Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live Update (06.14.2006)

well that would be ok if the /setpref commands would change the LOD's...but they arent. whether i do it from ingame or change em in the pref file manually they always revert back to true.
    /setpref lodenabled = false
    /setpref terrainlodenabled = false
    /setpref charlodenabled = false
    /setpref chartexturelodenabled = false

am i missing something that will make those stick as false? atm they wont...quality/performance silders in the options tabs set to max also. i still get the terrain at the edge of my view dist as a lower lv detail. any help would be appreciated.

me too LO...this new simplified options tab licks the underside of my dragon's tail
    A dark shadow in the night skies...

The new tab is for new players and players who aren't that technically minded who often have major difficulties configuring their graphics. This can lead to frustrations because of poor game performance. And while we acknowledge that there are situations and cases where performance isn't that great, there are others where they are good but poorly configured graphcis settings can heavily impact that.

The big question for updating the prefs is, what folder is your ClientPrefs_Graphics.def file located in? It should be in the \prefs\ folder as that does not get updated by the patcher.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Does anyone know how to make it show equipment that other people are wearing (boots, armguards, shoulderpads, etc.)? It's not showing them for me anymore and the option isn't in the video tab anymore.

I would suggest to keep the video options tab similar to how it is with the addition of a pull-down "advanced" tab in that same window that would allow us to adjust other settings like character detail, terrain, etc., individually (quite like before). That way, the newer users could choose to either use the options as they are, or further adjust the settings with not too much difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    My ambient sounds were working fine, no looping or anything. I would prefer having the old level of control for my graphics settings, however.
    I don't know if it was my ambient sounds looping but in kion and aug i was getting the music from sslanis. repeating ever few seconds.

not sure if it was from the patch or the fix for the x-fi soundcards.
    Brain: It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob.
    Pinky: You have no idea.

Does anyone know how to make it show equipment that other people are wearing (boots, armguards, shoulderpads, etc.)? It's not showing them for me anymore and the option isn't in the video tab anymore.
    If you have your graphics on maximum performance it will not display the extra clothing on other characters.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    If you have your graphics on maximum performance it will not display the extra clothing on other characters.
    Hmm, my Video tab under Options no longer has a bar to set performance--it simply reads something like "High Quality" or some such with no way to change it. Is changing the performance value somewhere else in Options, or is it a setpref command now?
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Ahh ok. I got it. Thanks, Amon. :-)

No, Tantalyr, its a bar near the top. It slides from Maximum Performance to Highest Quality.

No, Tantalyr, its a bar near the top. It slides from Maximum Performance to Highest Quality.
    Thanks! I'll look for it when I log back in. *polishes bifocals*
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I think this one got lost in the shuffle but I'm having the same one:

The Tell Notification Volume slider always resets to min after hitting ok. Even if you hit apply first, it resets after ok, thus, no sound.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Default Partical effects?

• Particle effects associated with spells will now scale based on the character's skill level.
    This seems to have been scaled too much? I see only a minimal flash on all augmentations (gifts/ehances/swift feet). With base Aug at 600 and level of 86/rating 100 I would expect more than that?

It is based on skill not school level, from 1 to 1000.

What's up with the character texture LOD & stuff anyway? I didn't like how my dragon's scales get downgraded a texture level or two whenever I pull my camera more than halfway back and tried to do /setpref CharTextureLODenabled false, but no success. I eventually logged out and manually set it in clienprefs_grapic.def to false, but when I log back in the client 'corrects' it back to true?

I just want my texture LOD the way it used to be.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

agreed Varangaard...obviously something is amiss here Amon. my LOD's arent holdin on false either, when i do a setpref from in game or manual style. make an advanced tab like someone suggested a few posts back for those of us that wish to have all those options back...i for 1 had my settings configured exactly how i wanted em to get the best performance i could from the client as stands while retainin max textures and no LOD switches. after much tinkering i still cant get it to how it was with this new setup. it just aint workin as intended.
    A dark shadow in the night skies...

well I still dont have this patch on unity atm but by what I read here I suggest to reimplement all options for manual settings adjustment, just under an extra window like "expert grafic options" so that players that know how can easy configure their settings without working hardcode on pref files and relogging for each try.

