Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Log In

Default Can't Log In

I've been gone for quite a while, last fall I'd say. Thought I'd check back and try the game out again. I'd downloaded the game and let it do all it's updating and patching and all that. But I can't log into the game. I've tried logging in with my old characters, it get's as far as 'looking for character stats' and then gives an Error ID 91 and to try again later. Tried creating a new character, it gets as far as "Receiving New Character Essence' or somesuch and does the same thing.

I've already submitted a ticket, but after a couple days haven't heard anything back.

Any suggestions?
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

Hopefuly someone else can help. I think I had this happen to me once and I had to reinstall if I remeber correctly. Hope to see you in the world soon.

Heh...it's a fresh install.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

I can not remeaber if mine was off a freash install or not. I want to say no but never can tell. I would say try a recall from the web page but your not getting out to the char creation. I would check the help section that I am sure you have and maybe try a full scan to make sure all the files got updated.

Hopefuly some of the more computer savey or people that have had similar problems will pop up. Oh one question do you have a creative sound card? A lot of been haveing problems with the game and those sound cards. If you do try disabling it.

Make sure you have the most recent release of .NET

A fresh install isn't the same as a new install. A fresh install can be a bad install just as easily as an old install.

Some general system things to try...

Scandisk (or equivalent)

Norton Windoctor (or equivalent)

Spybot search and repair (or equivalent)

a good Antivirus scan with up to date AV tables.

Also,

There is a way to bypass some of the launcher screens, I believe, and go straight to password/login for game. Anyone care you describe how, so this person can try that method of logging in?

Other than that, the steps I know to try have already been mentioned.

Well, by fresh install, I meant that the game was not on my computer and hadn't been in quite some time, so I downloaded it and re-installed it. As to the general maintenance suggestions, they are all performed reguarly on my computer, cuz I'm a freak that way. LOL

All that has been done within the last day or two, certainly since I re-installed Horizons. I'm hoping to not have to re-install it again, as it took a really long time with patching and all that.

Thansk for the response.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Quote Originally Posted by Cheopis
    Make sure you have the most recent release of .NET
    This not true. The latest framework install is 2.0. You need 1.1, which you can find -- I think -- by clicking on the ".NET Framework Help" link on the login page. These two installs can co-exist on your computer, by the way.

Why does this always happen to folks on weekends, when the Tulga support folks are off? Anyway, you should search that error # on the boards. I 'm pretty sure I've seen it before. Hope that helps some.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

To bypass the web page log in go in to your horizons folder in program files and use the Horizonslauncher.exe See if you still get the same issues.

Another thing to try is disable the windows xp firewall in control panel that was introduced in SP2. I'm assuming you also use an anti virus program like Norton etc. Make sure horizons has permission to go through that. Then with those two things done see if you still get the same issue.

If you're using a hardware firewall make sure the right ports are open. Horizons needs access to 47101-47104 for authentication server and 47701-47704 for play server.

Also try unchecking the .net patcher option on the Horizons web page log in. I remember reading that has something to do with log in issues. Also you can try clear the world catch folder in the horizons dir then do a full scan with log in.

Thanks for the suggestions! After my last post, I decided to uninstall and re-install it again. So if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the things you have suggested. I don't use the windows firewall, I have Zone Alarm which I am familiar with and have given the relevant permissions for Horizons to run. I'll try unchecking the .net patcher option. I already knew about and was using the horizonslauncher.exe since I prefer it over the webbased one. Hopefully the reinstall will take care of it.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

