Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cool: Flying Disks

the Arc which you speak is also depends on a global terrain also... in HZ the world appears to be flat... thus your not worried about a great circle routes, etc.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

I WANT IT TO BE FASTER!!!! 40 flight speed will still be boring as hell.

Of course, what would really happen is dragons would become an air-frieght company.

Hmm wonder what I could charge .$$.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Run 25, Fly 32 eh?... I still dont see why run/fly should not be the same speed. Thusfar I've seen no compelling reason. Or maybe as one above has pointed out I see things more in black and white and not in colours.
    Because you have to fly at a certain minimal speed or you will loose lift and stall. Then you crash unless a really good pilot.

I haven't read what all flying variations will be available, but they should come in regular kinda slow 10 stack version, higher bulk single stack version, and compact version that's twice as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    Of course, what would really happen is dragons would become an air-frieght company.

Hmm wonder what I could charge .$$.

lol
    Dear Valued Dragon Express Customers

Due to recent fuel increases the current cost of Overnight or Same Day deliveries has exponentially increased. In addition to the new fuel surcharges flying your shipments over blighted areas requires an additional "Hazard" fee to be determined upon landing.
    This page intentionally left blank.

Reading all the posts here just made me laugh

Especially the repeated uses of SIR by Seranthor What happens if the poster if female

For me... the only good use for the flying disk is when collecting Azulyte crystals for focusing. The lair above the fields are a little tricky to traverse using the "pull the disk up the terrain" method... but now I can fly my tarbash to the crystalshaping lair. This will make gathering crystals easier.

Another thing I do is assemble the final product in either bi-ped silos or lair storage, and transport them from South March to my lair just north. Once the final product is made, I can swap disks to the flying one and transport them to my lair using flight, instead of the twisty windy road just so I can keep that "road bonus" and because my lair is up on a cliff side, I have to yank my disk up to the arch bridge that connects my lair to the other lair across the chasm.

Another use for the flying disk is teamwork

One dragon uses a deluxe disk to gather the tricuts and loads up another dragon with the finished gems. That dragon in-turn flies them to a holding silo / storage.

As for the flight speed... ok, they get capped at a speed (disk speed + 25) to compensate for flying vs. running on land, and yes... we can make a straight line (minus ascending / descending distance) but in a race I bet a bi-ped could possibly win this race

Take Justa for example... With his disk bonus and road bonus he can run at 48 towing a tier V disk when on a road. That's 2 less than a beginner player with no road bonus. Now granted I haven't tested this yet, I bet that the dragon and I would arrive just about the same time at a given destination providing it was on flat ground and the destination wasn't up on some cliff-face. Otherwise the dragon wins easily because I cannot fly.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    in a race I bet a bi-ped could possibly win this race
    I propose a race then a short one at that... from the gem mine on Kion Volcano to the Parsinia teleporter. That is a pretty straight shot, and a nominal distance... however I would almost guarentee that the Dragon and the current disk would always win.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

How about a more interesting contest--from the cobalt field near Dralk (by the community lair) to the Dralk portal. It's a fair length with all road for the biped hauling a disk, and some rugged terrain for the dragon with the flying disk to get around/over.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Folks hardly get road bonus EVERYwhere SIR... or did you intentionally forget that?
    I don't know about you, but I can usually manage to find a road going more or less where I want to go when I have to drag the disk any great distance. I use the road bonus a LOT when dragging cargo disks and I suspect most people do. It's probably no use for you to argue otherwise because TG could easily monitor that and know the truth. Biped plots are usually pretty close to a road. Many lairs, on the other hand are WAYYYYY out in the back of beyond with no road even remotely close.

If it's just like a Tarbash except it flies then I'll certainly replace my existing Tarbash with one when I can. It'll be cool for my dragon to actually be able to MAKE his own disk for the first time ever. Cargo disks were one thing dragons needed but were unable to make for themselves no matter how much time they wanted to put into it.

I'm sure it'll come in handy to the extent that a Tarbash will come in handy (i.e. not a whole lot when you're lairshaping, although sometimes it's nice to have).

Nowadays I usually use a deluxe since nowadays most of my crafting is lairshaping and, as most dragons know, Tarbashes are of limited utility when lairshaping. So this disk isn't going to help me a whole lot. I'm not complaining and in fact I wasn't complaining even without. It'll be fun and cool, and it will finally give dragons a way to make their very own disks for a change, but it isn't going to drastically change the way dragons do things.

Of course people who like to complain will always find something to complain about.

