Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elusive Radiant Wisp

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    However, it is possible (though highly highly unlikely) to find 6 Radiant Wisps together in a single location on the live servers. But highly highly unlikely (did I mention it was highly unlikely?).
    This can mean only one thing in my mind. All of the radiant wisps in the world are linked to eachother and there might possibly only be 6 wisps total.

So, what does this mean to the inquiring mind?

1) Don't kill any other type of mobile resource thinking it will spawn a radiant. It won't, never will, resources just do not work that way. There is no such thing as cross resource linking and that's a fact (unless a Dev can prove otherwise). I've done extensive research on the matter, it doesn't happen.... EVER.

2) Pay attention to the spawns you find the radiants in. Make note as these are their linked fields.

3) Focus. Once you feel you have a pretty good idea that you have every possible linked location marked or memorized, pick one that is the most convenient for you. Then go to every other spawn location and KILL THE RADIANTS THERE! Check back at your prefered spot to check the radiant density. Rinse and repeat until the radiant density in your prefered spot is at an acceptable level or you've got all 6..

4) Harvest to your hearts content.

If this method doesn't work then you probably missed some spawn location(s) somewhere and the wisps are respawning there as well. I also don't know the respawn rate of radiant wisps so if they are on a longer timer, it's quite possible the killed wisps haven't had time to respawn. And of course, there is ALWAYS that possibility I could be dead wrong.

Peaches trying to steal my joke, tisk tisk

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    1) Don't kill any other type of mobile resource thinking it will spawn a radiant. It won't, never will, resources just do not work that way. There is no such thing as cross resource linking and that's a fact (unless a Dev can prove otherwise). I've done extensive research on the matter, it doesn't happen.... EVER.
    It is actually possible for us to set up a spawn group such that there are a limited number of "slots" that can be filled by different monsters (resource or otherwise), such that killing one can result in the spawning of a different one.

We don't do that too often, and I know that Amon didn't do that with Radiant Wisps, so there's no need to slaughter innocent wisps to try to get more Radiants.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    It is actually possible for us to set up a spawn group such that there are a limited number of "slots" that can be filled by different monsters (resource or otherwise), such that killing one can result in the spawning of a different one.

We don't do that too often...
    why on earth don't you? Would make adventuring that much
    more interesting and a bit less "sterilized" if there were some
    random MOBs mixed in with the "expected" crowds...

Man... I would have been doing this all along... *shrugs*
    Got Cowbell?

Ok, I'll be the first to say it here on the boards (but certainly not in game) . . .

If you, the devs, only spawn 6 or even 10 radiant wisps scattered across Istaria at any one time, why did you bother to put them in at all? It's still far, far easier and more efficient simply to transmute resources than to stand in line at the one or two radiant wisps found thus far.

I really, really believe that upon deciding to put them in game you would have had a far happier player base if you made one or two REAL spawn fields of them, even if in far off and/or dangerous places, like the thornwoods and travertine.

Just my grumbling two cents . . . .
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I think it's kinda cool that they randomly spawn like they do.
    I just think they need more of them.
    Got Cowbell?

Zombie ogres seem set up that way

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    Ok, I'll be the first to say it here on the boards (but certainly not in game) . . .

If you, the devs, only spawn 6 or even 10 radiant wisps scattered across Istaria at any one time, why did you bother to put them in at all? It's still far, far easier and more efficient simply to transmute resources than to stand in line at the one or two radiant wisps found thus far.

I really, really believe that upon deciding to put them in game you would have had a far happier player base if you made one or two REAL spawn fields of them, even if in far off and/or dangerous places, like the thornwoods and travertine.

I have to agree, there should be more. Why punish someone who has already worked hard to get a high enough craft that even needs them, by making them so rare that it borders on the rediculous.

Put a spawn on peak of storms (cmon, the place is perfect for them), and another east of east blight. Throw in some trees and thornwood treants for guards. Or some blight specters.

But having few and far between placement just seems like you are trying to drive people insane.

