (30+)... And I do the same in melee as just Menkure's fire sheath (though he can hit things far beyond me, of course).

A cloak of thorns at my level does twice the damage of my specials, and that's just... Sad.

But the flames are cool.

-Crissa

Flachette

well crissa you also have to take into account the druids that use cloak get 4 power per level so are barely able to do any damage outside of using cloak. Yall talk about monks having problems druids are as bad if not worse off as a stand alone class.

Update on my flame disciple, and back to the original questions posted:
    I am now 100 Flame disciple, 100 monk, 100 fitter, and play on Chaos, with flame disc as my main class.
    It is an enjoyable class for those of us who prefer a bit of a challenge, plus the Fists of Flame and Fire Sheath certainly add to our melee damage nicely. And as a gnome, Gnomain Prowess makes my Flurry attack do some very nice damage, albeit with alot of smaller hits.

Basic damage to Mithril Boulder Golems w/o mage buffs, power style, or specials is ~46-52 for Fists of Flame, ~65-105 for the melee hit. This is with 1631 strength, 1639 unarmed, not exactly the easiest stats to get. 8P
    But while each hit is low, Flurry III + Gnomian Prowess certainly makes up for it; I've been able to kill Mhedon solo with only self buffs (64 healer -> gift/raise IV), as well as do ~15k damage to a tier IV anchor in the first 30 seconds.

To be any unarmed class, Fitter is highly recommended; and should one multiclass mage or another caster class (I may in the future, staying melee for now), I'm sure they would be a good caster class, with better armor than cloth (if not by much) and a damage shield.

- Gremblthrg -

Thanks for the update.

******** those are some impressive stats and damage. I guess you have some nicely teched gear in addition to fitter str/tps?

How did you choose to tech the gear
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Max TPs in strength and unarmed, every tech on unarmed and strength possible, all T5 techs... and since health bracelets and rings couldn't have strength tech, I got strength jewelry for those slots instead - so all strength possible from gear. With T5 buffs, dragon buffs, potions, or mastered strength abils I could get it a lil bit higher yet.
    The downside is w/o evade TPs, I get torn apart rather quicker. 8/
    Oh, and with Unbridled Energy, Nature's Fury and Power Style going, I can hit for 150+ on regular hits, and sometimes do 500+ on a crit strike.
    - Gremblthrg

On what mobs do you get damage like that?

Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

I just tried on a lvl 100 mith boulder golem, with Unbridled Energy, Nature's Fury, and Power style up my regular attacks hit for 105-160 per hit, no mage buffs; so I think it's fair to say with those up, my reg hits can reach 150+ on almost anything.
    *wanders around Mith field a little more* Okay.. with those up, plus doing a couple chain attacks first to get Attack Chain effect up (seems to help), I hit another 100 mith boulder with Crit Strike.. 570 dmg. Of course, none of these damage numbers are counting Fists of Flame, that's another 47-50 dmg a hit on the 100 miths.
    - Gremblthrg

******** thats nice :)

Just further prooves our lack of strength is our biggest weakness
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Thread Information