Question: Could a biped use a dragon made cargo disk? Obviously the biped wouldn't be able to fly with it, but could he drag it along the ground like he could a Tarbash?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    in a race I bet a bi-ped could possibly win this race

I propose a race then a short one at that... from the gem mine on Kion Volcano to the Parsinia teleporter. That is a pretty straight shot, and a nominal distance... however I would almost guarentee that the Dragon and the current disk would always win.
    It would depend on how fast the flying cargo disk is but if you're going from the Volcano to Parsinia you can do most of it on a road. If you made the race from the volcano to the KION teleporter the biped would most likely win. At least if the biped does it halfway intelligently.

If you insist on doing things the hard way that's up to you, but others don't need to be penalized because of that.
    Last edited by Goriax; June 27th, 2006 at 03:40 AM.

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Ulkesh
    Dear Valued Dragon Express Customers

Due to recent fuel increases the current cost of Overnight or Same Day deliveries has exponentially increased. In addition to the new fuel surcharges flying your shipments over blighted areas requires an additional "Hazard" fee to be determined upon landing.
    Ok, after a long day and night (and this has been a wonderful thread) this gave me the best giggles. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax

I'm sure it'll come in handy to the extent that a Tarbash will come in handy (i.e. not a whole lot when you're lairshaping, although sometimes it's nice to have).

Nowadays I usually use a deluxe since nowadays most of my crafting is lairshaping and, as most dragons know, Tarbashes are of limited utility when lairshaping.
    If that's you attitude on the usefulness of a Tarbash disk I'll let you in on a little secret....build silos and crafting rooms in your lair. Once you have those you won't be so keen to go back to the deluxe disk. I havn't used anything other than my Tarbash in ages. Being able to port with a disk full of stuff is far more efficient than what you can do with the deluxe. Works real well and a flying one will only be better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide
    IMHO.. all dragon CD's should be Identical to biped CD's cept for the flyin part... Speed, capacity, recall, teleport.. they should all be equal... With that said.. I would like to see that Dragons can no longer use biped CD's when Dragon CD's are implemented... Since the Dragons dont want to be "reliant" on Bipeds for anything.
    No thank you I do not mind being reliant on bipeds for certain things. I have a problem with being reliant on Bipeds for thats that should be Dragon only. Which is Kuntit(sp) quest and to a much smaller degree the AROP. The way the quest was writen and that it is something that was basicly just discovered how to do I can understand to the need to go to the fiend becuase we have not developed our own way of talking to the dead yet. I would like to see over time the quest as we "learn" a way to do it for our selves. Now back to the normal thread. /9->

Needing Bipeds for potions and such I have no problem with. BUT I would like to be needed for things by Bipeds that they can not get from other Bipeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss
    If that's you attitude on the usefulness of a Tarbash disk I'll let you in on a little secret....build silos and crafting rooms in your lair. Once you have those you won't be so keen to go back to the deluxe disk. I havn't used anything other than my Tarbash in ages. Being able to port with a disk full of stuff is far more efficient than what you can do with the deluxe. Works real well and a flying one will only be better for me.
    I agree 100% I have only ever used a Tarbash for Laircrafting, and that is with using public storeage.
    Last edited by Deth; June 27th, 2006 at 02:11 PM.

My dragon, Grymme, only uses a Tarbash for lairshaping as well. But as Lycaunoss aptly suggested, the very first chambers I built in my lair (beyond the initial three-way and a couple of halls) were storage chambers. Once you have access to silos/storage chambers, whether your own or public ones on someone else's plot or lair, Tarbash's are far and away more efficient than other model disks, if only because you can port with them.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Coign

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    No thank you I do not mind being reliant on bipeds for certain things. I have a problem with being reliant on Bipeds for thats that should be Dragon only. Which is Kuntit(sp) quest and to a much smaller degree the AROP. The way the quest was writen and that it is something that was basicly just discovered how to do I can understand to the need to go to the fiend becuase we have not developed our own way of talking to the dead yet. I would like to see over time the quest as we "learn" a way to do it for our selves. Now back to the normal thread. /9->

Needing Bipeds for potions and such I have no problem with. BUT I would like to be needed for things by Bipeds that they can not get from other Bipeds.
    Historically Dragons have never been reliant on bipeds. But those little Naka do make some great toys and I am not above taking them fom them. (or purchasing them since I can't eat them ... yet)

Have you ever seen a dragon hoard that was all dragon crafted items? Of course not, we take the little bipeds pretty baubles and hoard them.