I have to agree also. Transmuting is much more efficient. Only putting 6 radiant wisps in the world is just a waste of our time and is a pretty silly thing to do.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I'll have to concur with this also. It becomes resource camping, and one of the things I've always liked about Horizons is the relative lack of camping. All of us high end crafters need huge amounts of radiants for expert construction. And I don't ever want to have to compete or stand in line with my fellow crafters for such a limited resource.
    Last edited by Foxfire; June 19th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

One other thing that you should consider... It is not always faster to harvest, kill and let a resource node respawn. As opposed to harvesting and letting it regenerate.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

business as usual. don't retire that alteration wand.

spent close to 8 hours looking for a radiant wisp. I hit every wisp field from kion to the swamp, the islands...in the wilds and the fields close to towns. NADA....zip

Thanks Tulga....this is what I call fun!!!
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Death-Knell, if other people are harvesting and then killing them then you would definitely have difficulty finding one. As I said, it is better to harvest and let them regen.

But they are in... and they are RARE.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Amon,
    Why put in Radiant wisp and have them made so rare, that actually investing any time into looking for one is just a waste of that time.
    And since they are so rare: you guys did a lousy job with the respawn rate.
    I and many others have the assumption that the best way of harvesting wisps is. Harvest and then kill the wisp, so that you or others in the area don't go chasing drained wisps. Excuse players that they put that tactic to use on Radiant wisps.
    I don't need radiant wisps just yet. But if have planned for my lair to have everything T6: 5 chambers with machines, a grandhall, a lair, libraries, consigner and pawnies, ... (BTW I have the lair at Titian Mines, the special one, so yes I can build all of this.)
    Do you have any idea how much radiant I am going to need?
    I don't plan do build those chambers on 6 radiant wisps all over Istaria.
    Do me a favor: put a radiant wisp in my lair. Only 1 for me alone, sort of a pet, so that everytime I get into my lair I can harvest it for essence.
    At least it will be still a slow process, but then I know where to find that wisp.

Salis

At release, it was indeed faster to kill a wisp and wait for it to respawn fully charged. Over a year ago (so I've been told) wisp recharge was tweaked, and they are again fully charged faster than it would take them to respawn.

I've tested this myself on Chaos, and it is indeed faster to drain the wisp and let it go its merry way than to drain the wisp and kill it.

The respawn test was easy enough, and consisted of draining a wisp at a full spawn, killing it, and timing until a new wisp appears. Then draining a wisp and counting how many harvests I obtained from it. I did this ten times and averaged the result.

The recharge test was more laborious. I drained a wisp and counted the number of harvests obtained from it. Then I waited for it to start moving and added increments of 10 seconds before harvesting it again until I got the same number of harvests from it that I originally did.

Unfortunately, I can't find the paper with the times on it (I'm pack rat enough that I'm sure I kept it, but also pack rat enough that I can't locate it...) but I do know that the result was that the recharge was faster than the respawn. Feel free to duplicate this test if you want, but also note that Amon's replies in this thread confirm this result.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Default Well

We do have transmutation of shining into radiant, and I don't honestly mind doing this, I just can't understand the reasoning behind them being rare. As I said, it won't be a problem for me to transmutate, but others might feel differently. Rare means, only select lucky individuals get the use of the wisp, and if thats what is intended, well, I dunno what to say here. An item that is needed for building , shouldnt be quite as rare, but, thats my take. I am just a player.

Ok, I undesstand now, thanks to an explanation Imayo gave me. Thanks Immy!
    Last edited by Peaches; June 18th, 2006 at 03:27 PM.

If you have the assumption that the best way to harvest wisps is to kill them, then you are DEAD WRONG.
    You must be the people were players have spent an hour to set all the wisps up in one area and they come along and kill them all in 30 minutes of harvesting and pushing them back into the treeants and mobs. I absolutely hate working with essence just because of the wisp killers.

Default Sadly though

We have to get tainted shining, and what other way to get it, other than slaying the *innocent* wisp???

Thats for tainted, not for regular essence

Thread Information