Quote Originally Posted by R`aven Sky`Dash
    agreed Varangaard...obviously something is amiss here Amon. my LOD's arent holdin on false either, when i do a setpref from in game or manual style. make an advanced tab like someone suggested a few posts back for those of us that wish to have all those options back...i for 1 had my settings configured exactly how i wanted em to get the best performance i could from the client as stands while retainin max textures and no LOD switches. after much tinkering i still cant get it to how it was with this new setup. it just aint workin as intended.

I too have spent countless times logging in and logging out trying to RE-tinker my graphics settings to something that I can tolerate. I HAD done this long long long ago and NOW we are forced to do it again, however, it would appear that some of these settings are now dependent on others and I for one and LESS THAN IMPRESSED. Maybe TG should put back the old setup for those of us that DID know what we were doing and have a new setting for those that have no clue and dont want to tinker.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    I too have spent countless times logging in and logging out trying to RE-tinker my graphics settings to something that I can tolerate. I HAD done this long long long ago and NOW we are forced to do it again, however, it would appear that some of these settings are now dependent on others and I for one and LESS THAN IMPRESSED. Maybe TG should put back the old setup for those of us that DID know what we were doing and have a new setting for those that have no clue and dont want to tinker.
    I agree to that!!!! After this stupid new thing I have 10 frames less than before. And I dont have the time and I DO NOT WANT TO play around with strange setpref-options.
    Can we please change this back?
    I can definitely see NO performance improvement by this reset. On both machines I have the game installed at
    And it took me also a long and hard time to figure out how my performance works optimum.
    Last edited by Susan; June 16th, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
    Susan - Lvl 85 Tink and many, many other crafting classes
    Andarielle - Lvl 100 Adv / Lvl 100 Cra Dragoness

Former ICE

Quote Originally Posted by Susan
    I have 10 frames less than before.
    Interesting... I've moved from a custom mode based on just adjusting the distance viewer slider a bit further out and otherwise keeping the Best Performance settings at their default to the default insane graphic modes, gained distance I can view, and increased FPS by 10ish (fluctuates still).
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

logged in to try out the new changes after a hiatus to see if the game runs any faster after the latest patch. Sadly no luck.

I get anywhere from 19-45 fps out in the countryside, but the moment I get within draw distance of a plot, dragonlair or town my fps drops to an unbearable 5-7 fps range.

Personally, I think poor fps is Horizon's biggest problem. Its quite a shame that even though I've gone through several computer upgrades, the game actually runs slower on my machine today than it did on the machine I had when Horizons came out a few years ago.

The reason for this seems to be because the framerate tends to drop through the floor around any kind of building or structure. However, when Hz first came out there were relatively few plots and those were restricted to the main cities and playertowns. Most of the countryside was pristine so it was largely possible to avoid the lag inducing areas. Then came the server merge and the redesign of the world to add in far more plots. The end result was that it became much much harder to avoid the lag inducing areas.

Today, its even worse because many of the plots are tremendously built up and produce far more lag than unbuilt plots. Furthermore, the dragonlairs themselves tend to produce a tremendous amount of lag even when only the opening is visible. The engine is still taking processor power to draw out lair parts that should really not be drawn at all because they are not visible.

The end result of all these built up plots is the game runs awful over a large swath of the terrain. And as the plots get built up even more the game runs even worse.

I would LOVE it if the developers added in a slider that controlled the draw distance on all terrain objects. Or perhaps one slider for terrain objects (trees and rocks) and a second slider for structures (buildings, scaffolding).

It would be awesome to be able to set view distance to 3/4 to see off into the distance, yet still have the game run extremely fast by having the structure draw distance set to a much closer distance.

For dragonlairs maybe just have it draw the opening and not render any interior until you come within a certain distance.

A checkbox to disable all drawing of scaffolding would also help a little bit.

Would also be nice if there was a checkbox to disable the head turning. Some people might like it, some might not. Matter of personal preference. Personally I don't like it. When I pan my view around my dragon to admire it I don't want to only see the back of my dragon's head.
    Last edited by Fireclaw; June 17th, 2006 at 10:24 AM.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Thread Information