Thread: New to the game- with a few questions

Default New to the game- with a few questions

I just started playing horizons, and I have to say so far I love it. I have played other mmo's but there seems to be something dif about this one. ( I mean dif in a very good way)

I started my first character as a dragon- I just had to..
    (being able to play as a dragon instead of just running around as a wood-elf and killing them is GREAT)

anyway, sorry I get carried away sometimes

Question one - I keeping reading and seeing stuff about lairs. (I know it will be a while before I can afford one, or have a high enough level to get one.)
    But, when I am ready to get one- do I buy a plot- or the lairs that I have seen in game? I have seen some lairs and some plots. I guess what I am asking is can you turn a plot into a lair or do you just buy a lair and change it to the way you want it? and are their lairs that are just free floating in the sky or are the all in hillsides?

And where do you get the stuff you put into your lair? Do you just buy it from a merchant- or is it part of the building proccess? Is there furniture, decorative things to go into your homes?

Question two - I understand a little bit about the two factions of dragons. But is there a penalty for being one over the other. I mean can you still do all the stuff in the cities of your opposing side? Is it really just how you choose to play your character- more fighter type vs more spell casting type?

Question three - I am more than a little confused about the dragon crafting. I have gotten my dragon to level 13 both adventure and crafting. And I think I might get more than I think I have..lol - As a dragon we can only crafts certain stuff right?- ie dragon scales / lairs. I know we can craft spells too. But for example we can not craft food stuff right? and what about containers can we craft those as well?

I think I will end it there for now. I am sorry for having so little understanding of the game. I keep looking throught the forums - and I have learned a good bit.
    I know I am going to get my dragon crafter levels up before I go for laircrafting - I hear it makes it better if you do.

Thank you,
    Wispa (the lost little dragon)

Quote Originally Posted by Wispa

Question one - I keeping reading and seeing stuff about lairs. (I know it will be a while before I can afford one, or have a high enough level to get one.)
    But, when I am ready to get one- do I buy a plot- or the lairs that I have seen in game? I have seen some lairs and some plots. I guess what I am asking is can you turn a plot into a lair or do you just buy a lair and change it to the way you want it? and are their lairs that are just free floating in the sky or are the all in hillsides?
    Lairs are lairs....plots are plots...separate sections of land. Plots can be owned by dragons or bipeds and be planned and built (tho only by bipeds with the appropriate construction schools). Lairs.....I *think* only dragons can own lairs.

And where do you get the stuff you put into your lair? Do you just buy it from a merchant- or is it part of the building proccess? Is there furniture, decorative things to go into your homes?
    Which stuff? DO you mean the machines and such? If so, they are different "rooms" you can construct. Right now there is no furniture. It's coming out with the expansion pack.

If you are referring to the materials to build it, they come from various resources you find in the world - stone, ore, crystals, essence, etc.

Question two - I understand a little bit about the two factions of dragons. But is there a penalty for being one over the other. I mean can you still do all the stuff in the cities of your opposing side? Is it really just how you choose to play your character- more fighter type vs more spell casting type?
    Not really. I won't go into details due to RoP and ARoP storylines and rewards. For teh most part, a Lunus can be a caster and a Helian can be a warrior.

Question three - I am more than a little confused about the dragon crafting. I have gotten my dragon to level 13 both adventure and crafting. And I think I might get more than I think I have..lol - As a dragon we can only crafts certain stuff right?- ie dragon scales / lairs. I know we can craft spells too. But for example we can not craft food stuff right? and what about containers can we craft those as well?
    Dragon Crafters can make scales and spells. The other craft schools are only available to biped crafters. For lairshaping, there is a separate school called Lairshaping

Hope that helps!
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Thank you very much. Yes it was the machines I was referring to. I was unsure as to how you got them to put into your lair. But I get it now- you build the type of room that has those machines in it. right? (and say the vault etc- you just build that type of room and those things are in it when you finish)

I have not decided which route to take Lunus or Helian - I am thinking Helian because I do enjoy crafting - but I also like the fighting..lol

Is there a certain level which you "have" to choose one or the other? I know you do once you start your rop. - but I was thinking about waiting on that till higher level. I was reading the post about it and weather to wait till higher level or not-- and I kind of like the idea of being able to do the quest instead of having others doign it for me. SO I am going to wait till level 50ish to start it. So I should be ok waiting to choose which faction till then correct?

You choose your faction during the ROP. The start gives you alitte more info on it. At about step 4 or so you choose and start doing the ROP quest to become that faction.

Lairs
    Lairs are the holes in the ground that you see several places, plots are the brown rectangles on the ground. All that you currently see for an unbought lair is the entryway. If you go visit some of the purchased lairs, you can see the kinds of things that have been built. Or click on the lair floorplan in my sig to see the types of things I'm putting in my lair.

Plots are for bipeds, but you may want to find a friendly biped with a plot near your lair that will let you make use of his silos while you get your first couple rooms built (you are planning on putting silos in your lair, right?)

Thre is a Lair Pieces thread that will help your design process, as well as David Bowman's Lair Chamber Functions post.

The machines in lairs are part of the chamber that you are building. Some endcaps to hallways are decorative, and the devs are adding furniture for lairs (theoretically at least, I've seen no specifics yet) along iwth the Horizons: Settlements expansion.

Helian or Lunus?
    The choice is really roleplay related, unless you are a min-maxer (not a bad thing, necessarily). You can easily cover for the bonuses if you go with the faction that suits your personality but not your playstyle by adjusting the techs on your scales.

Its got some spoilers in it, but here are some blogs I did that describe the lore and gameplay effects of going either Helian or Lunus: The Historian's Tale and Investigating the Historian's Tale. The Horizons blogs over at GamersInfo.net are good reading (shameless promotion).

And yes, waiting till fifty to start the ROP is the way I'm going too, though I did the Historian's Tale earlier to see what the backstory on the two factions are. I'm going Helian by the way.

Crafting
    As a dragon crafter you can make any spell (dragon or biped), dragon scales (armor), dragon claws (weapons, techable for crafting or combat), and dragon scale packs (size of your inventory). We don't get to make cargo disks or food. There has been some talk of dragon barbecuing skills along with the confectioner revamp, but AFAIK its not even in planning stages yet.

Lairshaper is a prestige skill, you need several levels as a dragon crafter before you can start it. Even if you don't own your own lair, its a decent way to earn cash by the way, making lair pieces for dragons that are willing to pay for them.

Have fun with your dragon and keep asking questions. By the way, you have found horizons.gamersinfo.net, right?
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Sahsi

Wispa, give me a tell in-game if you're on Chaos shard, my hatchie's (62/66) name is Saule. I may not know the answers to all your questions, but I can help some The new player assistance and dragon chat channels are also great sources of information. I still learn something new almost every day.

Welcome to Istaria

Thank you for all the help. I have spent the day off and on in the forums just reading up on stuff. ( with the servers down and all)..lol

I really can not wait to get my own lair. I do not know why but there is just something so enticing about being a dragon with a lair of riches..lol - well you know what I mean.

But I have a way to go - I want to get my dragon crafting levels high before I switch over to lairshapping. And I am still just a baby but each day I get a little smarter and stronger.

Thread Information