Thread: Epic bosses loot change

Nidhug

Lightbulb Epic bosses loot change

Having recently returned to HZ I'm pleased to see some new end game stuff added over the past year ... Valkor, Reklar, SoG, etc.

After killing them a few times and talking to some older players I've come up with this suggestion:

Rather than having the boss drop the part/weapon/repair form make it a quest that require you to kill the boss 8 times (can be rasied or lowered) and then return to a npc who then gives you a random part or perhaps a "searching though X's remains u find a ***" msg and then a drop in your inv if possible.
    This way everyone will get something from a kill rather than 1 lucky person and depending on how many kills will be required it will still be rare items.

Why this npc have the parts and why (s)he wants them dead or why they don't have drops on them each time I can't say ... never been good at making stories

This is actually a very good idea....

This way everybody gets what they hunt for, and not give some players alot more items: we all know random is unfair

And the current system frustrates alot of people, if they win below avarage.
    maby the quests could be somthing like go bag 8 adamantium bones (for valkor) or go bag 8 rotten scales (reklar) etc etc..

the thing would be everybody would get 1 of those items then upon death of the epic, or just simply stick to the quests with a counter in them (0/8)

<stupid joke>
    good reason for the npc who gives quest for S.O.G. could be that his granny tries to get a complete blighted hide wallpaper and hes trying to help her </stupid joke>

ofcourse devs could increase/decrease rarity to taste by changing the amount of times u should hunt the mob.

it will also eliminate the trend that somtimes people try to keep the group as small as possible to increase their chances on an item... and thus excluding people... a full group would even be better this way to make a faster kill.

Sounds like an end to player disputes regarding drops. I like it, it gets my vote.

To be honest, I have never attended one of these "hunts" mainly because I found no reason to go out hunting to not even get anything out of it, besides perhaps a few death points. Prolly one reason I havent continued working on the present quests as well. Too much work for too little reward, least in my opinion. Anyway.. you endgame adventurers have fun, if the rewards start becomming more balanced with the risk, perhaps I may rejoin you..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Kill a boss 8 times and complete a quest? bleh, really I'd rather have the random system

hehe 8 times would be a joke yes

Think Nidhug meant: Kill him 8 (f.ex.) times and get a random piece from a NPC.

But from my experience this wouldn't change anything. Those lamenting about their bad luck would then whine about always "getting the parts i don't need".

Valkor's and Reklar's special items are meant to be acquired in long term. And that means hundreds of hunts. If you DO those hundreds of hunts you'll have times when you win 5 randoms in a row and times when you roll crappy numbers 50 times in a row.

In the end you'll see your luck is even with the others. *Looks at his list showing 162 hunts for Reklar, SoG and Valkor since 02-22-06*

Grinding quests is no different than camping mobs.. its just a sideways step not a forward one.

If the quest for 8 kills to get 1 random piece was in addition to the existing loot drops, I say why not. It's a way to at least eventually get something for all the kills, even if you don't win the rolls.

Nidhug

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    If the quest for 8 kills to get 1 random piece was in addition to the existing loot drops, I say why not. It's a way to at least eventually get something for all the kills, even if you don't win the rolls.
    Could also be an option but in that case the killcount should be alot higher. Been told something like this have been suggested before and shot down because ppl feared it would make the items common (well un-common anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    Kill a boss 8 times and complete a quest? bleh, really I'd rather have the random system
    Ditto that.
    Got Cowbell?

In all my Istarian life
    I have won
    2 RANDOMS
    yes 2 f****g randoms for countless kills
    random is nt fair at all
    its the worst system, stupid and irritating, if it was fair logic would be for 10 kills ( considering you play in 10 ppl grps ) you get ~1 rare piece/sogweapon, that isnt the case i am past 100 kills i am sure and still stuck with 1 weapon and 1 piece, what a joke when people with around the same numbers of kills have 2 complete weapons or such ....
    What random did is bad, awful even now if there is 10 people in group then you re not welcome, you just cant hunt the beast, now if server just started ppl will rush to be the firsts and the smallest group possible for kill, It just screws community a lil more and pushes in for more leet attitude. I will second anything to get rid of this plague.
    Ishar Xhaan => Ishar_Wind Xhaan => Imrryr Xhaan Lunus Destroyer
    and his biped slave KalTorak XhaanSlave Ice Disciple
    == Ancient Order Of Istarian Knights ==

The random itself is not at fault. Its like rolling the dice.