Dravatar

Most powered flight requires a speed greater than that of land to compensate for land's ability to support weight. I really don't see 10 more speed as being unfair in that regard.

Conversely, air is far more fickle than land. Even if flying over a road, I don't see a road bonus being given due to turbulance or other air inherent properties. For that reason, using a road is by far the best travel option, be you dragon or other. Note that using a road nullifies the additional 10 speed given by flight.

A road is the best option for hauling a disk. In that respect all are equal as speed limitations are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss
    I'll let you in on a little secret. Until those silos are built you kind of have to do what you can do without aid from your lair. Furthermore, it is OFTEN the case (especially for low tiers) that the various ingredients aren't all that far apart. In that case you're often better off to combine stuff in the field. Especially for the first couple steps which frequently can be done on machines which are nearby (either because they've community first stage machines, or because some kind landowner has supplied the necessary machines). Since, in many cases, bulk goes down drastically with each stage (the bulk of the result is a fraction of the bulk of the ingredients) you're often far better off to combine BEFORE you take the stuff to the lair. You can get the same amount of finished ingredients even if you have to carry them in your scale pack.

Also, it doesn't always work out to have silos and crafting chambers on the top level. In my case, I decided to put my silos on the second level because it makes for nicer floorplan. However, until I get to the second level, my storage is fairly limited and everything I haul to my lair is finished building products ready to be applied.

I'm not saying Tarbashes are useless for lairshaping. I do indeed use mine a fair amount. But I use my deluxe a lot more then I use my Tarbash.

----------------------------

I think anyone who has a lair on Dralkar (or whatever that island is called) will LOVE this cargo disk. That place has essentially NO roads, it's VERY rough terrain on foot, and most resources and lairs are a LONG LONG way from anywhere or even each other. Of course, there's a lot of lairs in other places which are WAY out in the middle of nowhere with no road in sight let alone a portal. This will be a godsend for dragons with lairs like that. At least until they can get an altar or hall or something built where they can bind. This is different from biped plots, which are usually very close to a road and often a portal.

As for me, I plan to do the quest, and I'll probably retire my Tarbash, but I expect my deluxe to still get a lot of use.

It was mentioned that some would like dragons to not be able to use biped disks. I have no problem with that IF there are dragon equivalents of all the applicable biped disks. They should also give us some warning because it means we would have to replace our existing disks. I would not take it kindly if the same patch which made the dragon deluxe cargo disk available also made it impossible to use my existing deluxe. First make the new disk available and then give us time to make replacements before making it so we can't use the old. Even then some dragons would complain (HZ players like to complain, heh, we even have biped players coming to the dragon board for the sole purpose of complaining).

Here is a good use for mid-level dragon crafters and flying disks... GOLD!

Tons of gold... lots of it!

you just have to kill a few gold golems and you have large fields of it to mine.

Problem is.... towing a tarbash full of gold past the 50-55th level winter wolves is a pain... and very slow to dodge them by taking the long way around their spawn zones... with the new disk, you can fly your gold laden disk over their heads and down to the smelters in Summit.

Tri-Cut gems in Augendell. Everyone usually goes to Summit to do Tricuts, or to various other T3 gem spots in mahagra. Augendell mines have a wonderful spot with all 3 gem-types and a jewelry shop there. once you are done making your Tri-cuts (it would be slow, as you would have to collect all 3 uncut gems in your pack and place the tricuts into your flying Tarbash.) but you then could fly out of the mines to Augendell.

I see some win-win for the disk.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Dravatar
    Most powered flight requires a speed greater than that of land to compensate for land's ability to support weight. I really don't see 10 more speed as being unfair in that regard.

Conversely, air is far more fickle than land. Even if flying over a road, I don't see a road bonus being given due to turbulance or other air inherent properties. For that reason, using a road is by far the best travel option, be you dragon or other. Note that using a road nullifies the additional 10 speed given by flight.

A road is the best option for hauling a disk. In that respect all are equal as speed limitations are exactly the same.
    Dragons would be forced to fly over roads in IFR conditions anyway, but Horizons doesn't simulate moving weather patterns, nor the damage inflicted by a dragon flying into a mountain.

To be serious, I don't really understand why there would be a speed bonus for flight that's only active when a dragon is flying over a road. There's no logical reason for this.

