Thread: Cool: Flying Disks

Hybrid View

All you people just don't get it do you.
    I'm not the one asking for a speed upgrade.
    All I was pointing out. That for a fly disk it is better suited as a walking disk.
    Again: if you would look at normal flight versus walking speed.
    You will see that base flight is 75. Base run: 50.
    Thus as you fly you always get a 'road'bonus added. + 25.
    Not counting other benefits as being able to go cross country in a straight line.
    Now if you take a look at a normal disk.
    If it was speed 25. You get another +25 when on the road.
    If you take the flying disk a logical conclusion in comparison with walking without a disk, you would assume that a flight speed cap for a cargo disk would get the road bonus added at all times.
    However the developers have changed the rules. And instead of making a cargo disk walk: 25 , fly +25: meaning 50.
    They only added +7: resulting in 32. So here they don't give a permanent road bonus. And actually making this disk better at running if you are able to follow the road: 50, than flying at 32.

Do you all get it now? I simply made an observation. I was not asking in any way to have it at 50. All I'm saying that if the normal rules where applied it should have been 50. Which it isn't. So don't go complaining about this flying disk. You are better off with normal non flying deluxe disk. It only has benefits for dragons which have lairs that are reachable only by flight. In comparison with normal flight this disk is more of a handicap than a help.
    Oh and about the statement of well they can fly over mobs with that disk.
    We already could do it without a disk, so the disk doesn't change the rules, all it does is make it possible to transport more by air. You could have just aswell parked your disk somewhere, and fly a couple of times over. And since dragons have a large inventory, in comparison to the bulk of the disk. It will even out in transport times.
    It is only a matter of choice. Transfer a lot at once, or do more inventory only runs.
    This disk won't make dragons all of a sudden so much better at transporting stuff. You can only transport more by flight at a much slower speed.

Salis

Genius SIR,

I again state I dont have a problem with the flying disk, my issue is with the speed. Get it?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

No I don't.
    You want it capped at 50 fly speed than?

Absolutely NOT Sir. Fly speed should match the ground speed. That Sir is my entire point.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

OK. Maybe we should take it from this angle.
    Maybe we should remove the road bonus. Since a flying disk is slower in the air than used on the road. That is not normal. Every bird I can think of is quicker in flight than on the ground. So a flying disk should at all times be quicker than a disk on the ground.
    Be glad the cap is at 32 and not 50.
    Seranthor, I cannot help it if you use disk the wrong way.
    A tarbash is meant for transporting goods, and transport goes by road. On the road. So you get a ROAD bonus for it.
    If you go around prancing in the wildnerniss with a Tarbash, you should take a look at all the other disk that are in the game. Maybe a compact Tarbash is of better use if you are so concerned with speed.

Base flight speed is 1.5 times base run walking speed. Or if you look at it as the road bonus added at all times +25.
    If cap on ground speed is 25. In 1.5 mode, flight speed should be capped at 37.5 or if road bonus applied 50.
    It is only 32. So it is less than what it really should be. Be glad, stop complaining. The disk is slower in the air, than on the ground, unless ofcourse you use it the wrong way. But that is your problem. Not mine.

Dear Sir, Thank you for again enunciating your OPINIONS, I do not share them. With regard to your contention that I dont know what I'm doing with disks you clearly have no idea what I know or dont know. Roads cover a mere fraction of the land, and yes, even the dragons get road bonus for being on them. I'm not concerned with MY speed sir, I'm concerned with the EXTRA GIFT of additional speed in conjunction with FLIGHT that these flying disks will provide. Perhaps your oblivious to the fact that there ARE those in your ilk that ARE campaigning for additional stacks to the flying disks, but that doesn't go unnoticed to those dragons and bipeds that ARE being intellectually honest about the ramifications of the flying disks AND the additional Dragon affirmitive action gifts that have been doled out. If your intent on bringing real world logic into the mix lets use the example of C-5 transport plane, they can carry a godly amount of material in their hold, however, they can carry store more than they can takeoff and fly with.

How do you justify letting a dragon carrying/pulling 17k bulk FLY with more speed than that same dragon running across the land with the same 17k bulk? I await your response.

Justify it. Simple.
    Why can I fly with 2800 bulk inventory only and fly over the land at a speed of 75. And with that same capacity only walk at 50 over the land or at 75 when using the road. The devs designed it this way.

Can you justify this.
    When pulling a load of 17K flying I am capped at 32. And when running on land with that same load on the road I can pull it a 50?
    Why am a slower in flight than on land?

Reality(that is RL). It has no bearing here.

Dragon disks are not created using tinkering technology alone, but they also incorporate magic. The same magic that allows a huge creature to fly despite not having the wingspan to justify moving said mass so fast.

In reality and according to the story the quest giver gives us, dragon disks are the tinkerer version only modified by a dragon researcher. So, comparing dragon disks and tinkerers disks is a bit silly.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Default Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Absolutely NOT Sir. Fly speed should match the ground speed. That Sir is my entire point.
    My dragon got her first flying disk. I can't say that making the fly speed any slower than it is, would do much of any good. When I am on a road, I won't fly. Moves slow as molasses. I can deal with it though, by , as I said, using the road when I can. Other than that, I will fly.

I don't mind the speed as it is now, but making it slower, eh? No please don't.

Ok here's the real beef about "flight speed vs. disk"

I made my "level 60" dragon flying disk (steel-granite)

Just like a Tarbash... it limits your speed to 18 (and flight speed to 28)

Dragons don't get a "road bonus" while flying... hence:

18 + 25 = 43 run speed for a dragon sludging along a road... vs.

28 for a dragon flying a straight line over things like mountains and mobs.

Both bi-peds and dragons get the road bonus while running, which makes towing a disk less of a chore. Both get 43 run speed when on a road. In a dead heat race it will be a tie (well maybe the dragon by a "neck" he he he)

take for example regular flight for a dragon

After your ROP your flight speed is 75 with no modifiers... this is equal to bi-ped 50 + road speed 25 and is always the speed, and goes no slower unless you press the "=" slow flying key (walking for bi-peds). Is it unfair that dragons get a 100% never fails road bonus while flying? No... because that is the perks for being a dragon. But unless you are an ancient, with Drulkar's wings, you get 2 teched wings to make you fly faster.

For a bi-ped, they get 1 teched item (boots) to go faster, plus spells, plus potions to "run" faster. There are no in-game potions/spells to make your velocity go faster.

If the disk were to be modified... I would suggest to match the flying speed with a constant road bonus and make this version of it go 43 instead of 28.

Why?

Because you play a dragon to get perks for being a dragon. Flying is a perk, being able to drag a flying disk around is a perk. And making that disk any slower than it is would just be dumb and make it totally useless in my opinion.

(Oh... you CAN detach those while flying... so be watching the skies for falling objects)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

I respectfully disagree on this. I think the +10 to ground speed is too much and I've elaborated my feelings in the myriad of threads already covering these flying cargo disks. Bipeds have to make the choice to run or pull a disk. Dragons should have the privledge of that same choice.

Thread Information