Thread: Shameless Review my BattleMage thread

Default Shameless Review my BattleMage thread

spent a few hours picking peoples brains to learn machanics in game spent 3 hours thinking things through. i'm sure other classes will be added later on but this is already a ton of work ahead of me. let me know what you all think. plan to spend most if not all points on power/fire(i really like fire and i really like hurting things and i like doing both in plate with a bit of healing and a pretty sword ).
    :edit: please note this is in drothonian short hand and i've yet to sleep so if you need some clerification please feel free to ask

BUILD:
    class progression
    Mage 100-High power+fire/eng
    Battle Mage 100-Melee skills main class
    Druid 88 -heals and a few passives+cyclone
    Monk 10-Foresight
    Fitter-for Str
    Weaver-For Dex
    Spellcrafter-for spells
    Enchanter-goes well with spellcrafter
    (level mage to 100 first spend all points on power/flame)

Final build

1000 power
    1000 flame/energy
    1000 Dex
    1000 Str
    1800 Health
    800 1h slash
    Access to all arcane/nature spells. Access to heaviest of armor. Access to most 1h weapons+shields. 1 Item crafting skill 3 construction crafting skills

Abilities list

Shimmering Field IV(def boost)
    Melee Flurry II(less damage higher rof)
    Multistrike II(Two additional melee swings)
    Enhanced Flame Bolt X(high damage ranged fireball)
    Blazing Strike IX(+Fire damage single attack)
    Reflect Attack IV(reflects 80% dmg from single attack)
    Power Boost II(+Power,passive)
    Fiery Judge IV(2.25x damage single attack)
    Magus Style III(+dmg,chance to stun, last x mins)
    Energy Saber II(aoe radial)
    Health Boost II(boost health,passive)
    Weapon Expert(boost weapon dmg,passive
    Multicast II(Spell goes off 4 times)
    Melee Ward IV(+evade melee)
    Flame Expert(+flame damage,passive)
    --------------------------------------
    Engulf III(Fire Based DOT)
    Fusion Burn(All fire damage is ethreal for a short time)
    Counterspell Other III(has a chance to protect from magic)
    Perfect Spell(for a time all spells hit)
    Burn Armor II(Lowers fire resist)
    --------------------------------------
    Instant heal V(Heal)
    Vigor(+psysical resist,passive)
    Growth II(Regen)
    Field of Growth(Group regen)
    Forest Mist(+evasion group)
    Vivacity(+psysical resist,passive)
    Focus Boost(+focus,passive)
    Nature Adept(+nature spell dmg,passive)
    Petrify(short melee stun)
    Natures Fury(+range/melee dmg for group)
    Resilience(+psysical resist,passive)
    :Total levels 288: like i said alot of work ahead of me

Classes i might take up someday down the road. wizard(some of that stuff is handy) and warrior but i've tried to avoid any classes i dont have to have for now and i can do just fine with the melee stuff from battle mage
    Last edited by Droth; June 19th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Rother Galant-Order
    If a dragon was hiding under a rock would you be the one to tell him he's not fooling anyone?

Naisha

well so far it looks like a good arcane build except for a few things
    1. cyclone cannot be casted in battlemage if i recall
    2. vigor, vivacity, resilience replace each other
    3. no nature (except bolts, root and resist/wards ) can be casted from the arcane schools

i would highly suggest getting the warrior school done early as it's really annoying to level, also suggest replacing druid with cleric/healer for better heals and the gifts

arcane schools kill really quickly and do well with pulling multiple adds due to their bombs
    Last edited by Naisha; June 19th, 2006 at 02:34 PM.

The bonuses you'd get from the higher augmentation and stronger heals with cleric/healer over druid would really make up for the minor mastery of some resists.
    Both mage and battlemage are rough to level alone, ya.. warrior first is much easier.

thanks i had been wondering about all of those things once again the wondefull community has saved me months of wasted time
    Rother Galant-Order
    If a dragon was hiding under a rock would you be the one to tell him he's not fooling anyone?

ok i've been thinking about this more as i've played my mage a bit and i've decided on chaos war instead of battle mage. i'll have to take conj up to 94 to get multcast II but the whole sale slaughter house that i will become is well worth the trade off. fights would go like this. mez, burn armor,sear,multicastII+all those handy fire boost spells,Best fire spell,mez, multi cast I,Second best fire spell,ice root,debuff/buff, enter slaughterizer mode with my hammer(if it's still alive) and kill the crap out of it. and of corse once i get mage/conj/chsw to 100 take up a little cleric/healer to reduce downtime
    :edit: also by that time i should be able to get ahold of the heavy armor and weapons i would need to properly outfit myself
    Rother Galant-Order

One snag - MC II overwrites MC I.