I know many people who have many zonealarm problems with horizons, I just ripped that garbage from my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoth
    Thanks for the suggestions! After my last post, I decided to uninstall and re-install it again. So if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the things you have suggested. I don't use the windows firewall, I have Zone Alarm which I am familiar with and have given the relevant permissions for Horizons to run. I'll try unchecking the .net patcher option. I already knew about and was using the horizonslauncher.exe since I prefer it over the webbased one. Hopefully the reinstall will take care of it.
    This could be the problem. The first time you run Horizons after a new install you MUST START IT FROM THE WEB SITE. And you must wait for the ActiveX control and permissions tabs to run. The Developers have stated this many times.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Landowyn
    This could be the problem. The first time you run Horizons after a new install you MUST START IT FROM THE WEB SITE. And you must wait for the ActiveX control and permissions tabs to run. The Developers have stated this many times.
    Well, I just reinstalled Horizons and ran it from the web site. ActiveX control never came up and asked for permissions. Way back when I gave permission for ActiveX when I actively played.

Incidentally, still not working after reinstall.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoth
    Well, I just reinstalled Horizons and ran it from the web site. ActiveX control never came up and asked for permissions. Way back when I gave permission for ActiveX when I actively played.

Incidentally, still not working after reinstall.
    That would be a problem as I know they have had at least 1 update to the ActiveX web page settings. I want to say they have have had a update and I had to down load a new activeX plug-in for the page in the last 2 weeks. I am not sure how you can force the page to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    That would be a problem as I know they have had at least 1 update to the ActiveX web page settings. I want to say they have have had a update and I had to down load a new activeX plug-in for the page in the last 2 weeks. I am not sure how you can force the page to download it.
    I searched the forums and found instructions on how to manually update the ActiveX controls. Did that, still can't log in.

I'm not really very optimistic as my searches also turned up a thread that was started in april by someone getting Error ID 91, and there was a post today from one of the people having the problem stating it still hadn't been resolved and he was cancelling his account.

Admittedly, one of the things that has piqued my interest is the promised graphic and performance updates in the Expansion. However, just trying to get to play again over the last 3-4 days has reminded me of one of the reasons I left, as well as reading some of DB's comments on the expansion. There's no indication of when the expansion may be available. From past experience I wouldn't expect any ETA made to be 'firm' or even terribly accurate. However, it would be nice if they are talking weeks, months, years or off in the misty depths of the future, unknowable, unseeable, unfathomable......etc. It's one of the things that differentiates this company from many others.

Anyway, I'm getting rather frustrated that I'm unable to even log in. My last time logging in was in February 2006. The only thing I have done since then was uninstall and reinstall Horizons. It really shouldn't be that difficult to play a computer game, and shouldn't require a programming degree or experience to get it running. That's very user unfriendly. I'll wait and see what a customer service rep says in response to my ticket. At this point, I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Still no response from customer service. What's the usual response time nowadays?
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Mordoth PM Reyem TG with your case number he is pretty good about trolling the forms looking for such cases. He may have found it if it had been in help /9-> I am surpised no one has moved it there.

You might try a fresh reboot, disable zone alarm (temporarily), and go straight to the web login. If I recall, theres a few IE6 settings you might have to change to allow the active X control to install itself. Active X controls were the subject of a IE6 exploit a few months back, it's possible you disabled them at that time? Just something to try.

The active X control installs itself to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ I believe. Copying the file there may not completely install it tho. Copy it in, then right-click it and select "Update". It might re-download itself when doing that and make the approriate registry entries.

I could email you the current working versions of the hz.exe, the silentlauncher.exe, and you could unzip them in the horizons folder, try 1 last time.

I've received a response from Customer Service about my ticket. The information I was given was that there is a known issue with Creative Labs (the software for my sound card) and that they are working on resolving the issue. The work around is to DISABLE my sound card. Something which I am not willing to do. Perhaps I'll see if the issue is resolved when the expansion comes out in a couple years or so.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Mordoth try logging into blight. If you cna get that to work there is a small workaround, That I am using, that will let you play on live with the blight client.

Seems like they have enought people with the problem that they have moved the fix up to blight and are testing it currently. They were adasking for people with the problem in game to get IRC so hoprefuly they will have it fixed sooner then that.

Thread Information