I think anyone who has a lair on Dralkar (or whatever that island is called) will LOVE this cargo disk. That place has essentially NO roads, it's VERY rough terrain on foot, and most resources and lairs are a LONG LONG way from anywhere or even each other. Of course, there's a lot of lairs in other places which are WAY out in the middle of nowhere with no road in sight let alone a portal. This will be a godsend for dragons with lairs like that.
    I completely agree. I hope some bipeds keep this in mind when they critique the dragon's flying disk speed bonus. Building up there is a living hell which I would equal with needing to hike through a bunch of hate wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidken
    Dragons would be forced to fly over roads in IFR conditions anyway, but Horizons doesn't simulate moving weather patterns, nor the damage inflicted by a dragon flying into a mountain.

To be serious, I don't really understand why there would be a speed bonus for flight that's only active when a dragon is flying over a road. There's no logical reason for this.

I completely agree. I hope some bipeds keep this in mind when they critique the dragon's flying disk speed bonus. Building up there is a living hell which I would equal with needing to hike through a bunch of hate wolves.
    Sir, Buying a lair in one of those areas like Drakul or north of the rift was a choice, no one twisted your wing and said 'You must buy this' and thusly the owners of those lair did know what they were getting into and should accept all the consequences with all the benefits thereof.

You are correct in saying there is no logical reason to give road bonus to a dragon flying over a road, it was a bone I orginally suggested to those dragons that feel like they deserve road bonus speeds for ALL flight, whereas in my personal opinion they deserve no more additional speed than a regular disk on the ground. That is if you insist on keeping the same capacity of the ground disk, however if you want to surrender some of the capacity of the airborne disk I'm more than happy to discuss additional speed.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

The fact remains that MANY lairs are FAR from roads or portals. Many. Far more lairs are in godaweful locations then biped plots. Far more.

This cargo disk will be a godsend to dragons with such lairs. Some may say that they shouldn't have bought such lairs. Then again, we were told flying cargo disks would be coming back at the time of the lair auction and some would have picked their lair plot based on that.

Some may object that cargo disks have a fly speed 10 higher then ground speed (the tier 1 I made tonight does, I'm sure higher tiers have more). Such people are entitled to their opinion and that's all it is -- their opinion. My opinion is that they're really looking for nits to pick if they're getting their panties in a knot over a speed boost of a mere 10. Even if a higher tier has a somewhat higher speed my opinion is they're still really scraping the barrel looking for nits to pick.

Dragons have had a fly speed higher then ground speed since they were first flying many years ago. This is not a new development.

Now that I finished the quest I have to say I like the flying cargo disk (uh oh, a dragon actually LIKING something. I must be overpowered.) I only made the tier 1 one but it's kind of cool. Anyway, I like them. I'm glad they were given their own art asset. That was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. It was also kind of cool I was able to park my disk in mid-air. While I can't think of any useful reason for doing that, it's kind of cool.

So YES I LIKE THE FLYING CARGO DISKS. THANK YOU TULGA.

Oh yea, I'm sure that that 10 flying speed boost is going to destroy the game for everyone. Yea right.

I'll still be using my deluxe disk for a lot of things, but I'll be looking for ways to make my BRAND NEW CRAFTED WITH MY OWN CLAWS CARGO DISK where I can. And the fact that I can actually use something I made myself is also kind of cool. It's been VERY rare that I could use something I crafted myself so I find it cool I can here.

This may even get me off my tail and back to working on my lair.

And if some still think dragons are overpowered because they have a cargo disk with a great big 10 speed boost in the air, I suppose I can always moan and groan about the upcoming confectioner change which is FAR more fundamental to gameplay of everyone, not just confectioners. I had decided not to make a big deal out of it, but if a lousy 10 speed boost is worth whining over, the confectioner change is worth a major tantrum. Especially for dragons who cannot be confectioners.

In reality, they're just giving different players different things -- the things they think those players need most -- but anyway.

Be that as it may I will reiterate:

THANK YOU FOR THE FLYING CARGO DISKS TULGA!!!

i'll say the confectioner additions coming whenever are a big boon for bipeds in general, hell the whole game should benefit from it. however they to have been awaited for a long long time. i would really like to see dragon specific recipes because quite frankly, as i've said before, i just cant see dragons drinking carrot soup to rid themselves of a death point. i want rack of ruxus or something.

for some dragons who come in late in the game looking for lairs, its even harder to find one thats NOT off the beaten path. this disk is very handy for those. 10 speed over is not that much imo, its nice, but not to much, not to fast.

and dont forget about the possibilities for bipeds in the future. the new pack animals and such might just give bipeds a faster or more convienant way of carrying goods.
    Last edited by Ulkesh; July 7th, 2006 at 12:13 PM.
    This page intentionally left blank.

Thread Information