Also I think you could do it faster by just tossing an MC spell on it, then beating the crap out of it with your melee abis.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

I like your build that being said, here are my comments on it:

first of all, know that this build (without healer) will have somewhat low focus. which means your spells will miss more often on tough opponents. it's not really all that bad though, especially when you can just melee or use perfect spell.

training points: boosting your power is a great investment. but i would advise against training too much into flame, since it is possible to "overspend" on spell skill. anything over the amount needed for a 3x teched firey strike 5 is going to be a waste IMO. any leftover points should go into melee skill, or focus, or another spell skill like ice/mind/energy.. etc.

warrior might also be a great addition to your build, for max weapon skills and shield.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

how much skill in fire/ice/nature/whatever will i need to use the highest tier fully teched spells? if i had a hard number on skill requirements i could invest my points better
    Rother Galant-Order

if you put three tier V techs on a firey strike V, your looking at 980 base skill, +40 for each tech (and i think accuracy 5 is +30. spell techs are very confusing). so it's 1100 skill. it's one of the most demanding spells as far as skill goes.

energy spells can be triple teched no problems. i think the highest skill needed for fully teched tier 5 stuff is 1020. 1010 if you tech accuracy.

highest in ice is 1070, the (very important) ice root spell Binding crystals is 920 skill when fully teched.

you really don't need to tech mind spells (no good techs). highest base skill is daunting mist @ 970 skill. to use tier 5 mind spells you will need to take sorcerer to 100 though. mage doesnt get enough skill

summoning also has very few techs, and only 2 real spells. 970 for a fully teched flame spear. 1020 for the fully teched ice hammer. you will need 100 conjuror, and lots of training points to achieve this.

so those are the hard numbers, and I hope i am correct given all the complexities of techs. if im not, im very close. (I really can't comment on other spell types like nature. I dont have any experience with them. But the techs adding to the skill work the same way regardless of spell type.)

skills cost 3 training points for 1 skill point:

so you would need 300 training points into flame to get to 1100.

training points are one of the issues multiclassers have to deal with. you will have to make some tough choices
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Another good way to check spell requirements is to snag the Craft Calculator from the Download page, and start building those spells in your down time. The numbers there are pretty accurate these days.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

My build:

Battlemage 100 lvls...main class Shimmer Field, Reflect Attack, Mith plate
    Mage 100 lvls...Power, flame, MC, Perfect spell
    Wizard 100 lvls...Energy, some mor epower, stuns
    Conjurer 100 lvls...Ice, Summoning
    Sorcerer 100 lvls...Mind and mezzes
    Monk 100 lvls...Dex, foresight, Detox, very nice melee skills for lvling lower schools
    Healer 100 lvls...Top flight heals and Augmentations, focus
    Warrior 100 lvls...Melee skills, HP, things of that nature
    Shaman 96 lvls...Expulse, DoTs, Curse of Enfeeblement, Blight Ward V etc
    Druid 88 lvls...Nature Resistance/Ward V spells
    Spiritist 85 lvls...Spirit Resistance V spell, a nice little Improved Spirit Bolt IV for Harden Shell, Syphons, couple of DoTs, Spiritwalk
    Spearman 44 lvls...+20 masterable passive block bonus
    Berserker 44 lvls...Battle Hardened I
    Cleric 30 lvls..Dispirit Foe

Plans...The 4 Disciple schools to around 56-58 lvls of each for the Passive +50 wards. Possibly Cleric to 100 for Dispirit Foes.

My main stats are over 1000 each excepting strength. I primarily use spells so strength is no great concern.

I used TP to get flame, energy, and ice high enough to cast 3x t5 teched spell avaialable. Put enough in Mind to allow Debase/Daunting Mist V. The rest I split between evasion and power.

Hat, necklace(health base), shield and sword are all 3x sockets all carry +100 health crystals, +45 armor crystals and +45 power crystals(except sword). Sword carries a Radiant Erosion Crystal instead of +45 power.

All my spells(less bolts) that can be range techs are so teched, other techs are damage, and reistance reduction or slowing effect, i.e. Ice Snare.

Energy bolts carries Stun.

Hope it's of interest or help
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Thread Information