As far as not being let into groups or rules being made or etc. Well that a problem. Really there shouldn't be an epic mob spawning in the same spot over and over again. There was a time when everyone hunted this and other mobs and got along. Typically all were invited even if there was 3 groups, all got to roll. The only real rule was that you had to be there before the kill started.

People just couldn't keep waiting over an over again for other to arrive and certainly wasnt fair for those whom already had been waiting for 5+ hours.

Currently more people are finding that this hunting at boss mobs has been very disappointing, some have been chastise by others and made to feel uncomfortable. Groups have pulled before other groups have been ready, and this applys to both sides. I'm not gonna give details on any of these situations or take sides. My hope is that this will all be looked at when the loot revamp is done and maybe some sanity can be brought back. Only way to do it is make it so one persons loot chances has nothing to do with any other persons. As far as people not wanting to share or being allowed to group and such, well thats alot tougher fix.

Jayne

Janye: it is exactly that ''rolling the dice'' thing that makes some people very unlucky... and not gives them what they hunt for.

Hagen: no it is not so that after 200 hunts random evenly spreads out...
    run 10 random generators 100 times, and make 1 win every 'round'(u can write a software for this) and plot them out in a graphic (the wins).. u will see there is a huge deviation occuring

And yes besides the unfair random system, there is also the fact that the system promotes or invokes attitudes to keep the group small (only in some senarios)

8 times would not be a joke, since these mobs where designed to be hunted with groups of 10... so 10% chance would have u average 10 times hunting for 1 item.. instead u get 2 free and get it for 8 hunts... the devs can change this ofcourse to 20 hunts if they feel items should be more rare..
    or 3 times if they want to flood the market..

the POINT is to get rid of unfairness, AND get rid of keep-the-group-small attitudes that pay off now.

P.S.

AAO and Hellcat: if u are not happy with 1 item once every 8 hunts, that means u are the lucky ones that owns items that belong to other (the unlucky) where they worked hard for but not recieved
    Last edited by Thangorodrim Atanatari; June 7th, 2006 at 11:02 AM.

I hardly ever win randoms.. its very rare, but I am strongly opposed to a half thought out solution like this.

Hrm why not change the items themselves while making a minor change to how the loot works for the broken items.

Instead of 5 pieces, let there be 20 pieces.

Instead of it being random as to whether or not you get a piece, guarantee that everyone will get a piece, every time, BUT they may get duplicate pieces over time. If more than 20 people attend a hunt, well, piece # x and y might drop 2 times each.

The pieces would be sellable/tradeable.

***** EDIT *****

Those who already have numbered pieces would be given additional numbered pieces, if the total number of pieces in a set is changed. If a 4 piece set were changed to a 20 piece set, old piece #1 would become new pieces 1-5, old piece #2 would become pieces 6-10, etc
    Last edited by Cheopis; June 7th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    You know AAO...I am with u on the random...I love it, it's kind of lot gambling at the slot machines over and over again :-) However....being a player just since January of 06, and being a serious addict...with so much to learn in the game day by day...week by week...not to mention months...I went on my first Valkor hunt with some of the coolest folks! I even have the quest from the Tazoon person....only to find, that becuase of how it is set up...I may never finish my quest. So what a Newb is saying...and belive me, being new im not bitchin that hard...hehe...is just this...keep the random.....I'll dedicate time to to get random shots at the pieces...but change the rules of the hunt Devs please. Whether it be the time they spawn..to be equally able to hunt in all time zones...and put a cap on possibly how many times we can hunt...because right now with the 5 hour camping out...and with what I hear "only the team that hit the hardest gets a shot at the loot...really sucks. You know those folks who can play, I guess 24/7. I cant due to real life 10-12 hours a day...except the weekends of which I spend ******** near 24 hours playing Friday and Saturdays..hehe yea, my shortee is with dad for the summer..oh what a lucky mom Reality check once schools starts back up...oh dear sorry about that, I'm rambling...heh. BOTTOM LINE....Keep the random spins to try and get the parts...BUT....do something else to enable ALL groups a fair chance to hunt and that group get their random shot at the pieces throught the week.

PS...hehe...i've being paying attention to the forums lately....I hope I don't get nailed for this one...heh.

Thread Information